Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
    Amazing Member

I heard about this run and against my better judgement I read a modern Marvel comic. It was as awful as I had been told. I'm wondering who paid for this for a year and a half. No one in this run is in character. Not Flash, MJ, Peter, Black Cat, Jonah, No one. Don't even get me started on all the villains OOCness, or the need to make them good or redeemed, even Doc Ocks arms make heart shapes at Peter. No one in this run is likable, and the issues are such quick reads as well.

That said reading this thread makes me want to try the Spencer run. I like the whole Peter MJ soulmate thing. My Spider-Man runs are: Amazing Spider-Man vol 1 up till 393, Spider-Man loves Maryjane, Spider-Girl, Ultimate Spider-Man original run, and New Avengers where I pretend Ultimate Peter joined the Ultimates. Would Nick Spencer fit in well with those runs? Is it a positive take on everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    I heard about this run and against my better judgement I read a modern Marvel comic. It was as awful as I had been told. I'm wondering who paid for this for a year and a half. No one in this run is in character. Not Flash, MJ, Peter, Black Cat, Jonah, No one. Don't even get me started on all the villains OOCness, or the need to make them good or redeemed, even Doc Ocks arms make heart shapes at Peter. No one in this run is likable, and the issues are such quick reads as well.

That said reading this thread makes me want to try the Spencer run. I like the whole Peter MJ soulmate thing. My Spider-Man runs are: Amazing Spider-Man vol 1 up till 393, Spider-Man loves Maryjane, Spider-Girl, Ultimate Spider-Man original run, and New Avengers where I pretend Ultimate Peter joined the Ultimates. Would Nick Spencer fit in well with those runs? Is it a positive take on everyone?
    Spencer's run has the problem of modern super-hero story telling where their social lifes pretty much don't exist.

I'd say that he gets the voices of Spidey, MJ and JJ pretty well, everyone else are hit or miss and barely show up, even Randy, who's one of Spidey's roomates, doesn't have much of a presence on the run before he's suddenly revealed to be dating Janice, and even after that he doesn't show up that much too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    I got back into comics with Spencer's run and it was the first time I read Spider-man regularly.
    So...
    His Mary Jane is in my biased view definitive: he writes her as recognisably both the party girl from Lee/Conway/Wein and also the more serious post-DeFalco confidant.
    It is pretty solid up until about issues twenty five or so. After that point there's a bit where it felt to me that Spencer started spinning wheels. (Maybe coincidentally he ships Mary Jane out of the main book for the period, but also there are a couple of crossover events that detract from the momentum.)
    Then we get the whole Sins Past/Last Remains which addresses the mysterious villain, Kindred, who has been haunting the run. I think the consensus is that whether due to editorial interference or not the run does not quite stick the landing. In my opinion there are some good bits in amongst the bits that don't quite pay off or come off as an anticlimax or make a big revelation only to reveal that although the revelation made sense it was a red herring.
    Apart from Mary Jane, the part of the run that works best overall is Boomerang's arc which all comes together in the end (although you have to read the Sinister War miniseries, which is otherwise a plotless mess).
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    https://gamerant.com/spider-man-movies-video-games/

Spider-man has never been unpopular per-se, but from 2008 to 2017 Spider-man really took a backseat to other characters like Batman and the pre-Civil War MCU. Batman, in particular, dominated film with the Nolan franchise and the gaming industry with the Arkham games at roughly the same time. By 2017, Spider-man had two canceled film franchises, multiple films with mixed reception, and multiple games that were considered duds. And the Marvel produced Ultimate cartoon also received generally mixed reviews from critics.

2017/18 - Present is the first time, in a long time, that the Spider-man franchise has been firing on all cylinders both critically and commercially. His inclusion in the MCU has been nothing short of a success with No Way Home being the highest grossing film of 2021 and the highest grossing Spider-Man film by far. His PlayStation games have taken the gaming industry by storm with a highly anticipated sequel coming soon. And his first animated film won an oscar. He is dominating the superhero genre on multiple fronts right now (gaming, live action, animation) in a way that hadn't been seen since the days of the Raimi Trilogy. Which is why some in the fandom have been referring to this period unofficially as a Spider-man Renaissance.

(Unfortunately, the Wells run has been dropping the ball by comparison IMO)
    Spider-Man was outperforming Batman in licensing even back in 2013: https://www.gamingbible.com/news/pla...-ever-20210911

Spider-Man's introduction to the MCU was certainly a boon for the character, and could be described as a start of a new era for the character in mass media and pop culture. But Captain America: Civil War was released in 2016 and Spider-Man: Homecoming was released in 2017. Homecoming was more commercially successful and significantly more critically successful than the Amazing Spider-Man films that preceded it.

The last few months of 2018 saw two great and successful pieces of Spider-Man media, but pinpointing it as the start of the Spider-Man series' reversal of fortunes completely ignores the big success of Homecoming in 2017 and the introduction of Tom Holland as the new live action Spider-Man in 2016.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Spider-Man was outperforming Batman in licensing even back in 2013: https://www.gamingbible.com/news/pla...-ever-20210911
    The Spider-Man Renaissance refers to a critical mass of media adaptations that broke through and captured the zeitgeist, not how many rolls of wrapping paper or novelty boxers he appears on.

You said Kaitou D Kid made up the term; they did not.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 02-11-2023 at 06:18 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Spider-Man's introduction to the MCU was certainly a boon for the character, and could be described as a start of a new era for the character in mass media and pop culture. But Captain America: Civil War was released in 2016 and Spider-Man: Homecoming was released in 2017. Homecoming was more commercially successful and significantly more critically successful than the Amazing Spider-Man films that preceded it.

The last few months of 2018 saw two great and successful pieces of Spider-Man media, but pinpointing it as the start of the Spider-Man series' reversal of fortunes completely ignores the big success of Homecoming in 2017 and the introduction of Tom Holland as the new live action Spider-Man in 2016.
    I said 2017/18. 2017 was the release of his first MCU solo outing. However, 2018 was really when the Spider-Man brand began having critical and commercial successes in multiple forms of media with animation and gaming in addition to the MCU ventures. Regardless it's not a concrete term with a precise demarcation. It's a term that's been used by the fandom to describe the general period in time that encompasses these successes. So arguing whether it's 16, 17, or 18 is just getting pedantic and again shifts the goalposts from the initial argument that the whole idea is made up.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    The Spider-Man Renaissance refers to a critical mass of media adaptations that broke through and captured the zeitgeist, not how many rolls of wrapping paper or novelty boxers he appears on.
    Exactly
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 02-11-2023 at 08:13 AM.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the responses Lukmendes and Daibhidh. I think I will check out the Spencer run.

Astonishing Member

Because we need your early reports LOL.

For which I am very thankful.
    So I guess when I spend my 3 bucks on Amazing every time(i get a discount). I'm taking one for the team here? lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    So I guess when I spend my 3 bucks on Amazing every time(i get a discount). I'm taking one for the team here? lol.
    You could always set up a ko-fi or some other account so we can tip you LOL

You could always set up a ko-fi or some other account so we can tip you LOL
    Should we really support the unhealthy habit that is reading Wells' ASM though?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Should we really support the unhealthy habit that is reading Wells' ASM though?
    No, we shouldn't, it rots the soul and turns its readers into ghouls!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    No, we shouldn't, it rots the soul and turns its readers into ghouls!
    I agree wholeheartedly in principle, but I appreciate the service Rzerox21xx provides so I’m happy to help them out LOL

Did Dodson's art appear a bit more rushed/less polished than usual to anyone else? Not really the close ups but the backgrounds looked weird.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Did Dodson's art appear a bit more rushed/less polished than usual to anyone else? Not really the close ups but the backgrounds looked weird.
    Not really, dude. And I've seen Dodson on a deadline! I've read AXIS!

images (2).jpg