All-New Member

Default How The Authority be introduced and used in The New DCU?

James Gunn announced last week the new DC Universe for their next multi-media shared universe, and one of the surprise announcements were the introduction of The Authority being brought in.

I'm interested in this and it was kind of a cool subversion to hear this being first. Sure I hope the JSA is the DCU's first Superhero team in backstory, but The Authority being formed before the Justice League, is pretty cool and I'm curious.

How do you think The Authority will be introduced and used in the Gunn-Safran DC Universe? Me personally, I think it's going to lead to the formation of The Justice League in a VS film that will knock The Authority off their pedestal.

The Authority - Book One-347.jpg
    Last edited by NRE; 02-06-2023 at 08:58 PM.

I think they should represent the Elite (who were Authority knockoffs to a degree, anyways) and serve as frenemies to Superman, as well as the justification for why his way of doing things is the right way. Like Gunn stated about Superman (paraphrasing here), it's about being kind in a world that doesn't embrace kindness. The Authority are the perfect agents of that world.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

My guess would be the Authority is going to monitor Superman.

I love the original run of the Authority but I do not think this will work. (hope I am wrong). I don't see how an adaption faithful to the Warren Ellis run can work in a world with Superman, Batman, Etc without them getting watered down into something we have seen them try to do a few times in the DC comics since the New 52 with Stormwatch or Superman and the Authority. Just use the Elite but don't water the original concept down to the point where it is basically the Elite anyway.

I would love a well done Authority movie...but make it an Elseworlds.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by NRE View Post
    James Gunn announced last week the new DC Universe for their next multi-media shared universe, and one of the surprise announcements were the introduction of The Authority being brought in.

I'm interested in this and it was kind of a cool subversion to hear this being first. Sure I hope the JSA is the DCU's first Superhero team in backstory, but The Authority being formed before the Justice League, is pretty cool and I'm curious.

How do you think The Authority will be introduced and used in the Gunn-Safran DC Universe? Me personally, I think it's going to lead to the formation of The Justice League in a VS film that will knock The Authority off their pedestal.

The Authority - Book One-347.jpg
    They would be the successors of the JSA but predecessors to the league.

All-New Member

I agree. I think The Authority will go a much darker path that will prompt the formation of the League, to combat The Authority and their rise of taking over the world, as in the comics of the WildStorm imprint, they took over America.