Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This Barry hatred is a little unnerving. The guy has had his own show for nine years and people are still trying to kill him off.
    Nobody hates him. He had a great send off that was ruined by resurrecting him.

They took a character who embodied the heroic sacrifice and was a hero not out of trauma but genuine altruism to a cry baby with a running gag of breaking the timeline every time he misses his mommy. That's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gero4568 View Post
    Barrence Allen
    Ha, I thought I was the only one to think of this joke.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Barry Allen, but not so much his resurrection, but the way in which it was handled.

We lost FAR more than we got back and the retcons stitched onto the return are horrific.
    I hate the murdered mother, wrongly imprisoned father bit. It robs Barry of one of his fundamental character traits!
    He became the Flash to HELP people and emulate his childhood hero Jay Garrick.
    Barry didn't need any motivation or a thirst to avenge a wrong. Doing so changed something fundamental (I think anyway).
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Just to avoid adding to the Barry pile-on (though I think resurrecting him was the worst step backwards DC ever took)

Superman. He's my favorite character, but the idea of DC actually killing him off in 1992 and feeding into the news cycle's belief that this was more than a temporary thing, that could have been epic. And it either would have improved the string of follow-ups (Knightfall, Emerald Twilight, Spider-clone, ...) by giving them real suspense or actually prevented them by making the dead&back trope less appealling.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The Olympian gods. They seem to "die" every 5 years yet they keep coming back.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Superman. The world would have been AMAZING if he came back... in 2022 instead.

I love jason todd though. I'd kill every robin BUT him and Dick.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Considering the circumstances of Jason's death... his resurrection is fair and understandable. I don't care for the evil Robin revisionism as a rationale for his death.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Barry coming back was ridiculous. Wally carried the mantle for a long time, successfully at that. We can barely get Wally in outside media now.

Hal as Spectre is a little more interesting than as a GL. I've heard the story in which he came back made sense, however.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    I don't mind Jason Todd being alive but he should have stayed a villain. Nowadays he is basically just Nightwing but edgier (I think he doesn't even kill anymore!?).

Eh, I'd say Hal's resurrection was understandable due to how terrible Parallax was and it led to an interesting new direction for the GL franchise under Geoff Johns.

However, there was truly no reason to bring back Barry Allen.
    I don't have a problem with Jason now but they literally just put him on a team with Starfire and Speedy and expected people to forget all the **** he did before the New 52.

Barry Allen coming back was dumb cuz everyone just wrote him like Wally.
    "Cable was right!"

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Supergirl died so they could reboot her. Flash died so Wally could take over.
    Kara died for her cousin's sake.

This Barry hatred is a little unnerving. The guy has had his own show for nine years and people are still trying to kill him off.
    Barry had a satisfying ending compared to Kara and Hal. Wally was Flash for a lot of current Flash fans; some mid TV ain't going to change that.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Hal deserved a comeback because the way he was shuffled offstage to introduce Kyle completely fucked him over as a character. Barry's death was perfect, though. There was no redemption needed or historic injustice to right. It was just Didio throwing a tantrum because his childhood fave wasn't on the board anymore.
    Exactly this.

Wally was already The Flash almost as long as Barry Allen but Didio was just being weird about a lot of stuff (see his ridiculous thoughts on Nightwing). Worse still is there were elements introduced into the Flash mythos that were grafted onto Barry Allen from Wally West.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, the inability of some folks in comics to “move forward” is one of the greatest problems of the industry as a whole but I digress.

The Hal Jordan return I can understand. The character was broken and completely f’ed over. He deserved a comeback. Whether he was going to be the main GL is an entirely different discussion.

Hey listen I love Barry Allen. I just think he should have stayed dead for the reasons I noted above. I don't think he should die again...I just don't think he should have come back. Cat is out of the bag now.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Barry Allen, but not so much his resurrection, but the way in which it was handled.

We lost FAR more than we got back and the retcons stitched onto the return are horrific.
    I hate the murdered mother, wrongly imprisoned father bit. It robs Barry of one of his fundamental character traits!
    He became the Flash to HELP people and emulate his childhood hero Jay Garrick.
    Barry didn't need any motivation or a thirst to avenge a wrong. Doing so changed something fundamental (I think anyway).
    Another good point. Although, and I have NOTHING to back this up, I like to think that Johns original plan for Barry Allen would have been to close out his run finding a way for Barry to save his mom. Much like how the twins were saved in Rogue War. He just never had a chance to do it because of The New 52. Thats my theory anyway.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

I don't hate Barry, I just hated how DC propped him over the other flash family members. Same with Barbara over Steph and Cass.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-03-2023 at 10:32 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I agree. I can totally see where a lot of long-time readers are coming from (especially since I use some same points to argue that Jason should be dead). But still, Barry is a) the most iconic Flash and b) his amazing death isn't totally undermined (partially, yes) by his 23-years later return (his sacrifice left a big still-noticeable dent in DC history in the meta, in-story, and publication IRL senses).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-03-2023 at 11:01 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    JASON TODD

He was a proto Tim Drake pre-COIE. Post-COIE, he was an insufferable version of Dick Grayson who arguably had a greater purpose dead than alive. Alive again, he's mostly just insufferable with a role that most any other vigilante type could fulfill.
    That doesn't sound right to me. Pre-Crisis, he was just a Dick expy. Even had the exact same origin - was part of a circus acrobat family called the Flying (surname), parents are killed, kid is adopted by Batman and becomes Robin. It's the post-Crisis one who serves as the prototype for Tim.

As for Barry, he'd have surely come back by the time of the CW show starting anyway, especially with a movie also starring Barry being planned. He would've always come back for the New 52.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-03-2023 at 11:20 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That doesn't sound right to me. Pre-Crisis, he was just a Dick expy. Even had the exact same origin - was part of a circus acrobat family called the Flying (surname), parents are killed, kid is adopted by Batman and becomes Robin. It's the post-Crisis one who serves as the prototype for Tim.
    Post-Crisis Jason was Tim's predecessor. Pre-Crisis Jason wasn't very original but he reflected the sentiment that Batman needed Robin by his side that Tim would echo years later. Post-Crisis Jason's attitude and his death served as the antithesis to that sentiment.

Last edited by bat22; 02-03-2023 at 12:08 PM.