Default One-Minute War Part 3 Spoilers/Discussion (Flash 792)

Alright we are back to our regularly scheduled program after the One-Minute War Special, and today we focus on a couple of kid sidekicks. It's the Bart and Wallace episode!

Okay we get a little more then just Bart and Wallace but they are our main focus. Because the Flash family thinks if they can steal a vehicle from the Fraction they can sneak into their fortress that is vibration proof, and given whose names I dropped take a guess as to which one decides to just randomly run off on his own in the face of an alien armada. While that's going on the rest of the Flash Family decides it would be best to establish a base, and thankfully they have the eye scan access of one of the smartest people in the DC universe, Mister Terrific. Just want to stop and say as a Mister Terrific fan I love that he's the resident dc universe genius who can do anything, it's awesome even if he is frozen solid.

While this is going on Bart and Ace get up to Shenanigans and steal a Fraction battery, which is just gone full Matrix because a person is inside. Probably one of the ones captured as seen in the One-Minute War Special. Unfortunately they have a run in with Rachel Grey of Days of future past....I mean Miss Murder. (I know most people would say Batman who laughs but I'm kind of sick of that particular argument plus the hounds remind me of Rachel grey.) Thankfully they manage to get away thanks to Bart, can't mentally track a speedsters moves when he's playing dumb. It's actually interesting that its possible to beat the Fraction so long as you take their tech away because they can't do the same things naturally.

Anyway they manage to get the vehicle, as well as secure an Ace and Bart friendship, when they learn that the Fraction aren't just after the Earth's resources and the Biological Speedsters. Because in the trunk is Superman, Gorilla Grodd, and Captain Atom...be really careful handling that last one. Yeah so I guess the Fraction found metahumans, aliens, and super apes and want to experiment so now not only do they have to avoid capture and stop an alien armada but now they might need to rescue some members of the greater DC universe. No Pressure.

Overall, I'm liking one-minute war. It's got pretty big stakes while also remembering to be fun and exciting. Can't wait to see what happens next.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Didn't much like the Barry/Wally costume situation here. Coloured exactly the same shades of red & yellow, Barry has the V-belt, boots are back to front - no wonder Wally's lost the mask by the end of the issue.

Also, curious that Iris Jr has suited up as Impulse II, but Linda's not in costume, when in the post-Dark Crisis issue it was exactly the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Anyway they manage to get the vehicle, as well as secure an Ace and Bart friendship, when they learn that the Fraction aren't just after the Earth's resources and the Biological Speedsters. Because in the trunk is Superman, Gorilla Grodd, and Captain Atom...be really careful handling that last one. Yeah so I guess the Fraction found metahumans, aliens, and super apes and want to experiment so now not only do they have to avoid capture and stop an alien armada but now they might need to rescue some members of the greater DC universe. No Pressure.
    I've been wondering about Superman (technically, all the Supers) all along here - Action Comics #1050 had Clark basically fly across the universe in seconds after Lex teleported him to a distant star system, a few issues after he & Jon had a quick race to the Vega System & back. As much as I hate overpowering characters to that extent, it's there, it's recent, and he absolutely should be fast enough to act within the OMW timeframe. I presumed they were just going to keep him off-panel in the classic tradition of all the hundreds of Batman stories where he should logically have called the JL in the face of a major threat and Just Didn't. Front-and-centering him like this is an... interesting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Didn't much like the Barry/Wally costume situation here. Coloured exactly the same shades of red & yellow, Barry has the V-belt, boots are back to front - no wonder Wally's lost the mask by the end of the issue.

Also, curious that Iris Jr has suited up as Impulse II, but Linda's not in costume, when in the post-Dark Crisis issue it was exactly the other way around.

I've been wondering about Superman (technically, all the Supers) all along here - Action Comics #1050 had Clark basically fly across the universe in seconds after Lex teleported him to a distant star system, a few issues after he & Jon had a quick race to the Vega System & back. As much as I hate overpowering characters to that extent, it's there, it's recent, and he absolutely should be fast enough to act within the OMW timeframe. I presumed they were just going to keep him off-panel in the classic tradition of all the hundreds of Batman stories where he should logically have called the JL in the face of a major threat and Just Didn't. Front-and-centering him like this is an... interesting choice.
    I legitimately think it doesn't matter how fast Superman is, he's not connected to the Speed force. Even Jai Wally's own kid who doesn't have a full, secure connection is frozen and Linda's only moving because she has pregnancy related Speed Force access. I think it boils down to the fact that the Fraction are using technology that directly taps into the speed force.

In otherwords no speed force, means no moving for you.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Most of the Alpha tier that have flight in space are insanely fast there. Supes has done what you describe there many times such as Infinite Crisis final book. WW has performed similarly even before Hermes was restored to Olympus. These were Pre-Flashturd of course.

Incredible Member

My first thought with Barts don’t think

Yeah, I thought Irey was out of costume that time because she no longer had one, having abandoned the Impulse identity when she saw that Bart had taken it back in Finish Line. She had the costume on a cover (but neither Irey nor Wally suited up in that issue), but in story this is the first time she's worn it in Adams' run. And next issue will probably be the last given that we know she's about to get a new costume and codename.

It is odd that Linda didn't wear her costume.

Who do we think the kid Wallace and Bart saved is?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm loving this title right now. Great last page--I wasn't expecting it either. I get a pre-Flashpoint vibe with Captain Atom. Has he had this look lately? Or even made an appearance lately?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright we are back to our regularly scheduled program after the One-Minute War Special, and today we focus on a couple of kid sidekicks. It's the Bart and Wallace episode!

Okay we get a little more then just Bart and Wallace but they are our main focus. Because the Flash family thinks if they can steal a vehicle from the Fraction they can sneak into their fortress that is vibration proof, and given whose names I dropped take a guess as to which one decides to just randomly run off on his own in the face of an alien armada. While that's going on the rest of the Flash Family decides it would be best to establish a base, and thankfully they have the eye scan access of one of the smartest people in the DC universe, Mister Terrific. Just want to stop and say as a Mister Terrific fan I love that he's the resident dc universe genius who can do anything, it's awesome even if he is frozen solid.

While this is going on Bart and Ace get up to Shenanigans and steal a Fraction battery, which is just gone full Matrix because a person is inside. Probably one of the ones captured as seen in the One-Minute War Special. Unfortunately they have a run in with Rachel Grey of Days of future past....I mean Miss Murder. (I know most people would say Batman who laughs but I'm kind of sick of that particular argument plus the hounds remind me of Rachel grey.) Thankfully they manage to get away thanks to Bart, can't mentally track a speedsters moves when he's playing dumb. It's actually interesting that its possible to beat the Fraction so long as you take their tech away because they can't do the same things naturally.

Overall, I'm liking one-minute war. It's got pretty big stakes while also remembering to be fun and exciting. Can't wait to see what happens next.
    Loved this issue. The guest artist is so-so and they keep forgetting Barry is in the classic suit again, but the writing is great. This issue makes me so glad Bart is back and his dynamic with Ace is a blast.