Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Well, I just finished reading Taming of the Shrew. And it's definitely my least favorite so far. I couldn't even understand it. There's so many characters! And everybody someone else's servant you have to keep straight, and everybody somebody else's servant, it's maddening! I finally had to give up on understanding it and just finish reading it!

Methinks King Lear is next.
    For many modern audiences, the biggest issue is Kate's capitulation and transformation into loyally subjected at the end. Many gallons of ink have been spilt among Shakespeare scholars about whether Shakespeare intended her final speech to be ironic, and how ironically it should be played. This is even used as the basis for a joke in Upstart Crow.

The play is much easier to follow when you see it acted out.
    Last edited by foxley; 02-12-2023 at 05:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    For many modern audiences, the biggest issue is Kate's capitulation and transformation into loyally subjected at the end. Many gallons of ink have been spilt among Shakespeare scholars about whether Shakespeare intended her final speech to be ironic, and how ironically it should be played. This is even used as the basis for a joke in Upstart Crow.

I agree with the latter part. I saw it at the Barbican in London in the late 90s, and found it surprisingly easy to follow as a non-native speaker.

Incredible Member

Book recommendation: https://www.harpercollins.com/produc...32207597305890

Sex with Shakespeare
    Here's Much to Do with Pain, but More with Love
    By Jillian Keenan

Reviews:
    “An English major’s dream!…You may have studied Shakespeare in high school, but it’s almost guaranteed that your literary analysis wasn’t anything like this…The connection to Shakespeare is a fascinating foil for Keenan’s life…[Her] writing is clear, relatable, and steady, even when conveying painful events in her past.” — Library Journal (starred review)

“Visceral, funny, and perceptive, this startling and very personal take on Shakespeare is genuinely revealing—not only about the author, but even more about the plays. Keenan notices and responds to things that criticism on the whole ignores. An enjoyable and impressive book.” — Stephen Orgel, Ph.D., Jackson Eli Reynolds Professor in Humanities at Stanford University and author of Imagining Shakespeare

“Moving and funny…Keenan’s original takes on Shakespeare are just as fascinating and insightful as her takes on sex, lust, and love. Fans (kinky or not) of Shakespeare will love reading this book, and anyone directing Shakespeare should be required to read it.” — Dan Savage, columnist, “Savage Love,” and author most recently of American Savage
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Sex with Shakespeare
    Here's Much to Do with Pain, but More with Love
    By Jillian Keenan
    "Do you think I meant country matters?"

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post

Or even easier watch “Kiss me, Kate”.

Incredible Member

I watched The Taming of the Shrew, the very first Shakespeare talkie, and will review with my buddy tonight.

Meantime, I've started King Lear!

Yes, writer/director Nicholas Meyer is a Shakespeare nut, hence all the references in that film, including the title. He's also a Sherlock Holmes fan, and made his name by writing a Holmes novel, The Seven Per-Cent Solution, and getting an Oscar nomination for writing the screen adaptation, hence why Spock also references Holmes in that film.

You might enjoy this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare_and_Star_Trek
    According to an interview, Patrick Stewart compared his abusive and controlling father to MacBeth. There was a time that he was dressed as MacBeth for a play. When he was getting ready in the dressing room, he stared at his reflection dressed as MacBeth in the mirror. He saw his own father in the mirror even though his father never wore a beard.
    Last edited by Zauriel; 02-15-2023 at 02:39 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

For those who don't read the Books: What Have You Been Reading? thread here, I posted a few weeks ago about the Harry Turtledove alternate-universe novel Ruled Britannia. Since Shakespeare is the central figure, it includes just about every famous quote from his plays that you could think of within the book.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

I just finished King Lear! A couple of questions, though.

I read somewhere that King Lear is visible on Khan's shelf in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, as a nod to the similarities the movie holds with the play. Uh....What similarities? I see nothing in common between these two stories.

I also just watched the Legends of Tomorrow episode Romeo v. Juliet: Dawn of Justness, which is full of Shakespeare stuff. In it, one of the characters says "You know King Lear is a tragic figure whose inability to accept change leads to his downfall." Again, I don't see that at all. Lear's folly seems to be his need for his daughter's praise, and shunning one who doesn't give him enough: Not an inability to accept change.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, without spoiling it for others here, you're not exactly recalling it correctly.
    I just watched the 1935 film version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and it turns out I was remembering it quite correctly! Demetrius, at least, is still, at the end of the play, a total victim of mind control! The only reason he "loves" Helena at the end, and the play's conflict is thus wrapped up, is due to this!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I just watched the 1935 film version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and it turns out I was remembering it quite correctly! Demetrius, at least, is still, at the end of the play, a total victim of mind control! The only reason he "loves" Helena at the end, and the play's conflict is thus wrapped up, is due to this!
    Except you said they were all under the influence at the end of the play, which wasn't the case.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?