Extraordinary Member

Default TV Show Theme Songs - Singing or Just Music?

For those tv shows that have a theme song, do you prefer one with actual singing or just music?

And do you prefer a full song (like Friends) or just a small intro (like Frasier)?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

My favorite is theme songs that are expressly written for the show and explain the characters and premise. Beverly Hillbillies or The Nanny.

Second would be catchy song with relevant lyrics. Greatest American Hero or Golden Girls.

If I can't have those, just do a short musical sting and get to the show. Frasier, to use your example.

Least favorite is long instrumental. Apple TV+ has a lot of these types of credits and I always skip them.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    For those tv shows that have a theme song, do you prefer one with actual singing or just music?

And do you prefer a full song (like Friends) or just a small intro (like Frasier)?
    Situation comedies can work with singing in the theme song.
    Dramas usually are better off having just music with no singing.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I've always admired the Hanna-Barbera cartoons and Sid & Marty Krofft show themes in the 70's... a catchy tune which clearly explains the premise of the show so the episodes can be shown in any order.

I like long openings if they are accompanied by interesting visuals, like Game of Thrones or Westworld. Streaming, with no time slots or commercials to worry about, has led to a nice comeback in the art of the TV theme song. They had pretty much gone extinct or reduced to just a short musical cue over the show title.

Theme with no vocals, a theme with vocals, or just a good song can all work.

Let’s take note that DC has one of the greatest opening “theme” songs and credits, EVAH!

Actually, DC has had a LOT of great opening theme songs and opening credits of various sorts over the decades. The ‘60s Batman and Super Friends opening credits songs and visuals are brilliant.

Retired

The "Seattle" theme song for HERE COME THE BRIDES was originally an instrumental. Then Perry Como released a recording with lyrics, at which the show had vocals by the New Establishment added to the theme music. Cast member and heart throb, Bobby Sherman, did his own recording of the song.

Either way, it's a nice tribute to Seattle and the T.V. series.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoy theme songs that explain the concept of the series - The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch, HR Puff n Stuff, Diff'rent Strokes, etc...

I also love classic songs like the theme to Mary Tyler Moore, The Golden Girls, Cheers

And then there are the beautiful musical themes like Taxi, M*A*S*H, Dallas, and Hill Street Blues

I kind of miss having full credits sequence with all of the regular actors, now that most series have just short few-seconds intro.
    Of course, long credits can start getting on one's nerves when you're not watching one episode per day, but binging multiple episodes in a row...
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The "Seattle" theme song for HERE COME THE BRIDES was originally an instrumental. Then Perry Como released a recording with lyrics, at which the show had vocals by the New Establishment added to the theme music. Cast member and heart throb, Bobby Sherman, did his own recording of the song.

Either way, it's a nice tribute to Seattle and the T.V. series.
    A number of TV shows had cast members singing the theme songs. Among them are Alice, The Brady Bunch (later seasons), All in the Family, unsurprisingly the Monkees and the Partridge Family, Eight is Enough, and The Fall Guy (yes, I went there). The biggest surprise (IMO) is the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson theme. I am positive there are more I missed.

And a TV theme can be said to have truly made it when it gets covered.

Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 02-02-2023 at 04:21 PM.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

And lest we forget...

Well, this IS a comic book forum.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

My Hot take. The Enterprise theme song was the best theme is Star Wars Series

For comedy like it was stated is great for a witty fun theme song.

Drama should be music based.

I also like that 5 O Clock World song from the Drew Carey show I think it was by The Vogues? That was who sung the Original I think but I am not sure who sung it on The Carey Show. It may have been them?
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-02-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The Drew Carey Show had three main theme songs over the course of its run (and a few others for special occasions). First was "Moon Over Parma" sung by Drew Carey himself... then "Five O'Clock World" by the Vogues and also a cover version of it by Bowling For Soup... and "Cleveland Rocks," originally by Ian Hunter but performed by The Presidents of the United States of America. IIRC they once did "The Time Warp" for a Halloween episode.

Invincible Member

There were some classics in back in the day. I can still listen to the Banana Splits theme over and over.

But for a "drama" theme song with great lyrics there's the opening from Baretta