Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Default So...is Captain Universe just a Spider-Man Family character at this point?

I know this seems like a weird question but I didn't know exactly where to ask it, hence why I just started up a new thread here. I was going through my Spider-Verse/King in Black trades and it got me thinking...is Captain Universe just now considered part of the Spider-Man Family/Mythos of Marvel Characters? I mean we've had two Spider-Men (Peter and Miles), one of Peter's teachers from ESU, Eddie Brock, that psycho that tried to kill the Juggernaut and even Aunt May all become Captain Universe at one point and to top it all off King in Black performed a major retcon to the origin of the Enigma Force, essentially making Captain Universe a type of symbiote like but at the same time not like Venom. Symbiote Spider-Man also had Peter squaring off against an early Captain Universe foe in the form of Mister E, who has also been retconned into a sort of proto-symbiote. What do you guys think? Has Marvel essentially sandwiched another superhero into their Spider-Man Family of Marvel characters? Because...it's kind of starting to feel like it. Not that I mind but...it's a little weird right?
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-04-2023 at 09:44 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

well, when I think of... notable characters who used to be Captain Universe.....

Oh right... years ago I did a fan-fic project.....
    https://maafanficuniverse.fandom.com...ptain_Universe
    Not finished, more an outline for an idea really. But the list I collected has: Bruce Banner, Cain Marko, Laura Kinney, Matt Murdock, Miguel O'Hara, Peter Parker, Susan Storm, and Wade Wilson. Now several of these were only briefly exposed to the Uni-power, but... it's an interesting variety.

That's another thing, almost all of the superheroes chosen by The Enigma Force have ties to Spider-Man. Some of them being close ties, it can't just be coincidence, can it? It's almost like Marvel has been repositioning the character from the Micronauts (especially now that the license has expired) and towards Spider-Man for some time now.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-04-2023 at 11:45 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Everybody is connected to Spider-man! Every roads lead to... Spider-man!

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Everybody is connected to Spider-man! Every roads lead to... Spider-man!
    This is true. "Connected to Spider-Man"..... you could play six degrees of separation Marvel comics edition, but the goal being to find a character who has 6 or more degrees of separation from Spider-Man. Sounds challenging....

It used to be a thing that when a character got a new series, they'd have a Spider-man guest appearance within the first few issues.

You're not anyone in Marvel until you've met Spider-man, Wolverine, and fought Dr. Doom.

Maybe Peter will use the captain universe powers to defeat Mephisto that would be the only way I can accept Mephisto defeat from Peter
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

There was a leak of which characters Sony had the movie rights to several years ago. Captain Universe wasn't in the list, therefore Captain Universe isn't considered part of the Spider-Man family of characters.

The Captain Universe version of Spider-Man is maybe more of a grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    This is true. "Connected to Spider-Man"..... you could play six degrees of separation Marvel comics edition, but the goal being to find a character who has 6 or more degrees of separation from Spider-Man. Sounds challenging....
    The Baron was the master of Marquis Radu. Marquis Radu is an enemy of Arcturus Rann. Arcturus Rann is married to Marionette. Marionette is a friend of The Redeemer. The Redeemer once met Kaine. Kaine is a clone of Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    There was a leak of which characters Sony had the movie rights to several years ago. Captain Universe wasn't in the list, therefore Captain Universe isn't considered part of the Spider-Man family of characters.

The Captain Universe version of Spider-Man is maybe more of a grey area.
    Interesting. I wonder if that means Hasbro has the rights to Captain Universe in the same way they have the rights to Bug, Arcturus Rann and Marionette of the Micronauts? Hmm...
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-05-2023 at 06:52 AM.

Gotta be honest, it's not something I've thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gotta be honest, it's not something I've thought about.
    Yeah, I know, I just get to thinking about stuff sometimes and...something crazy like this is usually the result.

Astonishing Member

Nope, it’s just that Captain Universe Peter is your favorite character iteration. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Nope, it’s just that Captain Universe Peter is your favorite character iteration. Nothing more.
    LOL! I won't deny it. I do think Peter as Captain Universe is pretty cool.

So time to play six degrees of Spider-Man..... with Enigma force wielders.
    Bruce Banner: Spider-man was also an Avenger.(1)
    Cain Marko: has fought Wolverine often, Pete hangs out with Wolvie and X-Men.(2)
    Laura Kinney: clone of Wolverine, etc... (2)
    Matt Murdock: Avenger(1)
    Miguel O'Hara: non-Pete Spiderman(1)
    Peter Parker: Spider-Man(0)
    Susan Storm: Spider-man used to be a member of the F4 (1)
    Wade Wilson: Spider-man Deadpool book(1)

Best i got was a 2.

Pretty much.

The merchandising was mainly Spider-Man related.

There are some nuances here.
    The character was introduced in Micronauts, and Marvel no longer has the rights to that.

Other early appearances were a three issue arc of Marvel Spotlight by Bill Mantlo and Steve Ditko, a Hulk annual by Mantlo and a Marvel Fanfare story. Around the time of the Cosmic Adventures storyline (where Peter only had the costume for the last issue) there were a few Captain Universe stories in Web of Spider-Man annuals.

A new Captain Universe was introduced in Hickman's Avengers run, so there are now major appearances outside the standard Spider-Man comics. Since then, it's popped up again with Miles Morales and Venom.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets