Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Yes, that is why we have Tromaverse.
    This is really the only correct answer on this thread.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Has no one seen Mel Brooks' The Producers?
    Hehehe ... I wonder if any film/ tv show was ever created for similar reasons.

There was that Fantastic Four movie - it was made just to maintain the copyright. Don't know if they intended it to be bad, but they didn't care if it was good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hehehe ... I wonder if any film/ tv show was ever created for similar reasons.

There was that Fantastic Four movie - it was made just to maintain the copyright. Don't know if they intended it to be bad, but they didn't care if it was good.
    Yes, and the Justice League movie that never came out.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Yes, and the Justice League movie that never came out.
    Ah, and the Wheel of Time "Pilot" that aired on FX at like, 3am.

Some people make "bad on purpose" as a tribute to the old bad movies (usually horror or sci-fi) of days long past.

Retired

I'm sure a lot of shows are made bad on purpose. To make a bad show is a lot cheaper than to make a good show. And if your market is folks that don't care and will watch anything if it's put in front of them, then why waste the effort.

I don't think anyone tries to make a bad movie or show. They make them as good as their resources and talent will allow. Sometimes those things are not enough to make them good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

To take a question that isn't meant to be taken literally seriously, it would be very rare to make something bad on purpose.

There are things that seem to come close.
    Some projects are made by people who don't have the technical skill to pull it off. But it's not bad on purpose.
    There are rare parodies where technical flaws are part of the alleged charm. But it's still meant to be appreciated on that level.
    The most common problem is some cash-grab meant to take advantage of a trend by people who don't understand it. But even they don't want it to be bad, even if they're not willing to invest enough in making it good.
    There are other projects where different people have different ideas about what's going on. But no one involved wants it to be bad, even if the misunderstandings result in mediocrity. It sometimes works out okay (one comment about Succession is that it works because actor Jeremy Strong takes himself so seriously, and others see it as a comedy.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    To take a question that isn't meant to be taken literally seriously, it would be very rare to make something bad on purpose.

There are things that seem to come close.
    Some projects are made by people who don't have the technical skill to pull it off. But it's not bad on purpose.
    There are rare parodies where technical flaws are part of the alleged charm. But it's still meant to be appreciated on that level.
    The most common problem is some cash-grab meant to take advantage of a trend by people who don't understand it. But even they don't want it to be bad, even if they're not willing to invest enough in making it good.
    There are other projects where different people have different ideas about what's going on. But no one involved wants it to be bad, even if the misunderstandings result in mediocrity. It sometimes works out okay (one comment about Succession is that it works because actor Jeremy Strong takes himself so seriously, and others see it as a comedy.)

I dont know. I get the feeling in almost a walking dead way that they are writing characters as stupid as possible in order to move the plot along. IE we need this to happen therefore we need character A to act like a complete moron, for this to happen. So just have him do it. And then next week he will do it again and then next week if we need something to happen we will have another character act like a total moron.

I feel this is a total lazy point of writing. We need X to happen in the show to get to point Y. Therefore we need a bunch of people to act like complete dolts and not actually pay attention or use common sense for this to occur. So lets just do that. Its why I stopped watching Walking Dead. On this show I mentioned its so bad I feel like well the audience is in on it. They just accept it.

Invincible Member

I think more often than not, it's a case of the people involved either being lazy or just not up to the task. Or in a lot of cases thinking some other aspect for the TV show/movie will make up for the weakness in the project.

Having said that...I think I remember seeing a quote by I think Jack Hill ( director of many B-movies and exploitation films) talking about with some studio heads having a discussion about how they could make Blaxploitation films. The discussion turned to what do "they" want ( they meaning black people) and one of the studio heads said something like, "Well, they like to laugh and it shouldn't be too good..."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't think anyone tries to make a bad movie or show. They make them as good as their resources and talent will allow. Sometimes those things are not enough to make them good.
    I feel I made the most out of my full shift today, and better than my average co-workers by metrics, yet still felt lacking at times and I still had to ask to leave one hour early. I can only imagine fandom demands added to that in the entertainment business.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

CW's Batwoman is the knee jerk reaction

Merlin is quite highly rated, but it seems to me very obviously a deliberately naff BBC family drama to ride the wave of goodwill from the Doctor Who revival. It's probably alright for kids.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    CW's Batwoman is the knee jerk reaction
    I'm thinking that Gotham Knights is about to say "hold my beer".
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Merlin is quite highly rated, but it seems to me very obviously a deliberately naff BBC family drama to ride the wave of goodwill from the Doctor Who revival. It's probably alright for kids.

Here it the thing I guess my point is the show was on for 5 seasons. And you are correct it is highly rated. But its not because of the writing. What is actually funny about the show is how ridiculous it is. It sort of has this goofy charming aspect to it that covers up for the lazy of bad writing. Its not a parody. But its almost in that National Treasure tv show vein of well we are not really trying to make sense. We just want the watchers to have a good time. I mean maybe that is a writing style?

Thats sort of like why I asked if they make shows like this on purpose.