Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Luke Cage Appreciation 2023

Show your love for Luke Cage, the best Power Man to ever do it!

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-canceled-...wing-backlash/

looks like here's the official reason for the "City of Fire" cancellation...

Maybe it will be released digitally someday.

I loved the Netflix show.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

The same copy had no thought given to the borderline racist Miles Morales What If Thor story that was released?? They never considered that black people would be made and protest the released...(they did!) Marvel had to issue apologies. Either release it all and measure the reaction or don't release anything that might be iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

That's dissapointing.

For me it's very obvious, Marvel was preparing a new status for the character after Devil's Reign and it didn't make sense to launch a mini that would only bring controversy to the character and would probably sell very poorly.

Marvel has no clue what to do with him. This mayor thing is trash.

According to the writer, his miniseries drew inspiration from police brutality and George Floyd, a Black man murdered by a white police officer in May 2020, with the title's premise being "what would happen if the mother of George Floyd hired Luke Cage to protect Derek Chauvin, her son's murderer?" Anderson shared his own assumptions for why else Marvel axed City of Fire, guessing higher executives might have said, "No, this is going to affect our bottom line." He added that the book would have come out after Kyle Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges raised against him for killing two people and wounding a third with an AR-15-like rifle, which happened in Aug. 2020 during the protests that followed George Floyd's death.
    https://www.cbr.com/indie-spotlight-...son-interview/

Now, this is just a shorthand description of the premise and doesn't paint a full picture of how the story would play out. But I don't think it would be the extreme right-wingers that would be upset about a story idea like this.

Why make Cage the mayor if you're not going to give him a book???
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    That's how I know they don't care about him or really have any ideas for him. It's upsetting. They did nothing for his 50th anniversary. Nothing!

That decision was probably made seperate from Anderson's mini or both were a happy accident.

I'm surprised they just didn't have Anderson come up with a different story for the miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    That's how I know they don't care about him or really have any ideas for him. It's upsetting. They did nothing for his 50th anniversary. Nothing!
    Im starting to believe that as well, this is not how you're supposed to treat one of your most popular black characters.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Marvel has no clue what to do with him. This mayor thing is trash.
    There's interesting things you can do with Luke as mayor. For instance, DC/Wildstorm had a comic a few years back called Ex Machina about a former superhero who became mayor of New York. They were able balance action and suspense with various real world issues. Having said that, if Luke were in a similar comic, the whole point of it would be he'd actually have go try to change things and clearly Marvel doesn't want to go there with the character ( as of yet ).

Invincible Member

Im starting to believe that as well, this is not how you're supposed to treat one of your most popular black characters.
    Yeah, Luke ( similar to Blade ) is in this odd position where he's real world famous, but his title doesn't sell in the comics market.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah, Luke ( similar to Blade ) is in this odd position where he's real world famous, but his title doesn't sell in the comics market.
    Blade just pisses me it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel was intentionally sabotaging him. It sure seems like it. I still live 70'd and 80's Luke. My favorite version. I love him as a Hero-for-Hire. His adventures were endless. He could be anywhere and meet anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's interesting things you can do with Luke as mayor. For instance, DC/Wildstorm had a comic a few years back called Ex Machina about a former superhero who became mayor of New York. They were able balance action and suspense with various real world issues. Having said that, if Luke were in a similar comic, the whole point of it would be he'd actually have go try to change things and clearly Marvel doesn't want to go there with the character ( as of yet ).
    I agree. I just don't see the creative talent at the house if ideas nor do I see management support for something that interesting that should be handled with bold creativity. They're more interested in Jessica Jones than Luke Cage lol. At least it seems so to me.