Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think it has to do with the times as well, with the 80s tough macho man being phased out in favour of the nerd underdog.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Why is Bendis even here? He already wrote Logan when he had Avengers and by the time he got on X-Men, Wolverine was mostly under Aaron and whoever had the solo.

It's the same with Gillen's Uncanny which was after Schism.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This made me laugh. Ha.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why is Bendis even here? He already wrote Logan when he had Avengers and by the time he got on X-Men, Wolverine was mostly under Aaron and whoever had the solo.

It's the same with Gillen's Uncanny which was after Schism.
    Let's not forget Bendis's Ultimate X-Men mostly focused Logan from left and right. He had featured him in cameos from left and right since Daredevil. He seems to be always in center of his "big events". From House of M to Secret Invasion then Age of Ultron. That guy surely uses Logan a LOT. Even more than Aaron during that time. But he has always been subpar.

I still like Hickman's far more than Bendis. He is actually been able to make him funny without changing his gruffy character

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Before this continues to delve into a character vs. chararcter/macho vs. nerd type of thing, I'm pretty sure the answer is more closely aligned to the characters and their roles as well as availability. Wolverine was mostly hogged by Aaron when Gillen was writing and Percy seems to be in charge of Wolverine currently. I'm pretty sure that partially limits his use for Duggan and probably limited Hickman. Bendis has wrote a lot of Wolverine already and seemed interested in Scott's story when he began writing. Gillen admitted the same. Fraction probably just had a fun time writing Cyclops. I'm not sure that says anything about Wolverine.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 02-07-2023 at 07:17 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

BANNED

I like Cyclops. We haven't had classic X-Men team over the years since HoX/PoX. It's time we have something like this since XTAS is relaunching and we also have X-Men anniversary.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I like Cyclops. We haven't had classic X-Men team over the years since HoX/PoX. It's time we have something like this since XTAS is relaunching and we also have X-Men anniversary.
    It would be great to see Storm, Jean, Cyclops and Wolverine on a team. They always seem to be going in different directions.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Wolverine represents a pretty well-worn trope - the grizzled, rebellious loner who chafes at rules and decorum but secretly has a heart of gold. A lot of the current writers are of my generation and grew up with Clint Eastwood and the 80s action anti-heroes (and doubtless loved them), and I'd suspect that like me they've simply grown out of that trope and find other character types more interesting now.

Feels like plenty of writers still find him interesting considering his guest appearances. In the current era, however, he's been confined to the Ben Percy-verse in terms of ongoings. Which is fine in the case of his solo as it's quite solid, but X-Force is atrocious so I'm hoping Logan jumps to a different team soon now that he's apparently left that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Before this continues to delve into a character vs. chararcter/macho vs. nerd type of thing, I'm pretty sure the answer is more closely aligned to the characters and their roles as well as availability. Wolverine was mostly hogged by Aaron when Gillen was writing and Percy seems to be in charge of Wolverine currently. I'm pretty sure that partially limits his use for Duggan and probably limited Hickman. Bendis has wrote a lot of Wolverine already and seemed interested in Scott's story when he began writing. Gillen admitted the same. Fraction probably just had a fun time writing Cyclops. I'm not sure that says anything about Wolverine.
    I love them both. Of course, the best of both worlds is Cable... a grizzled badass and incredible strategist and tactician who happens to be Scott's son. He's basically like "What if Cyclops and Wolverine had a son together?"
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Wolverine represents a pretty well-worn trope - the grizzled, rebellious loner who chafes at rules and decorum but secretly has a heart of gold. A lot of the current writers are of my generation and grew up with Clint Eastwood and the 80s action anti-heroes (and doubtless loved them), and I'd suspect that like me they've simply grown out of that trope and find other character types more interesting now.
    Others of the same generation still seem to be in favor this kind of character archetype though, so it might be more to the personal preference of writers/editors in the X-office and not reflective of what the general audience might want. Especialy since Wolverine still evidently seem to boost sales numbers even on mediocre written comics staring him.
    Nor might it be reflective of what the entirety of current gen of writers (outside the X-office) might think/feel.

Also that sounds like a trope that is going to be cycling, IF there was even a waning love/interest for the character.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-07-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    It would be great to see Storm, Jean, Cyclops and Wolverine on a team. They always seem to be going in different directions.
    I love this idea.

I also would love a Wolverine and Cyclops limited run. Perhaps a rescue mission of some sort that shows just how much they trust each other and how well they can work together that builds off of all their years together as X-Men. No contrived schism, no unnecessary friction, just two of the best X-Men doing what they do best and being heroes for about 6 issues.

BANNED

He's easy to use as a self-insert. Lots of people identify with the uncool crippling self-doubt thing, and then he wins in the end. Perfect for the very average dude writing himself as the hero.

I should note that I don't think Gillen's stuff comes off this way.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 02-07-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Feels like plenty of writers still find him interesting considering his guest appearances. In the current era, however, he's been confined to the Ben Percy-verse in terms of ongoings. Which is fine in the case of his solo as it's quite solid, but X-Force is atrocious so I'm hoping Logan jumps to a different team soon now that he's apparently left that one.

I love them both. Of course, the best of both worlds is Cable... a grizzled badass and incredible strategist and tactician who happens to be Scott's son. He's basically like "What if Cyclops and Wolverine had a son together?"
    A lot of writers use Logan for guest appearances just to help sell their book. You can tell which ones have no interest in him when all they do is use him for a snarky comment or 2 and have him him pop his claws never to be seen again for the rest of the book. I know a lot folks here have a hate boner for Percy, but currently he seems to be the only writer at Marvel interested in writing Logan.

As for Cable, I think it would've made more sense if it was revealed to be the future son of Logan rather than Cyclops. If Stryfe wasn't revealed to be a clone of Cable, he should've been revealed to have been Nathan Christopher Summers. I feel like the son of Cyclops stuff killed a lot of his momentum right when he was red hot as a character early on... or at least it did for me.

There is a reason why in the Cyclops thread we call him Captain Cameo. In the Krakoa era Cyclops is one of the most superfluous character who still is used.

Cyclops was used a lot during the decimation years mostly because of the editorial direction and not because of some love the writers had for the character. I believe Gillen likes Scott, but I don't think he have any preference for him, if anything is quite clear he prefers the ambiguous snarky character like Sinister and Emma, but during his run in Uncanny X-Men he was tasked with writing Cyclops point of view and he did really fraking well.

Currently, Cyclops is aside from main events, Ewing and Gillen are the ones driving and as far as we can tell, they have zero interest in using the character. If I had to bet, they are saving Cyclops for when they need to sacrifice a really well known and popular character to drive home how "serious" some threat is.

While Wolverine isn't as important in this era as Storm or Xavier, he still is Wolverine, the one we know will be there in every event, with a solo comic to give him focus and the possibility of getting into the next Avengers team.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 02-07-2023 at 02:44 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Lol, classic!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker