Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default New 52 WW Tops CBR's "10 DC Comics Everyone Seems To Love Or Despise"

https://www.cbr.com/dc-polarizing-co...-much-too-long

How people feel about New 52 Wonder Woman is going to be based on how much of Wonder Woman they've read in the past. Brian Azzarello's reboot of Wonder Woman's mythology will seem like a great comic to those who never read the Amazon before. Azzarello is a fantastic writer, after all. He just...wrote a world that doesn't feel like Wonder Woman's.

Long-time fans of Wonder Woman might feel insulted by many of the changes they made, though. The Amazons being changed into monsters who are willing to sell their children for weapons is problematic enough. It's a bit more annoying though that suddenly Diana was made into Zeus's daughter, and the goddess of war, which is everything Diana stands against.

Incredible Member

Yup. That pretty much says it all.

It would be one thing if it was treated as an alternative version of WW...but now Daddy Zeus is still canon and that does not sit right.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Yup. That pretty much says it all.

It would be one thing if it was treated as an alternative version of WW...but now Daddy Zeus is still canon and that does not sit right.
    It does not sit right AT ALL.

Hear hear. That post comprises 100% Truth Fibres.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

That New 52 run by Azzarello was a hot sushi restaurant dumpster fire of shock value, toxic masculinity, & debauchery. I hope that it is never revisited in even the smallest of cameos.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 02-08-2023 at 07:01 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

I have to admit that I'm impressed with how well they described the divisiveness.

I quite like some of Azzarello's ideas; and, yes, he is a skilled writer. If nothing else, I give him and co. credit for carrying it their three year plan.

On the other hand, I do wish that they had had a strong editor to say, "No, we're not going there" from time to time. The depiction of the Amazons has to be the worst part for me, even worse than Papa-Zeus.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Azz's WW run is exhibit A in why New 52 should have been AU line.
    Assassinate Putin!

So if you liked Azz's WW then you are not a real fan. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    That is absolutely not true and no Wonder Woman fan should say or believe such.

Who said that? As much as I despised the run, I wouldn't say that all of its fans are not "real". They may not enjoy the traditional aspects of Wonder Woman & her world but a fan is still a fan. You like what you like.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I have to admit that I'm impressed with how well they described the divisiveness.

I quite like some of Azzarello's ideas; and, yes, he is a skilled writer. If nothing else, I give him and co. credit for carrying it their three year plan.

On the other hand, I do wish that they had had a strong editor to say, "No, we're not going there" from time to time. The depiction of the Amazons has to be the worst part for me, even worse than Papa-Zeus.
    The exact opposite was true, in fact. Dan DiDio was 100% on board with Azzarello's vision, believing that Azzarello's version would be the thing to get "more guys" to read Wonder Woman and not see it as a book for "girls and sissies." They weren't exactly wrong. But in order to be right, they had to turn Wonder Woman and her world into all the things misogynists and sexists believe/fear about strong or independent women.

There was some nice art, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Who said that? As much as I despised the run, I wouldn't say that all of its fans are not "real". They may not enjoy the traditional aspects of Wonder Woman & her world but a fan is still a fan. You like what you like.
    Quote in the first post says that you if you liked what Azz did then you likely never read WW before.

Yes. Got a problem with that?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yes. Got a problem with that?
    Yes? Gatekeeping has no place in any fandom.

Quote in the first post says that you if you liked what Azz did then you likely never read WW before.

I think what they're saying is that folks who were new to Wonder Woman with Azzarello didn't have much history with WW to be bothered by Azzarello's changes and writing style with the character. Just curious - have you enjoyed any runs on Wonder Woman since Azzarello left?