Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    I care more about the arakki than I do the krakoans at this point.
    Yeah, the Krakoa thing... it's named after one of the most legendary volcanic explosions in human history. Yes, I said "explosion"... and I meant it. Krakatoa was not a normal eruption, that mountain pretty much exploded and turned into flying debris. If you look at the location today.... there's this island called "Anak Krakatau"..... I may have spelled that right. *looks it up* yeah that translates as "child of Krakatoa". In 1883 the island of Krakatoa exploded so violently that over 2/3 the land mass just left. Then in 1927 a new volcano started to appear where Krakatoa used to be. It grew steadily to a height of over 1,100 feet tall, and then there was a major eruption in dec2018. Hmmm pretty sure there's youtubes of it...
    oh... there's so many youtubes of Anak Krakatau.... This one is nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGcbNn4Vk1w
    Hmmm what does this bode for Krakoa? hard to say... but it's not looking good.

Astonishing Member

The comic book Krakoa has existed with that name for literally fifty years, I think it’s a huge reach to see its name’s similarity to Krakatoa as any kind of indication about the current era.

Especially as in universe the writers of this era have gone to considerable lengths to emphasize that Krakoa and Arakko are just derivations of the conjoined islands’ original name of Okkara.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They are the coolest new character Marvel has done in a long time. I wish they were used outside of the X-line.
    I hope they survive past Fall of X.
    My flag is bacon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Even a great artist would have struggled with presenting nearly a hundred mutant characters out of the blue, who are also supposed to be champions of endless battles, considering that the reader is used to unique powers and designs from the many hero and villain teams of the past. But Noto is in my opinion, not a particular good interior artist. His characters designs, actions and backgrounds all tend to be quite bland.

So it's no suprise his version of the hundred champions would just look like a bunch of extras from a 1950's sword and sandal movie and go down against a named character accordingly.

But since as mentioned White Sword has so far only appeared in that one event, there might still be a chance that next time one of his champions appear they will come with more variation and unique designs and personalities. So the versions from Ten of Swords can simply be written off as "early weirdness" of the character(s).
    Yeah, that's my hope, that the writers and artists were already crafting a ton of new characters for this event, and didn't really have the bandwidth to spend that much creative energy on a bunch of jobbers that were going to appear and get mowed down by Gorgon to puff the X-Men's kill count. (Which was a hilariously bitchy thing for White Sword to do, pretty much putting his finger on the scale and letting the X-peeps beat his rivals from Amenth!)

I'd love to see a later appearance with White Sword bringing some of his 'big guns,' which would include all sorts of mutants with unique physiologies and cool powers, who aren't quite so over-powering that they couldn't have died to a horde of Amenthi demons, or at the hands of War, Death, Pestilence, Annihilation, etc. (I suspect he would not choose to resurrect those who have lost duels to the death, say as part of a challenge to join the Great Ring, as the Amenthi seem like they'd have a low opinion of that sort of thing...)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    The comic book Krakoa has existed with that name for literally fifty years, I think it’s a huge reach to see its name’s similarity to Krakatoa as any kind of indication about the current era.

Especially as in universe the writers of this era have gone to considerable lengths to emphasize that Krakoa and Arakko are just derivations of the conjoined islands’ original name of Okkara.
    Well, I'm guessing the original usage was intentional. Krakoa was originally presented as a place so dangerous even superheroes would be in danger just being there.

The Okkara retcon? enh... longevity questions aside, the point was still "it's super-dangerous". Krakoa/Arrako/Okkara is still stupidly dangerous.

These beauties and more found on Pepe's IG.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Amazing Member

Was it ever explained why the mutants of Arakko are ageless? It seems to be counter to the narrative that the Arakki do not fear death and think immortality is cowardly, albeit that seemed to be developed as a concept moreso when they moved to Mars.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by vbeacon View Post
    Was it ever explained why the mutants of Arakko are ageless? It seems to be counter to the narrative that the Arakki do not fear death and think immortality is cowardly, albeit that seemed to be developed as a concept moreso when they moved to Mars.
    I think the vast majority of Arakki age and die just like anyone else, but the presence of Genesis, an Omega life-manipulator, and White Sword, possibly also an Omega healer, has allowed some of them (like Genesis and her kids, and White Sword and his 100 followers) to not age.

Then again, we really don't know much about the actual details.

A) Isca, Genesis, War, Death, Pestilence, Plague and White Sword (at least) are just straight up immortal / Externals.
    B) White Sword and Genesis use their incredible healing / life-manipulation powers to keep themselves and their respective families / minions ageless and healthy.
    C) *Some* of them aren't the first of their name, and at least some of the Horsemen have gone through a dozen iterations over the centuries (some may be immortal, others may come and go, and White Sword's minions might age and die normally, and he just replaces them with new mutants who die and 'join his service.')

There's also the possibility that time flowed differently in Amenth. Supposedly *thousands* of years have passed since they vanished, and yet they never went past the Bronze age? That seems unlikely, that they never once had a mutant with a merely human level of intelligence able to progress their understanding of the world, let alone a mutant genius, or one with a power like Forge, who could bump up their tech level in a single lifetime. It's entirely possible that they were gone from Earth for thousands of years, but with the time differential, they only experienced centuries in Amenth, which could explain their lack of scientific advancement, and their relatively small population growth, compared to what we've had on Earth. Although that creates the interesting possibility that those left behind in Amenth (like White Sword, AFAIK) will be surprised if anybody returns. "You guys just left?" "We've been gone years!" "Well, it was like, two months ago, our time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think the vast majority of Arakki age and die just like anyone else, but the presence of Genesis, an Omega life-manipulator, and White Sword, possibly also an Omega healer, has allowed some of them (like Genesis and her kids, and White Sword and his 100 followers) to not age.

Then again, we really don't know much about the actual details.

A) Isca, Genesis, War, Death, Pestilence, Plague and White Sword (at least) are just straight up immortal / Externals.
    B) White Sword and Genesis use their incredible healing / life-manipulation powers to keep themselves and their respective families / minions ageless and healthy.
    C) *Some* of them aren't the first of their name, and at least some of the Horsemen have gone through a dozen iterations over the centuries (some may be immortal, others may come and go, and White Sword's minions might age and die normally, and he just replaces them with new mutants who die and 'join his service.')
    Summoner was hundreds of years old, as was his generation’s Idyll. There is an implication that the Arakkii can survive longer than an Earthborn mutant. I really doubt Genesis would use her weapon to extend other mutants’ longevity, doesn’t seem like something she’d do. I believe Bei and Solem are also in the hundreds as far as their age goes.

There's also the possibility that time flowed differently in Amenth. Supposedly *thousands* of years have passed since they vanished, and yet they never went past the Bronze age? That seems unlikely, that they never once had a mutant with a merely human level of intelligence able to progress their understanding of the world, let alone a mutant genius, or one with a power like Forge, who could bump up their tech level in a single lifetime. It's entirely possible that they were gone from Earth for thousands of years, but with the time differential, they only experienced centuries in Amenth, which could explain their lack of scientific advancement, and their relatively small population growth, compared to what we've had on Earth. Although that creates the interesting possibility that those left behind in Amenth (like White Sword, AFAIK) will be surprised if anybody returns. "You guys just left?" "We've been gone years!" "Well, it was like, two months ago, our time..."
    The Arakkii took a different approach to advancing their civilization, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t as advanced as Krakoa. Also seeing as how they originated from a place that nearly skipped the Bronze Age entirely and entered straight into an Iron Age, I’m sure they found a way. They managed to survive and thrive in a hell dimension for thousands of years using engineering, alchemy, and magestry.

Also, we know what happened to their population. Nearly 9/10s of them were lost to Amenth while many of the youth were killed when Amenth built prisons and reeducation camps on the island-continent. But relatively speaking, they still had 20x the number of all Earth mutants/Krakoans by the time they made it back to Earth.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I want to read more about White Sword. He really seemed interesting and had never been used after Swords of X.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I liked the new Arraki used in Storm and the Brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    I hope they survive past Fall of X.
    Me too.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yes.
    Adding Loolo and Ironfire to the list of Arakkii faves.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes.
    Adding Loolo and Ironfire to the list of Arakkii faves.

Can any of you fine folk remind me: What happened to Isca?

I'm at work musing over all things Arakki and I hit a wall when it came to Isca's current whereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Can any of you fine folk remind me: What happened to Isca?

I'm at work musing over all things Arakki and I hit a wall when it came to Isca's current whereabouts.
    The Great Ring confronted her for siding with Uranos during the war and after "winning" a contest against the Fisher King of who truly understands the meaning of loss, she essentially had flashbacks of all the loss she's experienced in life despite always winning. She resigned from the Ring right then and there and walked off, warning them not to follow her.