Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Revolution/Schism Cyclops > any Wolverine period

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Feels like plenty of writers still find him interesting considering his guest appearances. In the current era, however, he's been confined to the Ben Percy-verse in terms of ongoings. Which is fine in the case of his solo as it's quite solid, but X-Force is atrocious so I'm hoping Logan jumps to a different team soon now that he's apparently left that one.

I love them both. Of course, the best of both worlds is Cable... a grizzled badass and incredible strategist and tactician who happens to be Scott's son. He's basically like "What if Cyclops and Wolverine had a son together?"
    Yes. Yes, indeed. It's kind of a Batman/Superman thing over at DC, or Captain America/Iron Man if we're sticking with Marvel. Their personalities and attitudes may clash, but they have a shared cause that unites them despite their differences and makes them far stronger together than they would be separately. Hell, Cable referring to Wolverine as "Uncle Logan" would be a spectacular way to incorporate him into the Grey-Summers family dynamic.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    As for Cable, I think it would've made more sense if it was revealed to be the future son of Logan rather than Cyclops. If Stryfe wasn't revealed to be a clone of Cable, he should've been revealed to have been Nathan Christopher Summers. I feel like the son of Cyclops stuff killed a lot of his momentum right when he was red hot as a character early on... or at least it did for me.
    I may be one of the few people who liked the Ultimate U twist on Cable that he was actually Logan from the future. Your concept above is interesting too... if Cable was Logan's son from the future (or Logan himself like in the Ultimate U) and Stryfe was his arch nemesis and Cyclops' son from the future, that could've been highly interesting. Taking their rivalry/feud to the next generation.

As for the rest of your comment, I also find it intriguing to pull at that thread because Cable is such a polarizing character. There are those who felt he was better as a man of mystery with cybernetic parts and a classified military history, and that when they layered on all the time travel and the time-displaced son of Cyclops origin it ruined the character and epitomizes everything that was wrong with comics at the time... namely insular storytelling that was convoluted and impenetrable for new audiences. By the same token, there are others who felt that Cable's very look (guns, pouches) and his transforming the beloved New Mutants into the grimdark X-Force was an affront to comics too.

In my mind, while he is convoluted, I think that when they decided to make him a time traveler it was actually a smart move to tie him to one of the most important families in the Marvel Universe. The Summers line is right up there with the Richards line in importance. And the House of Magnus too. Plus throw in the Grey side of the family, vis-a-vis her being the genetic template for his mother, and he's essentially mutant royalty (in fact, he's been referred to as such in the Krakoan era). Sooo... having him just be a generic time traveler would've basically added the complexity without the payoff in terms of those familial connections. At least in my mind. Thus once they had "crossed the Rubicon" on that (i.e., making him from the future) they were better off going whole hog into the "he's an aged-up Nathan Christopher Summers returned from the future" angle.

My $.02 on the matter.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by emfrst View Post
    i mean fraction, gillen, hickman, duggan all had ctrol of both, but their stories feature cyke more

i could prove by posting all their issues, but that would b illegal
    I get what you are saying but it was like that before Fraction as well. Wolverine tended to be a supporting character primarily there to slash things bc he had his own solo where he could be lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Revolution/Schism Cyclops > any Wolverine period
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion... however strongly I disagree with it. Cyclops is a charisma vacuum and I feel sorry for any character that gets paired on a team with him lol. He just kills the whole vibe when he's around. Probably the reason he's the only major X-character that hasn't been featured in Fortnite(the game that panders to everyone and everything) because the game would probably just die if they did. Then again, maybe they should consider putting him in there since that game is poison to the youngins.

It only by Emma association not on his own merit.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    There is a reason why in the Cyclops thread we call him Captain Cameo. In the Krakoa era Cyclops is one of the most superfluous character who still is used.

Cyclops was used a lot during the decimation years mostly because of the editorial direction and not because of some love the writers had for the character. I believe Gillen likes Scott, but I don't think he have any preference for him, if anything is quite clear he prefers the ambiguous snarky character like Sinister and Emma, but during his run in Uncanny X-Men he was tasked with writing Cyclops point of view and he did really fraking well.

Currently, Cyclops is aside from main events, Ewing and Gillen are the ones driving and as far as we can tell, they have zero interest in using the character. If I had to bet, they are saving Cyclops for when they need to sacrifice a really well known and popular character to drive home how "serious" some threat is.

While Wolverine isn't as important in this era as Storm or Xavier, he still is Wolverine, the one we know will be there in every event, with a solo comic to give him focus and the possibility of getting into the next Avengers team.
    It's certainly not nice to say that of any character, but the general impression one can get of the wider fan and consumer base of X-men media and their opinion on Cyclops, is that he is the kind of character that is expect to be present, because of being one of the fundamental cast members of the X-men, but not necessarily liked or prefered by many of them.

Which is not to say that the character is necessarily hated, disliked or percieved as annoying (like Quentin Quire who the X-editorial seems weirdly obsessed with trying to make happen). But merely that he just doesn't entice people on his own, while his absence would still be noticed.

Obviously there are people who like and care about the character, including among each generation of writers, but they seem to be in a minority compared to the majority of consumers and their firm indifference to the character.

Of course this observation is not backed by factual and methodical obtained empirical data, but looking at what seems to be said or not said about the character after 3 cartoon shows and a dozen movies, it doesn't feel like many people are glamouring for more Cyclops.

There he goes. One of the X-men's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too boring to care, and too important to leave out.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-07-2023 at 06:03 PM.

There is a reason why in the Cyclops thread we call him Captain Cameo. In the Krakoa era Cyclops is one of the most superfluous character who still is used.

Cyclops was used a lot during the decimation years mostly because of the editorial direction and not because of some love the writers had for the character. I believe Gillen likes Scott, but I don't think he have any preference for him, if anything is quite clear he prefers the ambiguous snarky character like Sinister and Emma, but during his run in Uncanny X-Men he was tasked with writing Cyclops point of view and he did really fraking well.

Currently, Cyclops is aside from main events, Ewing and Gillen are the ones driving and as far as we can tell, they have zero interest in using the character. If I had to bet, they are saving Cyclops for when they need to sacrifice a really well known and popular character to drive home how "serious" some threat is.

While Wolverine isn't as important in this era as Storm or Xavier, he still is Wolverine, the one we know will be there in every event, with a solo comic to give him focus and the possibility of getting into the next Avengers team.
    I don't understand why everyone's immediate assumption when a character isn't being used is that a writer has no interest in using them. Duggan is the writer on X-Men and has Scott in his main cast, so he's controlling that story right now. Gillen perhaps could have used Scott instead of Jean in AXIS, for example, but he already wrote a big Scott run.

Fantastic Member

Scott has always been my favorite X-Men. He's the bridge between the classic and present X teams. Scott, was supposed to be the rational team leader who was supposed to think things through while Logan would be the rebellious one, who did the dirty work no one else wanted to do.
    However, for the past ten-fifteen years, the writers for Scott have vacillated in his portrayal. I remember several writers stating that Scott was their favorite, right before the character went off the deep end (don't remember which one). I don't understand what the current people were doing (Scott's affair with Emma, Scott killing Xavier, and other decisions). Were they trying to make him more Logan? Were they trying to give him some problems to overcome? Were they trying to make him more flawed? In any case, I didn't see Scott growing from these actions, but it seemed he was going in the opposite direction. Scott's my favorite X-Men, but to be honest I haven't liked him in years.

--jthree

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I don't understand why everyone's immediate assumption when a character isn't being used is that a writer has no interest in using them. Duggan is the writer on X-Men and has Scott in his main cast, so he's controlling that story right now. Gillen perhaps could have used Scott instead of Jean in AXIS, for example, but he already wrote a big Scott run.
    What I'm saying is that Gillen, for example, clearly have a story he wish to tell and characters he want to use, and to the story he is telling right now he apparently don't have plans of using Cyclops, and since Ewing and Gillen are the ones, at least for now, writing the "main events" of the Krakoa era, Cyclops isn't heavily used. The same can be said about Logan, actually, while he have a solo comic and is essential to Percy's plans, he isn't driving any big changes in the X-line, currently.

Could this all change? Probably, in Wolverine's case, everything going on in X-Force with Beast will definitely have huge effects in Krakoa and Logan is the character mostly tied to that, and I doubt when comes the time to payoff the setups they will have Kitty and Storm handle it and leave Wolverine on the sidelines.

What I'm saying is that Gillen, for example, clearly have a story he wish to tell and characters he want to use, and to the story he is telling right now he apparently don't have plans of using Cyclops, and since Ewing and Gillen are the ones, at least for now, writing the "main events" of the Krakoa era, Cyclops isn't heavily used. The same can be said about Logan, actually, while he have a solo comic and is essential to Percy's plans, he isn't driving any big changes in the X-line, currently.

Could this all change? Probably, in Wolverine's case, everything going on in X-Force with Beast will definitely have huge effects in Krakoa and Logan is the character mostly tied to that, and I doubt when comes the time to payoff the setups they will have Kitty and Storm handle it and leave Wolverine on the sidelines.
    I disagree, first of all, with the idea that Ewing and Gillen are more main than Duggan, who revealed resurrection and is writing the book we know kicks off Fall of X. And second of all, Gillen pretty clearly inherited the cast of the Quiet Council -- he had flexibility on the Magneto replacement but the X-Men status quo precluded Cyclops from being that replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I disagree, first of all, with the idea that Ewing and Gillen are more main than Duggan, who revealed resurrection and is writing the book we know kicks off Fall of X. And second of all, Gillen pretty clearly inherited the cast of the Quiet Council -- he had flexibility on the Magneto replacement but the X-Men status quo precluded Cyclops from being that replacement.
    As I said, at the moment, the books driving the main events are Immortal and X-Men Red. I wasn't aware Duggan would be the one kickstarting Fall of X, so maybe Cyclops will be getting a more meaty role in the coming events.

Anyway, my initial point still stands: I don't believe modern writers in general prefer Cyclops to Wolverine, just that for a long time Cyclops was in the center of the x-line while Wolverine was always the more universal character used in the big Marvel Universe. Currently, neither of them are at the center of the big events on Krakoa, but that can change any moment.