Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Their voice trails off and Krys focuses on the words, the leader, and the warriors running to and fro.

OOC - Krys is going to try to get some kind of Insight, here. What's the mood? Are the shooters angry? Fearful? Enjoying themselves? Eager? Their leader - are they just parroting the words as 'something to justify their actions', or is there real meaning behind the flat tone? Does 'surrender' have any real meaning, or just something they are saying? I know they're not human, hard to read the situation well, I'm sure. But trying to get a little more information, especially if Krys can get a look at the defenders and try to figure out THEIR mood.
    spoilers:
    The mood is a bit of a strange one. It's hard to project the tells of human body language onto the police footsoldiers, with their non-human physiology they simply don't move or react like conventional humans. The strongest vibe that Krys can get from the shamblers is that they are "driven" and perhaps a little dazed. When they are hit with arrows, they don't react quickly, almost like they don't feel that much pain but are still driven to retreat.

Their leader, as far as Krys can tell, seems to be forthright in his declarations. Mushed and slurring his voice may be but there seems to be a core of belief within it. This being seems to believe in justice and that he represents an authority that has legal jurisdiction here. Krys notes that there's not much discussion of what could happen to the offenders /after/ the surrender and they have enough knowledge of the concept of punitive justice to have ideas about what that might mean.

The defenders in the building under siege are a bit too distant to get much of a read on them as they are moving from window to window, dodging shots and firing back. Krys can just about catch a glimpse of some clearly yelling others. Perhaps panicked? They are, after all, trapped and being fired upon by inhuman, smelly monsters.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    "Unclear which side that would be at present. The origins of the buildings are one thing, Krys, but I'd rather determine the origins of these beings right now. Since I have SkullSeeker active, I can attempt scanning multiple perspectives."

Jane sends her drone high...then a curious set of black goggles glowing with emerald glow appear over her eyes, simply slipping on out of what appears to be nowhere as she scans the crowd. They manifest as a strangely three lensed mechanism.

OOC: Jane stacks BRA at the moment, then uses the Skill Spectral Sight to enhance her Notice.

She then uses Skullseeker to try to get a sense of where the Police-things might be coming from and if there are reinforcements on the way for either side of the conflict. She also tries to use it and her own vision to see what the nature of those in the building are (biologically, and how organized they are).

After a scan from higher up as mentioned she'll direct Skullseeker more daringly, even seeking to fly it into the building's interior for information although she will try to direct it in a more clandestine fashion through a window not being observed at the moment.
    spoilers:
    Jane counts 9 shambling foot soldiers assaulting the building. She doesn't detect how they gained entry to this part of the city, nor where they might have come from. Reinforcements don't seem forthcoming but then the crew within the building look to be at a disadvantage in terms of firepower and positioning. They have a defensive stronghold, but it is also their prison.

The crew within the building read as spiritually mundane, possibly human based on what she can make out both from her position here and from the drone. With her spectral sight illuminating the position of their souls, she sees them moving quickly from spot to spot within the building. Firing a few shots and trying not to get pinned down and not grouping up too tightly at any given moment. There is a small group separated off from those manning the defences, milling around in the rear of the building, perhaps looking for an exit? They number 7 in total.

The SkullSeeker swoops down, aiming for a window that is not currently occupied to gain entry but Jane suddenly finds that her feed has cut out. The last images sent to her record the drone being struck by a projectile and sent tumbling to the ground. It's unclear as to which side spotted it.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-03-2023 at 04:56 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

"Understood, Jane; I'll leave the unnecessary speculation until later." Krys grimaces. "I don't really have enough to work with, here," they mutter, before raising their voice. Not a lot - they're still trying not to alert either side. "I can't get a grasp on this situation, other than that the ones outside seem a tad disconnected? But that tells me nothing." They survey what they can see of both sides, once again. "Sure, if I go by appearances...and bias." They chew on their bottom lip for a moment, uncertain. "All gods curse it," Krys whispers, a throw-back to a previous life.

A pained expression crosses their face, then. "I think I'm going to need to get closer, see what else I can find out. Maybe even talk with both sides." That will most certainly not go over well with at least one of them, but what choice do they have? Other than take Rae's suggestion and keep moving on. Both shoulders shift under the over-sized coat, a barest hint of a shrug. So be it. "Understand, I'm not going to drag everyone into this if they'd rather pass by. But I can't. Not without figuring out what's happening here." People live, people die; such things have no real impact upon All Things on any scale but their own. The universes do not care. But as long as those people live, their experiences have meaning to themselves; that's enough for Krys.

Deep breath in, deep breath out. "Jane, does your little spy give you anything more?"
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

GM Note: Just to provide a bit more geographical detail.

The party is currently to the rear of the gardens, backed against a wall that was once a street. Closest to them is the commander figure and his microphone. The gardens with their various barricades stretch for about 40 metres ahead of them before meeting with a chest-high wall made of white stone with thin columns at one metre intervals, providing little cover from fire or from being spotted.

The garden itself has a central path that leads to the entrance of the building, with a large (now largely destroyed) fountain halfway down, with a few wrought iron benches set around it. The wide path is lined by ranks of topiary hedges, some of which have been melted and consumed by toxic slime and the footfalls of shambling foot soldiers that are making their way towards the house. There are two now burning vehicles to the right hand side of the garden close the entrance way. This is, presumably the vehicles that brought the police forces to this location and they look to have been nailed with some kind of explosive from the building that stopped their approach. The carousel sits on the opposite side, likewise burning and list awkwardly to one side in a drunken manner.

There are nine shamblers moving through the garden and taking potshots. Four of them are conventionally human in dimensions, taking up forward positions and firing on the building, two of them skew much larger and are largely hanging back from the firefight; hulking swollen bodies of muscle covered by skin roughly the colour and consistency of rubber tires.

One seems to be almost falling to pieces, his body much more liquid than the others but his footfalls and the slime he drops gives off acrid smoke on a much higher scale than the others.

One is moving very swiftly from spot to spot, constantly snapping his aim to suppress defenders that appear in the windows to shoot and the last is a small squat figure lurking amidst the bushes, between the large hulking figures and the frontline. All have their attention occupied on the main building and have not yet noticed the presence of the interlopers.

If they wish to escape unnoticed then the most logical course of action would be to keep low and sneak down the left hand side of the garden towards the carousel. This does not account for the raised vantage point of the defenders who would, you assume, have a pretty clear view over the gardens as a whole, with the carousel providing the greatest amounts of cover.

The hellhound whines slightly and paws at Kinu, as it is keen to move on. The creature is still quite badly hurt and it is perhaps mindful of how easily it could be dispatched without fulfilling its duty.

Jane notes Skullseeker going down with annoyance.

"Well, there goes that drone, for the moment," she announces. "I was not able to tell much more than you were. No reinforcements seem forthcoming for either side, likely the ones in front arrived in the mostly destroyed vehicles. Inside, there is a small group which seem to be unremarkable in a spiritual sense, perhaps human, but I cannot tell more than this, and as you say, appearances may deceive. They are outnumbered, seeming to be 7 against the 10 outside. They are quite trapped and have no plan yet for this situation."

She scans the environment again, to no avail and looks back at Krys as their words come.

"Now that would definitely provide more information, but at some expense. If you really want to try and have a conversation with them, well."

Still processing, she gives a significant look at Krys and lets the words hang for a moment, making her disapproval clear.

"If that is your decision, anyone moving forward or seeking hiding should slip around to the left hand side and keep crouched. At very least, our new guide," Jane spares a glance at the hellhound, holding a blank expression while doing so, "should stay out of this."

"However," she continues, her reluctance clear, "if I am to cover you and the others remain in hiding, there is no reason for me to move forward and place myself closer to harm. It also seems unlikely I would remain in cover against both sides at once if we are required to eliminate both parties. Therefore I will remain here and act as support if we move forward with this idea."

Jane produces her sniper rifle once more, the long frame appearing from her arm, various pieces floating and attaching itself mid-air as raindrops slick down its length. She sights down the scope, pressing herself flat to the ground, a smaller target.

"I appreciate you leaving us a choice here, but I cannot turn down any help in my part of this quest, so I, at least, will remain. Try to avoid excess damage. You may be able to heal others, but I can only kill. Are you certain you need do this? They may have good reason for this conflict."
    Last edited by Postmania; 04-03-2023 at 10:53 AM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

"I will assist however the two of you choose," said Nemo. As disgusting as the entities were to her personal sensibilities, seeing a civilization outside of her gods' influence was still inherently interesting, and it was especially interesting to find what appeared to be a whole group who, from context, might possibly be at home in this ever-shifting City? Unless this stand-off had just coincidentally been shunted into it by the dimensional warping, of course, but neither side seemed unperturbed by it. Moreover, this area seemed to have some kind of stabilizing effect. At the very least, the landscape wasn't warping and wefting at every passing glance. Was this a special eddy in the dimensional current, or was this the effect of a concentrated group of people all sharing the same space?

"I go where my bunny goes, but I still say we go around," said Rae.

Retired Overlord

"If you're going to be so dead set on poking your head out in the middle of a brawl like this....then I have no choice, I'll stay close and keep you in one piece." Ella finally spoke up, her voice directed to Krys. "Conflict De-escalation is my specialty....a bit bigger the a bar fight but I think I can manage as long as you're not expecting me to be the guns blazing type. I'd rather not...kill, if it comes to that....which I hope it won't." Ella projected a confident voice, but between the pauses and her body language she betrayed a small amount of something...nervousness? Worry?

The hologram eyed the attackers in the distance for a moment, then turned back to Krys. "If your ok with that, of course."

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "If you're going to be so dead set on poking your head out in the middle of a brawl like this....then I have no choice, I'll stay close and keep you in one piece." Ella finally spoke up, her voice directed to Krys. "Conflict De-escalation is my specialty....a bit bigger the a bar fight but I think I can manage as long as you're not expecting me to be the guns blazing type. I'd rather not...kill, if it comes to that....which I hope it won't." Ella projected a confident voice, but between the pauses and her body language she betrayed a small amount of something...nervousness? Worry?

The hologram eyed the attackers in the distance for a moment, then turned back to Krys. "If your ok with that, of course."
    Cassa, who has managed to interpret from context that it should crouch, looks to Ella with its blank face.

"Do you require assistance?" it asks in a none-to-quiet voice. Fortunately, it seems the noise of the loudspeaker and gunfire still mask its presence to the nearest toxic being.

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Cassa, who has managed to interpret from context that it should crouch, looks to Ella with its blank face.

"Do you require assistance?" it asks in a none-to-quiet voice. Fortunately, it seems the noise of the loudspeaker and gunfire still mask its presence to the nearest toxic being.
    "Shhh...Turn down the volume, we don't wanna make it seem like we're being sneaky back here." Ella quickly responded in a hushed voice and a gesture of quiet. "...well....we are....but peacefully, and they might not see it that way. Anyways I don't believe you can help here...it might be safer for you to..." Ella paused, glancing over to the shooting in the distance and then back to Cassa. "....Hey...just to make sure......do you know anything about those people that are shooting at the building over there? Like who they are?" Ella didn't hold out for hope as Cassa seemed as new to the area as they were, but still....

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    "I will assist however the two of you choose," said Nemo. As disgusting as the entities were to her personal sensibilities, seeing a civilization outside of her gods' influence was still inherently interesting, and it was especially interesting to find what appeared to be a whole group who, from context, might possibly be at home in this ever-shifting City? Unless this stand-off had just coincidentally been shunted into it by the dimensional warping, of course, but neither side seemed unperturbed by it. Moreover, this area seemed to have some kind of stabilizing effect. At the very least, the landscape wasn't warping and wefting at every passing glance. Was this a special eddy in the dimensional current, or was this the effect of a concentrated group of people all sharing the same space?

"I go where my bunny goes, but I still say we go around," said Rae.
    Nemo notices that while the square itself is stable, it seems largely because of the presence of many people all observing it concurrently rather than any intrinsic properties of the place itself. The back wall that they had walked through, when it had been a street, presumably was not being closely scrutinised such that it allowed their entrance to this space. Now they were within it and observing it, it too was "locked down" by observance.

As she looks around, she can see that landmarks beyond the walls of the gardens are still shifting and changing as she takes her eyes off them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "Shhh...Turn down the volume, we don't wanna make it seem like we're being sneaky back here." Ella quickly responded in a hushed voice and a gesture of quiet. "...well....we are....but peacefully, and they might not see it that way. Anyways I don't believe you can help here...it might be safer for you to..." Ella paused, glancing over to the shooting in the distance and then back to Cassa. "....Hey...just to make sure......do you know anything about those people that are shooting at the building over there? Like who they are?" Ella didn't hold out for hope as Cassa seemed as new to the area as they were, but still....
    Cassa looks over at the toxic troop laying siege to the building and appears to ponder for a moment. Its metallic skin shifts and flares slightly like iron filings being put close to a magnet. When it speaks, its voice is much quieter but in the manner of a volume having been turned down rather than any change in their delivery.

"Initial <SENSORY_SWEEP> indicates that <SUBJECT:UNKNOWN_LIFEFORM(S)> are not an entry in the database of <**Cassa!**How**does**that**sound***> presently," it says, before letting out a few quiet bleeps and the ripples in its skin flow up toward its head. "<ANALYSIS PROTOCOL: PROCESSING> / <COMPOUND ANALYSIS RESULT: LIMITED_WITHOUT_SAMPLE> // <ANALYSIS COMPLETE> ///"

Its skin abruptly becomes still once more and it raises an arm, pointing to the figure who appears to be in charge with loudhailer.

"All subjects within [<DATA_SET>] exhibit signs of mutation within <ORGANIC_CELLULAR_STRUCTURE>. <DESIGNATION> [MUTANT_LIFEFORMS]. Subject with [SONIC_ENHANCEMENT_DEVICE] (hence <SUB_DESIGNATION> [LOUD_MUTANT]) appears to be the originator of the <MUTAGEN_COMPONENT>. Other subjects are host(s) to but are not generating further <MUTAGEN_COMPONENT>, [LOUD_MUTANT] is the source. No further data forthcoming without appropriate sample or direct information gathering,"

"Understood, Jane; I'll leave the unnecessary speculation until later." Krys grimaces. "I don't really have enough to work with, here," they mutter, before raising their voice. Not a lot - they're still trying not to alert either side. "I can't get a grasp on this situation, other than that the ones outside seem a tad disconnected? But that tells me nothing." They survey what they can see of both sides, once again. "Sure, if I go by appearances...and bias." They chew on their bottom lip for a moment, uncertain. "All gods curse it," Krys whispers, a throw-back to a previous life.

A pained expression crosses their face, then. "I think I'm going to need to get closer, see what else I can find out. Maybe even talk with both sides." That will most certainly not go over well with at least one of them, but what choice do they have? Other than take Rae's suggestion and keep moving on. Both shoulders shift under the over-sized coat, a barest hint of a shrug. So be it. "Understand, I'm not going to drag everyone into this if they'd rather pass by. But I can't. Not without figuring out what's happening here." People live, people die; such things have no real impact upon All Things on any scale but their own. The universes do not care. But as long as those people live, their experiences have meaning to themselves; that's enough for Krys.

Deep breath in, deep breath out. "Jane, does your little spy give you anything more?"
    Trevor looks to Krys and they can see that he is keen to help, perhaps wanting to make up for his absence in the last conflict. He peers over at the battle and his face shifts with an expression, not quite of fear, but of adrenaline and determination.

"Ser Krys," he whispers, loud enough for the others to hear but maintaining whatever secrecy he can muster, "I'm the smallest and look to pose the least threat. I could try sneak over there and squirm my way in through that barricade or a window or something. If I get caught by the... melting... guys with the hats, I don't think they'll think me to be dangerous and the fellow doin' all that talking sounds like a ... man... of laws. Better me be spotted and thought of as just a lost kid than they see Miss Jane or Master Kinu and her demon dog and think we're looking to start something,"

He gets into a form of crouch, waiting for Krys' assent to his mission, eager to please.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-05-2023 at 02:05 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Krys grimaces. Pity that Jane's sensor system was struck; it had been providing useful information. "More than I got," they mutter. "Thanks, Jane." They offer a lopsided smile. "I can see your opinion on my idea, but I don't know any other way of getting information, here. Certainly I'd keep to your infiltration plan; it's likely better than anything I could come up with. And I would appreciate the cover; I've no interest in losing my life." Yet. They ponder for a long moment, giving Jane's question the consideration it deserves. Then, "Again, I can't see any other way of figuring out what is actually going on here. Situations are rarely as cut-and-dried as they seem, and I'd like to have at least some idea of which way to stick my nose into this one."

A spat of gunfire has them ducking reflexively; then Krys offers a helpless shrug before turning toward Nemo.

"It's appreciated." They eye the mage for a moment, considering, then give up. "I admit, you know what you can do better than I do, so if you see somewhere you can step in, please let me know. Right now, the plan looks like trying to sneak through this mess and speak with the trapped people." Ella's interjection captures their attention. About to demure, Krys reassesses. Not a young, inexperienced person; just looks like one. Who knows how old and skilled they are? "I'm open to any help or advice you can give, and I could use someone with 'conflict resolution skills'." They motion to Jane. "Like Jane says, she has one option if things go south. If we have a few we can employ before she needs to start shutting people down, that would be good."

The mechanoid is blaring information - quieter, now - and it's important, but Trevor demands attention. "You and me both, Trevor," Krys whispers back. Sending him into this mess sounds...well, it doesn't sit well with them. But the young man has experience of his own, and he has offered. Krys can't just sideline him as useless. "Might be best if you and I go together - we're both pretty inoffensive, and if things go wrong we can rely on each other for help. Will have Jane on watch, as well, and the others. What do you say to that?" they finish, inquiring of Trevor's own opinion.

Their gaze flicks to the mechanoid again. "I'm getting a better picture thanks to the analysis," Krys murmurs thoughtfully. Mutagens? Altered beings? The source being the leader? Yeah, that's sounding less and less good, especially with them looking like they're 'driven'. "And that picture is definitely shading against the besiegers. Still want to check with the ones in the building, mind."
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

As she gazed through the lens, Jane activates the Reach Out component of her system. Functioning as an extension of her already sharp senses, this manifests itself through the scope now extending through unseen mechanism, the chrome stretching to encompass this new length. She peers at the battlefield once more, seeking any new information, scanning once across the masses of misshapen assaulters through the rain, then the shouting figure, then sweeping it past the building, going floor by floor each time until there are no further floors. Her Spectral Sight continued to enhance her vision as she did so.
    Last edited by Postmania; 04-05-2023 at 04:56 AM.
    -Stephen McCranie

As she gazed through the lens, Jane activates the Reach Out component of her system. Functioning as an extension of her already sharp senses, this manifests itself through the scope now extending through unseen mechanism, the chrome stretching to encompass this new length. She peers at the battlefield once more, seeking any new information, scanning once across the masses of misshapen assaulters through the rain, then the shouting figure, then sweeping it past the building, going floor by floor each time until there are no further floors. Her Spectral Sight continued to enhance her vision as she did so.
    spoilers:
    Jane doesn't glean anything new about those besieging the building than has already been discovered by the party at large. While she is no stranger to violence and the destruction of the human form, it is definitely unsettling to see it twisted and melted in such ways while the victims of such a change remain doggedly functional.

Turning her attention to the building, she sees one figure behind the main barricade; a physically powerful looking woman with a shaved head. She is apparently throwing more and more furniture on to the pile to reinforce things and taking occasional shots with their crossbow occasionally when a shambling figure attempts to cross the threshold of the gate and make a plodding run for the door.

Moving to the first floor above the ground floor, she sees a trio of figures moving between the windows and taking shots out of the window. One has a bright shock of red hair which makes him stand out, he is quite tall and muscular. The second is a tall and thin man who moves with balletic grace and is moving more swiftly from window to window. The last on this floor is a small squat figure with a thick beard who only appears to hurl a grenade out of the window with the attitude of a housewife handling a dead mouse. All three seem to be having a constant a frantic conversation, Jane is too distant to hear but that they seem to all be yelling at each other.

On the third floor, a single figure is posted up at a small window. She isn't fully visible but Jane recognises from her posture, patience and the significantly larger crossbow she holds that she must be something of a marksman. It is her efforts that is keeping the mob at bay, she reacts quickly to any enemy that attempts to break cover with impressive accuracy, driving them back with a few key shots of suppressing fire. Her positioning suggests that either she, or someone in the group, has a grasp of tactics.

Finally, Jane's Spectral Vision reveals that the final two members of the group are on the ground floor toward the rear of the building. As she has no line of sight on them, she cannot see what they are doing but they seem to alternate between moving quickly around the floor and then settling on a central spot together. Perhaps attempting to make a new exit? It's not very clear.
    end of spoilers

"Your assistance is appreciated," expressed Jane. "There are a fair amount of hostiles for two. Well," she clarified, "potential hostiles."

Jane listened to Cassa's analysis with care.

"If the leader is truly the source of this mutagen, it makes for an even more tempting target. Of course," Jane shrugged, "a shot to the head, literally or figuratively, is already my primary operational mode, so this changes little for me."

At these words, Jane's mood seems to lift from her earlier reluctant setting, the anticipation of action calming her. With Trevor's suggestion, however, despite her position on the ground and facing away, Jane seemed poised to speak again, but settles as Krys interjects.

"I agree with Krys going along," she replies mildly. "Should the occupants prove hostile, being alone seems inadvisable. And Krys is also disarming, as we know."

"In any case," Jane added, "a closer look through the scope reveals the occupants do appear as humanoid as Krys or Trevor. They appear to be better organized than they appeared at first observation. Standby for a transcription of observations noted."

Jane's voice takes on a more robotic tone as she describes those in the building.

"Most immediately encountered will be what appears to be a powerful woman manning the barricade, armed with a crossbow and capably holding back advances on the ground floor.
    Visible on the floor above are three providing covering fire on the courtyard below. They are engaged in conversation and seem rather calm.
    Two floors above is their markswoman with a more impressive, albeit still primitive, crossbow. She seems," for a moment Jane's voice slips out of its analytical tone to one of approval, "capable enough.
    Finally, there are two near the rear of the building at the far side of our position. They seem to be moving back and forth on the ground floor, however, although my Spectral Sight function does allow direct vision of the souls of the occupants for reconnaissance purposes, I cannot determine any further details through a wall. Perhaps these two act as command and control for the group."

Jane considers for a moment, then twists her head around, once again seeming to turn it at a not quite natural angle to look at the group from her prone position.

"I doubt we can determine much more from this distance without a telepath or seer. The decision," she nods to Krys and Trevor, "is yours. I will maintain my Spectral Sight", Jane taps her new manifested goggles, "in the case that you move into the building in any case."

Jane paused for a moment.

"We may want to establish IFF. If the inhabitants of the building start firing on either of you, is it then our assumption that we should immediately fire on them, or are you confident in your ability to get closer to uncover information?"

Jane met Krys' gaze evenly for the last sentence.

"We would also be giving our position away to the decaying ones outside in the process, in which case the situation will quickly become...disordered."
    Last edited by Postmania; 04-05-2023 at 01:41 PM.
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Nemo notices that while the square itself is stable, it seems largely because of the presence of many people all observing it concurrently rather than any intrinsic properties of the place itself. The back wall that they had walked through, when it had been a street, presumably was not being closely scrutinised such that it allowed their entrance to this space. Now they were within it and observing it, it too was "locked down" by observance.

As she looks around, she can see that landmarks beyond the walls of the gardens are still shifting and changing as she takes her eyes off them.
    Most likely just the sheer numbers lent to observational enforcement, Nemo decided.

"It's appreciated." They eye the mage for a moment, considering, then give up. "I admit, you know what you can do better than I do, so if you see somewhere you can step in, please let me know. Right now, the plan looks like trying to sneak through this mess and speak with the trapped people." Ella's interjection captures their attention. About to demure, Krys reassesses. Not a young, inexperienced person; just looks like one. Who knows how old and skilled they are? "I'm open to any help or advice you can give, and I could use someone with 'conflict resolution skills'." They motion to Jane. "Like Jane says, she has one option if things go south. If we have a few we can employ before she needs to start shutting people down, that would be good."
    "In any case," Jane added, "a closer look through the scope reveals the occupants do appear as humanoid as Krys or Trevor. They appear to be better organized than they appeared at first observation. Standby for a transcription of observations noted."

Jane's voice takes on a more robotic tone as she describes those in the building.

"Most immediately encountered will be what appears to be a powerful woman manning the barricade, armed with a crossbow and capably holding back advances on the ground floor.
    Visible on the floor above are three providing covering fire on the courtyard below. They are engaged in conversation and seem rather calm.
    Two floors above is their markswoman with a more impressive, albeit still primitive, crossbow. She seems," for a moment Jane's voice slips out of its analytical tone to one of approval, "capable enough.
    Finally, there are two near the rear of the building at the far side of our position. They seem to be moving back and forth on the ground floor, however, although my Spectral Sight function does allow direct vision of the souls of the occupants for reconnaissance purposes, I cannot determine any further details through a wall. Perhaps these two act as command and control for the group."

Jane considers for a moment, then twists her head around, once again seeming to turn it at a not quite natural angle to look at the group from her prone position.

"I doubt we can determine much more from this distance without a telepath or seer. The decision," she nods to Krys and Trevor, "is yours. I will maintain my Spectral Sight", Jane taps her new manifested goggles, "in the case that you move into the building in any case."

"We may want to establish IFF. If the inhabitants of the building start firing on either of you, is it then our assumption that we should immediately fire on them, or are you confident in your ability to get closer to uncover information?"

Jane met Krys' gaze evenly for the last sentence.

"We would also be giving our position away to the decaying ones outside in the process, in which case the situation will quickly become...disordered."
    "Most of my scouting powers are inaccessible at the moment," said Nemo. "And Rae's in no fit condition to scout ahead on her own. My thought was to extend out some strings for Rae to connect to to see what she could see and hear, but it's clear Jane and Cassa have far more sophisticated methods. I doubt I could tell you anything more than they could, but we could still try." She makes a vague gesture to the area around them. "I did notice the relative stability of this location, but I surmise it's more to do with the sheer number of people lending their attention to it. The best I can suggest is that we get overwhelmed and have to make a run for it, providing an opening is available, we should be able to lose them easily if we can break line of sight. I have a couple options to decoys to mislead any hostiles in that event. However, as we are presently enclosed, I'm not seeing a reliable exit point right now."