Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Do you consider pizza restaurants as 'fast food'?

I was reading an article about fast food chains in the US and it listed pizza restaurants such as Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns among other chains like McDonalds, Wendy's, and KFC.

I guess I'm living in the past when everything (crust included) was made when it was ordered and took about 20 minutes or more to prepare and cook the pizza. I never considered pizza as fast food.

What about you? Do you consider pizza places like Pizza Hut and Dominos as fast food?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I was reading an article about fast food chains in the US and it listed pizza restaurants such as Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns among other chains like McDonalds, Wendy's, and KFC.

I guess I'm living in the past when everything (crust included) was made when it was ordered and took about 20 minutes or more to prepare and cook the pizza. I never considered pizza as fast food.

What about you? Do you consider pizza places like Pizza Hut and Dominos as fast food?
    I wouldn't. A place where one could get slices immediately could qualify, but most pizza restaurants wouldn't for me anyway. I remember a chain called Pizzeria Uno (out of Chicago that had daily lunch deals and those meals were prepared ahead of time and were behind the counted so one could go in, buy one, and walk right out with it without preordering. But this was a rare occurrence and the shop I saw that did this was in a busy Boston business disctrict.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I'm not sure how long Domino's takes to make a pizza from the time you order it, but I guess the chain pizza restaurants with all their set menus, ordering apps, etc. do sort of put them in the same bracket as McDonald's and such.
    (And Pizza Hut, which is part of "Yum! Brands" which also owns KFC and Taco Bell, has had some drive-thru locations.)
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 02-08-2023 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Accidentally called it "TUM Brands".

I don't consider pizza fast food and I don't consider Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns...pizza.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

A true pizzeria, where dough is hand made, crusts made in house, toppings, hand prepped, and real pizza ovens are used, no. Places like Domino's and the ilk, where the pizza is prepped and in and out of the conveyor belt convection oven in less than 5-10 minutes from ordering (unless volume backs up pizzas getting on the conveyor belt they use), yes. Crusts are premade and delivered to the particular store, toppings and cheese are pre-portioned and delivered to them for the most part, and bake time is like 5 minutes where the employees have no discretion on how or how long it is cooked, and they are designed to be out the door as fast as possible once the order is received, yes that is fast food.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    A true pizzeria, where dough is hand made, crusts made in house, toppings, hand prepped, and real pizza ovens are used, no. Places like Domino's and the ilk, where the pizza is prepped and in and out of the conveyor belt convection oven in less than 5-10 minutes from ordering (unless volume backs up pizzas getting on the conveyor belt they use), yes. Crusts are premade and delivered to the particular store, toppings and cheese are pre-portioned and delivered to them for the most part, and bake time is like 5 minutes where the employees have no discretion on how or how long it is cooked, and they are designed to be out the door as fast as possible once the order is received, yes that is fast food.

-M
    Yes, this would be my answer. There's places that are family sit down restaurants and pizzeria where they actually take time to prepare your pizza, so no that wouldn't be fast food. On the other hand there's a place a block from where I live, if I place an order and leave immediately out the door, it's ready in the 10 minutes it takes me to walk there...that's fast food.

Some pizza places have been faster then some of the Mcd and Burger King then I have been to.

I would call them convenience foods more then fast food. An easy way to get a meal delivered to your home and more often then not it is pretty fast. I would say about 35 minutes or so for where I live.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i think i would consider them fast food or at least low enough quality to qualify as it

i hope america cracks fast food sushi at some point. they already have the grocery store servings so shant be long now

A number of places I know of sell Pizza, but only as part of a much larger menu of choices along with have tables and wait staff and so on. In other words, Pizza is not fast food if it is served in an Italian restaurant.

If you get Pizza from a hole in the wall chain store, or frozen, then yeah, that's fast food and the poor quality justifies that designation.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't consider pizza fast food and I don't consider Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns...pizza.
    I couldn't say it better, so I'll just quote and shut up.

Generally, yes.

You could get a slice rather quickly in most of them.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, I'll find out later on because today is....

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    Same for me. Blaze pizza and 700 Degrees I put into fast food, along along with Sbarro's or any other place that does pizza by the slice. Pizza Hut is a middle ground - getting one of thr specialty pies (especially the Super Supreme) takes a little while, but the Personal Pan used to take 5 minutes at lunch hour.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Damn right.

Tell an Italian Dominos is Pizza and will never speak to you again, lol. Go to a real Pizza restaurant in Italy, France or Germany and you know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Damn right.

Tell an Italian Dominos is Pizza and will never speak to you again, lol. Go to a real Pizza restaurant in Italy, France or Germany and you know the difference.
    Or New York, or Philadelphia, or in New Jersey....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!