Amazing Member

Default Which FF 1961 annuals are reprints?

Thanks a lot

Pat

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Englehart Humperdinck View Post
    Thanks but i have been there. I would need 6 weeks to figure it out there. You can click on each issue and it says “Reprint” and then you got to figured it out through a list of 75 reprints from New-Zealand to Togo.
    27 issues=Too long.
    Unless if its right in my face and i missed it.
    I was more looking for a quick list saying so.
    But i appreciate the help

Pat

That doesn't directly answer the question, but looking at the covers...

Annual 1 reprints Fantastic Four #1 (the FF's origin).
    Annual 2 is all new.
    Annual 3 reprints Fantastic Four #6 and #11.
    Annual 4 reprints the Human Torch story from Marvel Comics #1 (Jim Hammond's origin), and Fantastic Four #25-26 (Thing vs Hulk).
    Annual 5 boasts of having no reprints, so is also all new, as I assume are 6-9.
    Annual 10 reprints the new stories from annuals 3 and 4 (the wedding and Jim's return).
    Annuals 11-16 say All-New on their covers, and I don't think there's any reprints after that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Annual 2 is all new.
    Annual 4 reprints the Human Torch story from Marvel Comics #1 (Jim Hammond's origin), and Fantastic Four #25-26 (Thing vs Hulk).
    Annual 10 reprints the new stories from annuals 3 and 4 (the wedding and Jim's return).
    Annuals 11-16 say All-New on their covers, and I don't think there's any reprints after that.
    Thanks a million, its the info I needed.

Pat 👍🏻

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Annual 2 is all new.
    Some corrections.....

While it is true that Annual #1 reprints the "most requested saga ever printed" with FF's origin, the cover story featuring Sub-Mariner is an original and not a reprint. It's 37 pages long! Plus there are numerous "pin up" pages of Doom, Sub-Mariner, Mole Man, Skrulls, Miracle Man, Puppet Master, etc. Plus there is a layout page showing the interior of the Baxter Building.

Annual #3, the main story is new....Reed and Sue's Wedding. Unless I am mistaken about his request, I don't think the OP wants to exclude those annuals with new content that is "padded" a bit on the back end with bonus feature reprints.

Annual #4 - The cover story is also new since this is the first appearance of a little used Quasimodo, a creation of the Mad Thinker. The back up story is the issue with the battle between the Thing and the Hulk.

Annual # 7 is all reprints, with the origin of Doctor Doom and the lead story from FF annual #2

I used Marvel Unlimited as much as I could to verify the new stories. I assume the ones that had no content available there in those early issues were the all reprint issues
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-05-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Some corrections.....

While it is true that Annual #1 reprints the "most requested saga ever printed" with FF's origin, the cover story featuring Sub-Mariner is an original and not a reprint. It's 37 pages long! Plus there are numerous "pin up" pages of Doom, Sub-Mariner, Mole Man, Skrulls, Miracle Man, Puppet Master, etc. Plus there is a layout page showing the interior of the Baxter Building.

Annual #3, the main story is new....Reed and Sue's Wedding. Unless I am mistaken about his request, I don't think the OP wants to exclude those annuals with new content that is "padded" a bit on the back end with bonus feature reprints.

Annual #4 - The cover story is also new since this is the first appearance of a little used Quasimodo, a creation of the Mad Thinker. The back up story is the issue with the battle between the Thing and the Hulk.

Annual # 7 is all reprints, with the origin of Doctor Doom and the lead story from FF annual #2

I used Marvel Unlimited as much as I could to verify the new stories. I assume the ones that had no content available there in those early issues were the all reprint issues
    Thank-you for the corrections. Thanks to both of you!

Pat

I never said those issues contained ONLY the reprints - I even noted that annual 10 reprints stories that were new in annuals 3 and 4.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Don't forget about FF Annuals #8 and #9.

1970's FF Annual #8 included a reprint of the lead story from FF Annual #1, the Sub-Mariner vs. FF story. Also included were the pin-ups and Baxter Building page from FF Annual Annual #1.

1971's FF Annual #9 included reprints from FF #43 and also FF Annual #3, the Sue and Reed wedding story. Note, for these reprints a few pages were removed (this was customary for Marvel reprints at the time, whether in Annuals or Marvel's Greatest Comics, Marvel Tales, etc.)

And yes, as noted in an earlier post, the very next FF Annual, #10, also reprinted that very same Sue and Reed wedding story from Annual #3! (along with the Torch story from Ann. 4, also noted earlier). Annual #10 was published in 1973, a couple of years after Annual #9.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 02-11-2023 at 12:56 AM.

8 and 9's covers didn't advertise the reprint material on the covers. Which is a bit dishonest. No wonder later covers said All-New on them. They were probably worried readers would assume they contained more reprints otherwise after previously getting stung (nobody likes buying duplicate content).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-12-2023 at 06:01 AM.