Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Pretty much.

The merchandising was mainly Spider-Man related.

There are some nuances here.
    The character was introduced in Micronauts, and Marvel no longer has the rights to that.

Other early appearances were a three issue arc of Marvel Spotlight by Bill Mantlo and Steve Ditko, a Hulk annual by Mantlo and a Marvel Fanfare story. Around the time of the Cosmic Adventures storyline (where Peter only had the costume for the last issue) there were a few Captain Universe stories in Web of Spider-Man annuals.

A new Captain Universe was introduced in Hickman's Avengers run, so there are now major appearances outside the standard Spider-Man comics. Since then, it's popped up again with Miles Morales and Venom.
    It must have been a marketing decision by the looks of it. In order to sell Captain Universe they needed to attach the character to a way more popular one...hence the Spider-Man franchise connection.

Captain Universe even got a spot as one of Spidey's friends in ASM #350:

Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-05-2023 at 04:06 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Marvel didn't have many alternatives.

He had popped up in one Hulk story, but he wasn't that connected to the Hulk. With Spider-Man in 3-4 monthly titles in consistent need of content, it makes sense in Spidey. The Cosmic Adventures saga was also well-received, and led to all sorts of trading cards and action figures.

The character wasn't popular enough for a separate line (and any spinoff would be more successful with a Spider-Man tie-in) and Marvel couldn't exactly want to tie him more to the Micronauts.

I wonder a little bit about how the rights issues with Conan, Rom and the Micronauts affected the perception of bronze age Marvel. Do some fans think it was worse because some critically acclaimed and significant stories (including a heroic turn for Rogue) are rarely referenced or reprinted?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel didn't have many alternatives.

He had popped up in one Hulk story, but he wasn't that connected to the Hulk. With Spider-Man in 3-4 monthly titles in consistent need of content, it makes sense in Spidey. The Cosmic Adventures saga was also well-received, and led to all sorts of trading cards and action figures.

The character wasn't popular enough for a separate line (and any spinoff would be more successful with a Spider-Man tie-in) and Marvel couldn't exactly want to tie him more to the Micronauts.

I wonder a little bit about how the rights issues with Conan, Rom and the Micronauts affected the perception of bronze age Marvel. Do some fans think it was worse because some critically acclaimed and significant stories (including a heroic turn for Rogue) are rarely referenced or reprinted?
    I have wondered about this as well. I imagine it might be worse for some seeing as how we simply do not have the same kind of access that we do to those stories that we do with say Kraven's Last Hunt by JMD.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-05-2023 at 04:58 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    LOL! I won't deny it. I do think Peter as Captain Universe is pretty cool.
    Well, that is quite all right, lol. We all have our favorites! Yours is such a great one, PP/SM as CU. Very heroic indeed.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, that is quite all right, lol. We all have our favorites! Yours is such a great one, PP/SM as CU. Very heroic indeed.
    Cosmic Spider-Man is like the best of both worlds when it comes to Captain Universes. I don't have to choose between Spider-Man or Captain Universe as my favorite hero, because I can have both!

Cosmic Spider-Man is like the best of both worlds when it comes to Captain Universes. I don't have to choose between Spider-Man or Captain Universe as my favorite hero, because I can have both!
    Yes, you have the best of two worlds!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I think its just that Peter becoming Captain Universe is just one of those famous story arcs people like to bring up for fun, not famous like Death of Stacy or infamous like OMD. It's just Captain Universe most famous thing might be being associated with Spider-Man due it being a cool thing to put in video games, or fans telling other fans "hey remember when spider-man got godlike powers?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I think its just that Peter becoming Captain Universe is just one of those famous story arcs people like to bring up for fun, not famous like Death of Stacy or infamous like OMD. It's just Captain Universe most famous thing might be being associated with Spider-Man due it being a cool thing to put in video games, or fans telling other fans "hey remember when spider-man got godlike powers?"
    That's true. I never thought about it like that. Speaking of the games, I am hoping Spider-Man 2 from Insomniac finally gets the Captain Universe costume this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    There was a leak of which characters Sony had the movie rights to several years ago. Captain Universe wasn't in the list, therefore Captain Universe isn't considered part of the Spider-Man family of characters.
    Wasn't Spider-Queen not included among the characters too? 'Cause I remember hearing about this, and it makes no sense for it to be the case, she for the most part only really showed up in Spidey comics, and the exceptions are connected with him (She shows up in Herc and Venom vol 2, and those were Spider-Island tie-ins).

The Captain Universe version of Spider-Man is maybe more of a grey area.
    I wonder if he has the same problems Spidey-UK had, because he's not only a Spidey character, so his resurrection is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    So time to play six degrees of Spider-Man..... with Enigma force wielders.
    Bruce Banner: Spider-man was also an Avenger.(1)
    Cain Marko: has fought Wolverine often, Pete hangs out with Wolvie and X-Men.(2)
    Laura Kinney: clone of Wolverine, etc... (2)
    Matt Murdock: Avenger(1)
    Miguel O'Hara: non-Pete Spiderman(1)
    Peter Parker: Spider-Man(0)
    Susan Storm: Spider-man used to be a member of the F4 (1)
    Wade Wilson: Spider-man Deadpool book(1)

Best i got was a 2.
    You can always list a Captain Universe who wasn't an established Marvel character, like say, the first one, Ray Coffin, who has no connection with Spidey besides being from Earth lol.

Had forgotten Sue was Captain Universe, that sounds busted when stacked with her usual powers lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    It also helps that PSX Spidey had that as a costume with Spidey being immortal with it.

Makes me wonder if Spidey-Phoenix from Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro also had immortality... But then again, that game allowed you to switch powers to other costumes, and I'm not even sure if any costume had any powers by default (Though they probably did).

That's true. I never thought about it like that. Speaking of the games, I am hoping Spider-Man 2 from Insomniac finally gets the Captain Universe costume this time.
    Honestly, the Fear Itself costume could have its powers used on a Cap U costume, quadruple damage is no joke.

Though that's just in case they don't feel like doing anything else and just make its power hit like a truck, which, would be boring if they did that, they should either give Spidey one of the Superman-like powers he got, or whatever cosmic powers related to Cap U, though obviously not as busted in either case lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    You can always list a Captain Universe who wasn't an established Marvel character, like say, the first one, Ray Coffin, who has no connection with Spidey besides being from Earth lol.
    well, THAT list was specific to this: https://maafanficuniverse.fandom.com...ptain_Universe It's a fan project based on characters who had the power and were also in the Avengers Alliance game. so yeah, there's a LOT I didn't list.... because they weren't in the game.
    Had forgotten Sue was Captain Universe, that sounds busted when stacked with her usual powers lol.
    Gladiator seemed to feel that way too. Sue handed him a BRUTAL beat down. Yeah, not a lot of times Sue does hand-to-hand, but DANg..... And yeah, she totally stealth sucker-punches him at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    well, THAT list was specific to this: https://maafanficuniverse.fandom.com...ptain_Universe It's a fan project based on characters who had the power and were also in the Avengers Alliance game. so yeah, there's a LOT I didn't list.... because they weren't in the game.
    Huh, alright.

Gladiator seemed to feel that way too. Sue handed him a BRUTAL beat down. Yeah, not a lot of times Sue does hand-to-hand, but DANg..... And yeah, she totally stealth sucker-punches him at least once.
    As much as it makes sense for a Cap U powered Sue to beat Gladiator, I'll still point out that beating him is nothing special .

Makes me wonder if Spidey-Phoenix from Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro also had immortality... But then again, that game allowed you to switch powers to other costumes, and I'm not even sure if any costume had any powers by default (Though they probably did).
    They did. The Spider-Phoenix suit made you invulnerable, enhanced your strength, and let you webswing farther.

Though that's just in case they don't feel like doing anything else and just make its power hit like a truck, which, would be boring if they did that, they should either give Spidey one of the Superman-like powers he got, or whatever cosmic powers related to Cap U, though obviously not as busted in either case lol.
    I think the most fun aspect of the Captain Universe powers would probably have the power to turn your webbing into giant hands and other things. Either that or give us the ability to fly! That way we can go head to head with flying enemies on a more even playing field! Stupid Sable guys...

Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-09-2023 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    They did. The Spider-Phoenix suit made you invulnerable, enhanced your strength, and let you webswing farther.
    Ah, I imagined that was the case 'cause I got the feeling I used to pick the symbiote costume for infinite webs, thanks for confirming.

I think the most fun aspect of the Captain Universe powers would probably have the power to turn your webbing into giant hands and other things. Either that or give us the ability to fly! That way we can go head to head with flying enemies on a more even playing field! Stupid Sable guys...

I don't see a game on the tyle of PS4 Spidey creating an entire new mechanic just for a costume, much less something like flight lol.

Though yeah, the ways he could use the webs could be pretty fun.

As much as it makes sense for a Cap U powered Sue to beat Gladiator, I'll still point out that beating him is nothing special .
    That's the Worf Effect at work I think.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../TheWorfEffect
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi