Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    But "dirty" just feels silly for a death match.

Off-topic but for some reason I couldn't help but think of her power when I read that.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Off-topic but for some reason I couldn't help but think of her power when I read that.
    Renji certainly found her power to be silly.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I can do a quick rundown of the basics.

Let's start with Kuno. Kuno is a guy who swings around a bokken such that he stabs like...a dozen times a second, the air pressure from each stab (not swing) generating long distance impacts that crack stone. He does this on speed alone. He's waaaay faster than humanly possible.

Let's jump to Ryouga. Ryouga casually, effortlessly blitzes Kuno and two other high-end martial artists - both of whom can beat up Kuno himself - simultaneously. Ryouga gets hooked up to a rope and swung toward a boulder that is ALSO on a rope, swinging toward him. They meet at the bottoms of their swings, so at their highest speeds. Ryouga - in the instant before the boulder hits him/he hits the boulder/they crash together, really - stabs his finger over fifty times into the boulder, deep enough to put a hole in the granite. It is then revealed that he perfectly punched out Akane's name with those holes he put in the boulder.

Ranma - in his first big speed arc - fights Ryouga. Using the speed he has learned from his special training, he hits the insanely, super-tough Ryouga with what appears to be a single punch. It sounds a little odd, but that's all. This actually HURTS Ryouga, which shocks everyone. Ranma does it again. It hurts Ryouga again.

FINALLY the superfast Ryouga catches on - Ranma is hitting him ~400-500 times in the exact same place with what looks - and feels - to him like a single punch. Roughly. Feels a little weird, has a weird sound, but that's all. And it takes him getting hit two, three times with it to catch on that he is being hit literally a multitude of hundreds of times with every punch, not once.

That's not a normal person not catching on immediately. That's Ryouga, to whom normal people would be moving in extreeeeme...sloooow...motion.

Ranma only gets faster from here, doing stuff like 'throwing all of the heaps of food in front of himself into the mouth of the guy across the table and into the audience watching their food-eating fight so fast that nobody - none of the superfast martial artists watching - grasp that he's actually feeding everyone in the room, basically, while pretending he's the one eating it'. He does this when exhausted and half-starved.
    Yeah, Ranma's speed feats are definitely more ridiculous. Endgame Tanjiro with perfected Sun Breathing and unifying all his Techniques is really, really fast but I don't think he's on the level of the goofy speedfeats that Ranma has to his name. Sharp didn't even bring up Ranma's feat of "I have stolen of the floor supports of the entire bottom floor of this building so quickly that no one noticed me doing it until the floor collapsed under them,"

Just silly stuff.

Only thing is that Ranma is sometimes a lot less consistent. It's more a comedy manga than a serious fight manga so Ranma sometimes gets hit when he really shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Yeah, Ranma's speed feats are definitely more ridiculous. Endgame Tanjiro with perfected Sun Breathing and unifying all his Techniques is really, really fast but I don't think he's on the level of the goofy speedfeats that Ranma has to his name. Sharp didn't even bring up Ranma's feat of "I have stolen of the floor supports of the entire bottom floor of this building so quickly that no one noticed me doing it until the floor collapsed under them,"

Just silly stuff.

Only thing is that Ranma is sometimes a lot less consistent. It's more a comedy manga than a serious fight manga so Ranma sometimes gets hit when he really shouldn't.
    Just because they have Martial Arts Tea Ceremony...

I think we’re all really downplaying how dirty Ranma can fight. Anything Goes Martial Arts has a plethora of dirty techniques that Ranma and Genma mastered during their travels.

Also keep in mind that one of the things that ruin a breathing in Demon Slayer is losing your cool. Ranma is more than capable of trash talking to the point where Tanjiro loses his concentration so that he can’t perform his breathing techniques.

Remember, Ranma in the beginning of the series trash talked Akane SO HARD that she was able to regain her memory after using the Colognes memory wiping shampoo. He can just as easily talk smack about Nezuko.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Like, trash talking that actually makes people lose their cool is one thing. That's something that should be open to discussion.

But can we avoid the 'fighting dirty' trope? This is a deathmatch, bloodlust on. There are no rules for people to follow, they're not going to thinking 'okay, everyone is going to play fair here'. ^_^

Tanjiro, himself, has fought all kinds of demons and creatures that wanted to kill him, as I understand things. He's probably seen his share of sneaky stuff and things that would get people disqualified from sporting events with rules of conduct. A weird technique might take him off guard, but someone trying to pull a fast one on him or the like is likely going to be ignored.

These two are trying to kill each other. Unless one of them has some CIS happening where they always try to fight in a noble fashion or follows some kind of weird code of rules, any care for that kind of thing goes right out the window.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Like, trash talking that actually makes people lose their cool is one thing. That's something that should be open to discussion.

But can we avoid the 'fighting dirty' trope? This is a deathmatch, bloodlust on. There are no rules for people to follow, they're not going to thinking 'okay, everyone is going to play fair here'. ^_^

Tanjiro, himself, has fought all kinds of demons and creatures that wanted to kill him, as I understand things. He's probably seen his share of sneaky stuff and things that would get people disqualified from sporting events with rules of conduct. A weird technique might take him off guard, but someone trying to pull a fast one on him or the like is likely going to be ignored.

These two are trying to kill each other. Unless one of them has some CIS happening where they always try to fight in a noble fashion or follows some kind of weird code of rules, any care for that kind of thing goes right out the window.
    ...A good part of Ranma is nothing but weird techniques.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    ...A good part of Ranma is nothing but weird techniques.
    Oh, absolutely. I'm cool with 'Ranma is basically a swiss-army-knife of techniques that could actually sit down and have a serious comparison with Ancestor for that'.

It's the fighting dirty part that doesn't work for me. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-08-2023 at 12:34 PM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Let's start with Kuno. Kuno is a guy who swings around a bokken such that he stabs like...a dozen times a second
    I'd say anything where they're doing a large number of strikes appearing all at once is probably more like dozens every tenth of a second.

Anyway, I really feel like the bar-setting feat from the Amaguriken arc is Ranma catching 100% of the Ranma-directed shrapnel from Ryoga's explosions at less than one metre range with individual catches for each piece.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

The key thing about Ranma is that he is a Martial Arts Prodigy. You know the stories of people who can teach themselves to play Mozart simply by listening to it? Ranma is like that with Martial Arts. Even if he can't reproduce a technique he sees, he can either modify it to suit his natural abilities or he can come up with an effective counter to it. As long as he is suitably motivated by need, pride, emotion, or ego he will find a way.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.