Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Great shows that get canceled.

I was thinking about this lately. We have more access to more shows from more places than ever before. No doubt. But it seems to me, we live in an age where really good shows get canceled on these streaming networks for no apparent reasons no matter how popular they are. When I was a kid, you watched shows on Network tv and if it stunk and no one watched it well it was gone. Granted im sure there were a few good shows where that happened to as well. But now how do you get involved in a tv show? You dont really know what's going to happen with it no matter how good or popular it is. This has to frustrate people. And I have seen alot of talk online about it.

I guess my question is, shows you loved that got the axe before their time.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 02-05-2023 at 11:15 PM.

Definitely, my choice would be...

The Spectacular Spider-Man

A little space adventure gem that was on Fox. No not Firefly while awesome it at least got a movie to have closure I'm talking about Space Above and Beyond from 1995.

Duncanville and Bless the Harts on Fox from a couple of years ago.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Nevers

BANNED

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Get A Life
    Strangers With Candy
    Rome
    Brimstone (1998)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Pushing Daisies.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Most recently, Paper Girls.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I was thinking about this lately. We have more access to more shows from more places than ever before. No doubt. But it seems to me, we live in an age where really good shows get canceled on these streaming networks for no apparent reasons no matter how popular they are. When I was a kid, you watched shows on Network tv and if it stunk and no one watched it well it was gone. Granted im sure there were a few good shows where that happened to as well. But now how do you get involved in a tv show? You dont really know what's going to happen with it no matter how good or popular it is. This has to frustrate people. And I have seen alot of talk online about it.

I guess my question is, shows you loved that got the axe before their time.
    This is not a new phenomenon. Shows that people liked got cancelled before the internet was big. There used to be write in campaigns to try and save shows that were on the chopping block.

The only difference now is that with so many shows on so many different platforms it’s hard to grab the attention of viewers because that attention is so divided. However shows still get cancelled for the same reason they always have. Money. Even if a show seems popular it may be too expensive to make versus how much money it’s making.

Almost Human was a great sci fi show on Fox starring Karl Urban. It did fine in the ratings but it was obvious that a lot of money was being spent to make it so I wasn’t surprised it didn’t get a second season.
    Last edited by HollowSage; 02-06-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Lodge 49
    The Society
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Most recently, Paper Girls.
    This as well at Amazon Primes The Tick.
    They also dragged their feet on Carnival Row. That should be on S4 but is now ending on S2(debuting soon).

I would've liked more from Warrior Nun on Netflix. Only 2 seasons.

While I feel 3 seasons was a decent run I also wish Netflix had given us more Lost in Space.

Going back though:
    Airwolf
    Streethawk
    Flash (90s)
    Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (ended at s2)
    Adventures of Brisco County Jr
    Jack of All Trades
    Roswell (90s, yeah it went 3 seasons but you can tell the last batch of episodes they tried hard to cram the story in, should've given them a s4 at least).
    Things my Dad Says (William Shatner)....lost out on renewal to Mike&Molly by a few Nielson points according to articles at the time.
    Firefly
    Dollouse
    New Amsterdam(2008), not the show of the same name from a few years back.
    The Lone Gunman (X-Files spinoff) was poised to be something good as it took all 13 episodes to fully set up these quirky characters for something more meaningful but alas.
    Almost Human (Karl Urban)
    Bionic Woman (2007)
    Silver Surfer cartoon from FOX
    Beast Wars should've had a legit S4 and not been abandoned for the Beast Machines re-invention. sigh.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This as well at Amazon Primes The Tick.
    They also dragged their feet on Carnival Row. That should be on S4 but is now ending on S2(debuting soon).

I would've liked more from Warrior Nun on Netflix. Only 2 seasons.

While I feel 3 seasons was a decent run I also wish Netflix had given us more Lost in Space.

Going back though:
    Airwolf
    Streethawk
    Flash (90s)
    Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (ended at s2)
    Adventures of Brisco County Jr
    Jack of All Trades
    Roswell (90s, yeah it went 3 seasons but you can tell the last batch of episodes they tried hard to cram the story in, should've given them a s4 at least).
    Things my Dad Says (William Shatner)....lost out on renewal to Mike&Molly by a few Nielson points according to articles at the time.
    Firefly
    Dollouse
    New Amsterdam(2008), not the show of the same name from a few years back.
    The Lone Gunman (X-Files spinoff) was poised to be something good as it took all 13 episodes to fully set up these quirky characters for something more meaningful but alas.
    Almost Human (Karl Urban)
    Bionic Woman (2007)
    Silver Surfer cartoon from FOX
    Beast Wars should've had a legit S4 and not been abandoned for the Beast Machines re-invention. sigh.
    Good list I agree with all except one Airwolf once they lost String, Dom, and Archangel it was done honestly, I could have done without the 4th season.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Dark Skies, which was basically X-Files does all of history from 1960. Only one season, Jeri Ryan was in it.

Now and Again, which had John Goodman dying in an accident, only for his brain to be placed in the body of an artificial human super-soldier (played by Eric Close) and forced to work for government genius Dennis Haysbert.