Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The Olympian gods. They seem to "die" every 5 years yet they keep coming back.
    And when they're alive, they tend to be more trouble than their worth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Supergirl died so they could reboot her. Flash died so Wally could take over.
    He didn't. Originally they were going to create an entirely new Flash but went with Wally at the last minute. Even Marv Wolfman was against editorial on killing Barry.

Honestly, I never thought snatching away Barry's happy ending after he had already suffered so much just to have him die an agonizing death, screaming for help, was this great moment people later made it out to be. It felt incredibly cruel and depressing and it was made worse by his replacement constantly saying how he'd surpassed him and having numerous characters come back from the Speed Force when he couldn't.

I love Wally, but Barry is an incredibly significant part of DC and comics history and he was done dirty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    This 100%. And I'll add that most portrayals of Barry in pop culture are closer to how Wally was written versus how Barry was written, which means Wally is clearly the more dynamic character.
    I think that's a common thing people say with little truth to it. It basically boils down to Barry being written as funny sometimes. Honestly, neither Wally or Barry were comic relief characters outside of various media adaptations. JLU Wally took elements of Bart and Barry. I don't see Gustin, Miller or Shipp as being much like Wally except in very superficial ways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This Barry hatred is a little unnerving. The guy has had his own show for nine years and people are still trying to kill him off.
    Yeah, it's tiring. I shouldn't have opened this thread. Watching my favorite get endlessly dumped on is a good reason for me to just disengage from the fandom entirely. And I read comics in the 90s, so it isn't a nostalgia thing for me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I don't have a problem with Jason now but they literally just put him on a team with Starfire and Speedy and expected people to forget all the **** he did before the New 52.

Barry Allen coming back was dumb cuz everyone just wrote him like Wally.
    And that's my number one peeve about Barry and Hal coming back, is that they were written as completely different characters than they had been prior to their deaths. Experienced 'hard-travelling hero' Hal turned into a frat-boy who ends up quitting the League, in his own words, because his screw-ups are giving the team bad publicity, and Barry, also a respected League founder and scientist with enough experience as a hero to have his own Rogue's Gallery, is openly mocked by other Leaguers, even Wonder Woman, of all people, for being naive and new at this and 'terrible' at stuff like interrogating bad-guys or babbling during fights.

What's the point of resurrecting them if you can't be bothered to actually write them?

The writing at the time of their resurrections trashed and disrespected the two characters far worse than 'killing them' could have.

(Of the two, I minded Hal's return the least, because I felt like Hal's death was an ugly, almost mean-spirited, end for the character, unlike Barry's heroic Crisis sacrifice. It felt less like a 'cheap resurrection' and more like 'quietly fixing a mistake.' Just the writing of Hal afterwards made me feel bad for all the Hal fans that wanted him back, only to get this chucklehead pretender to his name.)

I agree about Barry and Hal. DC had so many chances to bring Barry back earlier on, but decided to bail on them each and every time. Now that he's back, Wally is now lost in the shuffle and DC doesn't know what to do with him now. To make matters worse, they introduce a new speedster who's name is also Wally. WTF?

The same deal with Kyle Rayner. DC doesn't know what to do with him either now. He's too good a character to be an afterthought.

I'm one of the few who wishes the Joker would stay dead. We can't all like him y'know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I agree about Barry and Hal. DC had so many chances to bring Barry back earlier on, but decided to bail on them each and every time. Now that he's back, Wally is now lost in the shuffle and DC doesn't know what to do with him now. To make matters worse, they introduce a new speedster who's name is also Wally. WTF?

The same deal with Kyle Rayner. DC doesn't know what to do with him either now. He's too good a character to be an afterthought.

I'm one of the few who wishes the Joker would stay dead. We can't all like him y'know.
    Strongly agree about the Joker.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, it's tiring. I shouldn't have opened this thread. Watching my favorite get endlessly dumped on is a good reason for me to just disengage from the fandom entirely. And I read comics in the 90s, so it isn't a nostalgia thing for me.
    I don't think it's Barry hatred. ((It's DEFINITELY not on my behalf. I have damn near every issue of both Barry and Wally)
    I think people (I know I am) are more ticked at the way DC insisted on throwing out EVERYTHING that they'd read between Crisis & Flash:Rebirth.
    It was a massive screw you to the people who had stuck with the book for 20 years.
    No Jay, Bart, Max, Wally, Linda. Barry and Iris NOT married. All the character progression, all the relationships developed over that time, thrown out.
    Instead of celebrating the return of an iconic super-hero and integrating him back in the DCU with the Flash Family, the focus was SOLELY Barry.
    Then insult to injury, DC started grafting Wally-lore onto Barry while continuing to tell fans Wally was inferior.
    DC editorial helped create the ill will and division that exists within Flash fans.
    Last edited by married guy; 02-04-2023 at 03:42 AM.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Amazing Member

"Barry hatred"
    Nobody hates barry(at best some people wrongly said he is boring) but just look most of the changes of the flash mythos after coming back:
    -Max and Jesse MIA for more than 5 years
    -Trying to made Wally a black teen, then when the main Wally came back he got Tom King'd
    -Bart Allen is a villain
    -Iris is young and not in a relationship with Barry
    Barry has some good stories(Williamson and Manpul) but New52 Clark also had good stories(Morrison, Pak , Geoff and Luang) the problem is that unlike Hal, he doesn't felt that those stories changed ****.
    Also , I don't think Kara should be dead, she should be Superwoman and Linda should become Supergirl

Extraordinary Member

Hawk.
    They should have kept it that he failed his Brightest Day test and he returned to the dead.
    And having Dawn with Holly again as Hawk and Dove.

BANNED

Have to disagree about Hawk III. The mantle of Hawk is never going to be a super-strong heavyweight like Superman or Martian Manhunter, so having a big muscleman milks the role for what it's worth.

Hawk II (Sasha Martens) did a better job because her Hawk-ishness was with her personality and military background. Maybe it would've been better if she was a roided up CrossFit athlete, but Holly Granger trying to outdo Hank Hall with her snarling and chest-thumping while looking about as petite as her sister was laughable.

Last edited by bat22; 02-06-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Yeah, no. Hank Hall got done dirty because DC couldn't handle that their plan to make Captain Atom a villain was leaked.

Holly Granger was a Geoff Johns asspull who was created for the specific purpose of being killed off later on. She was given no introduction, no origin moment, no reasoning for her existence when Dawn Granger was previously portrayed as an only child. She just showed up one day already being Hawk and working with Dawn as Dove as if we'd missed an issue somewhere. Gee, who else was introduced like that, only to eventually serve their purpose as inevitable cannon fodder? Oh, that's right, Johns' version of the Freedom Fighters. A team formed just to simulate a feeling of loss when they became the first victims in Infiinite Crisis #1.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Gee, who else was introduced like that, only to eventually serve their purpose as inevitable cannon fodder? Oh, that's right, Johns' version of the Freedom Fighters. A team formed just to simulate a feeling of loss when they became the first victims in Infiinite Crisis #1.
    That's absolutely wrong. The Johns version of the Freedom Fighters were introduced all the way back in OWAW and we saw them in Princes of Darkness. They were killed off to make way for the Freedom Fighters by Gray and Palmiotti (aka one of Dan's oldest friends) with a pitch written by Morrison. We knew they were doing something all the way back during the intro for Seven Soldiers when Morrison mentioned in an interview that Didio was interested in a Freedom Fighters pitch he had written.

edit: I thnk you need to realize the thinking was that Johns probably did want to make Holly and Dawn work post-Princes of Darkness when he brought back Dawn and featured them in Titans. But then he had an opportunity to bring back Hank/Hawk with Blackest Night and to give the Kessel version of Hawk and Dove that he loved another chance and killed off his own OC for that.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-05-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    What one resurrected DC Character would you choose to have stayed dead? And, since this is comics, after which death in some cases? Also, why?

TIA.
    Oliver Queen. Because his return opened the gates to bringing back Hal Jordan and Barry Allen, and more generally making “death is a revolving door” a thing.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Ollie was barely gone. I wonder if Supes still had the mullet when he came back?
    "Cable was right!"