View Poll Results: Of the non-cosmic Superman Rogues, who would you like to see?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainiac

27 49.09%
  • Lobo

2 3.64%
  • Metallo

9 16.36%
  • Parasite

11 20.00%
  • Bloodsport

0 0%
  • Manchester Black

4 7.27%
  • Livewire

1 1.82%
  • Silver Banshee

1 1.82%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I feel next time will see Lex in live action, he'll use his power armor to differentiate him to past incarnations.

Old villain but new package.
    I still want to see him become President. That’s the kind of thing you could get an entire Chapter out of, Lex fucking with the entire DCU while Clark is working to bring him down, culminating in a loose adaption of Public Enemies. But I’d settle for a Lex who isn’t a Hackman rehash or… whatever Eisenberg was.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Plus it makes Manchester a foil for the Justice League. Clark is looking for companions and he found a better fit in the League than the Elite.
    Not sure about that.Maybe hal(yeah! definitely think these two would get along great)... though he would find people.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-04-2023 at 07:08 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    I'd like to see Parasite and go for the weirdness vibe.
    Definitely, plus it's a way to feature a weakened/more human Superman for a portion of the film without having to resort to The Green Rocks of Death for the millionth time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Brainiac my top pick, but Manchester Black would be a good start-out villain that you could use to firmly contrast a non-edgy Superman against. Really emphasize that this is NOT Snyder's Supes.

Metallo is much more fitting as the flunky of the main antagonist.

Astonishing Member

Exactly. Even an overused villain like Lex has a side still unexplored in live action.
    Oh yeah.

Even corporate mogul Lex hasn't really been done properly on film.

I feel next time will see Lex in live action, he'll use his power armor to differentiate him to past incarnations.

Old villain but new package.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not sure about that.Maybe hal(yeah! definitely think these two would get along great)... though he would find people.
    Clark and Manchester's friendship is destined to fall apart. I'm using it as a way to address his loneliness and desire for a team but he has to draw the line in who he associates with.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-05-2023 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Wrong video

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think if Gunn borrows from Morrison's New 52 run, you get a bit of that, because the whole point of his arc was the transition from the Golden Age 'Champion of the Oppressed' to the sci-fi oriented Silver Age superhero.
    So far it sounds like Gunn is looking at All-Star, with Action not even being mentioned, I don't think? It might be an influence who knows, and if so then yeah we'd get at least a taste of the Golden Age in it. But right now it seems likely Gunn is going for the super chill approach of All-Star, not the activist t-shirt Superman. And if so, that'll probably be alright too. But who knows what we'll get?

I gotta say, knowing what little I know of Gunn and the kind of characters he seems to like, and knowing that he's friends with Morrison, the fact that Action hasn't been brought up is kinda surprising. Is Morrison not a fan of his work there? Would he say to Gunn "this isn't how you do it"? Because I feel like it'd be hard for Gunn to be unaware of Action at this point, and it seems like it'd appeal to him a lot. *Why* hasn't Action been mentioned (yet)?

Unfortunately, the premise of the story hinged on the very Silver Age/Bronze Age idea that Superman fundamentally identified as a Kryptonian and couldn't relate to humanity at all. Which just isn't in line with most modern depictions of the character, or indeed how I see the character.
    I think the best modern versions, and this is my own view as well, they find a balance. Clark doesn't fully identify as either; he's too Kryptonian to feel human, too human to feel Kryptonian. As Yang said, the true character is found in the tension between "Clark" and "Superman." Stuck between dualities. And as Landis latched onto, Clark feeling like an outsider no matter where/who he is, that's something every single person can relate to; we're all together in our imagined Otherness, and that irony is a keystone to the "S" appeal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Clark and Manchester's friendship is destined to fall apart. I'm using it as a way to address his loneliness and desire for a team but he has to draw the line in who he associates with.
    Ahh Jojo fan good. Speaking of that they should do what Jojo did small scale threat like human Dio before getting powers. I think Live Wire or Parasite work as second year villains not too powerful of threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So far it sounds like Gunn is looking at All-Star, with Action not even being mentioned, I don't think? It might be an influence who knows, and if so then yeah we'd get at least a taste of the Golden Age in it. But right now it seems likely Gunn is going for the super chill approach of All-Star, not the activist t-shirt Superman. And if so, that'll probably be alright too. But who knows what we'll get?

I gotta say, knowing what little I know of Gunn and the kind of characters he seems to like, and knowing that he's friends with Morrison, the fact that Action hasn't been brought up is kinda surprising. Is Morrison not a fan of his work there? Would he say to Gunn "this isn't how you do it"? Because I feel like it'd be hard for Gunn to be unaware of Action at this point, and it seems like it'd appeal to him a lot. *Why* hasn't Action been mentioned (yet)?

I think the best modern versions, and this is my own view as well, they find a balance. Clark doesn't fully identify as either; he's too Kryptonian to feel human, too human to feel Kryptonian. As Yang said, the true character is found in the tension between "Clark" and "Superman." Stuck between dualities. And as Landis latched onto, Clark feeling like an outsider no matter where/who he is, that's something every single person can relate to; we're all together in our imagined Otherness, and that irony is a keystone to the "S" appeal.
    He did mention being a fan of Morrison Action (deleted tweet he was replying to asked if he liked Morrison Action).

As for why he hasn’t mentioned it? Well he’s also a huge fan of Up in the Sky! to the point he wa a posting art from it a while back, but he hasn’t mentioned that either. Definitely do not think it’s because both Morrison and King are ashamed or have soured on their work, it’s just Gunn playing his cards very close to his chest. At SDCC he might be ready to give us more info and we’ll see to what extent Legacy is shaped by these other works.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

It's always possible he pitched a Superman take more inspired by Action Comics and the higher-ups said "no", so wouldn't have a reason to advertise it right now alongside the rest of the comics he's using as inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Ahh Jojo fan good. Speaking of that they should do what Jojo did small scale threat like human Dio before getting powers. I think Live Wire or Parasite work as second year villains not too powerful of threats.
    I posted the wrong video but Stardust Crusaders would be a good framework for how to approach Superman villians. You need to give Clark more villians he has to outthink than outpunch.

If Gunn is using Lobo then there will probably be some American Alien in the mix too, but you’ll never see him acknowledge that. Hard to tell what exactly he will be drawing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    It's always possible he pitched a Superman take more inspired by Action Comics and the higher-ups said "no", so wouldn't have a reason to advertise it right now alongside the rest of the comics he's using as inspiration.
    Only person higher than Gunn now is Zaslav, and I doubt Zaslav would care about that kind of detail. He just wants a Superman movie out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Oh yeah.

Even corporate mogul Lex hasn't really been done properly on film.
    Be that as it may we need to move away from Luthor. We need to see other Superman villains guys

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I kinda always though Clark and Jotaro physically look exactly the same.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I was talking about league..i don't think league is very good as a team or superman's relationship with members are that great..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"