Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Kids tend to take away more story aspects from a character than they're able to add. They serve to cement a character to a status quo worse than the sliding timescale does.
    The only story possibility taken away when kids are involved is characters bouncing from one love interest to the next (and even that isn't always the case). There are a finite amount of stories you can tell with a character anyway which is why DC keeps repeating story arcs.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-09-2023 at 10:42 PM.

Is that why they had a young single Clark in New 52? To pair him up with Diana? Seems odd to do such a thing as it would make their books intrinsically linked. It's the reason Nightwing isn't with Starfire nowadays - instead he's with Oracle, and as a result Babs is a regular co-star in Nightwing while Dick is a recurring guest in Batgirls - works fine there (helps that they're both in Bat editorial), wouldn't work so well with Superman and Wonder Woman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If you are obsessed with keeping Clark and friends young like Didio was, then having kids is a no no. Judging from my time as a foster brother and my cousins when they had kids, becoming a parent ages you more than committing to a relationship.

That goes for the sidekicks too as Dick and the others always felt like they had a parent/child relationship with their mentors. So benching them in the new 52 made more sense than separating Clark from Lois and putting the JSA on Earth 2.

Although a reboot could change that...Shame the New 52 wasn't more thought out.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-04-2023 at 12:03 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Several big DC heroes have had children in recent years. Do you like it or not.

Which heroes should never have kids? Which ones need to have kids?
    Generally, it’s a no for me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    My view is that, unless they are vital to a hero's origin (like the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman), kids are usually a mistake.

Some folks love Damian Wayne but I couldn't get behind that assassin-raised but pre-adolescent beater of grown men.

Jon Kent had a lot to offer Lois and Clark as parents on top of their classic roles, but TPTB screwed the three by aging the kid up.

And there are times when the kids are more like parasites leeching off of the recognizeable parent. That's my attitude toward Black Lightning getting saddled with two grown-up daughters so they can have the limelight and their "superhero cred" through him.
    These echo my thoughts as well.

Spectacular Member

The thing about adding kids is that it can turn the focus of the character inwards, which is not what I, at least, read superhero adventures for. On the other hand, kids can open up new avenues and go on adventures of their own. Ultimately, it's just a question of being done well.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Im fine with it as long as everyone around them is allowed to age and they all dont come toddler crime fighters.

Clark/Lois adopting aliens who fight crime is very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Im fine with it as long as everyone around them is allowed to age and they all dont come toddler crime fighters.

And adopting young kids after what they did with their own bio kid is, rather concerning as well.

But if the Jon age up HADN'T happened, I wouldn't mind the adoption.

No unasked for (and unneeded) huge age ups, just let them progress normally.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    How can villains have kids?
    Lots of girls like them bad boys.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

In between I guess, I don't mind them having kids so long as they don't turn into junior superheroes. For instance...

I'm not bothered that Roy Harper or Wally West has kids or a kid, it's only natural and adds to the storyline.

I however don't like it if the kid turns into a superhero with the apparent design of taking over as a legacy hero (Ie Jonathan Kent)

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

I'm all for it. I think the batfamily [adopted and bio] add a lot to Batman and his story.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

No, I really dislike it. In fact, it's part of the reason I'm reading less and less DC.

Also, most of DC's are "Surprise! Sudden side-kick age kid!" Just forced, hack writing.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Kids are fine if there's a natural aging of all of the characters. However, since the Big Two are IP farms and the Trinity prohibits real aging at DC, they kind of cause a logjam that will need to be cleared sometime down the road.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

8^o
    This sentence. Wow. And the fact that it is TRUE! Hilarz!

There have been really great examples of characters having kids in the DCU of the past. Dinah Lance adopting Sin was truly special and Gail in general just kicked all kinds of arse on BOP before a hand was waved and she was suddenly marrying Ollie.

Another awesome and complicated one was Cheshire and Arsenal having Lian. Thst is arguably my favourite.

A fun and bizarre one was Empress having her parents as infants after the Zandia engagement.

Wally and Linda were shaping up to be as iconic as Lois and Clark before SOME PEOPLE popped a squat on EVERYTHING.

Another amazing but deeply disturbing one was Mirage and her wee one.

Donna Troy lost her wee one thanks to the machinations of Dark Angel.

The One Year Later event also introduced a number of well crafted tales involving characters having wee ones like Selina and, I think, Slam.

Titans stars Pantha and Wildebeest(sp) of course. There's no shortage even on villain side with villains like Felix Faust having kids.

For grown up ones Felix's boy Faust and Ollie's boy Connor number among those for whom I am most fond.