Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Or New York, or Philadelphia, or in New Jersey....
    Sure...wasn't meant as an insult to America.

Btw, i was in Philly last year and a bit disappointed of the original Philly cheesesteak. But I ve run down the street where Rocky started his training, visited his Restaurant from Rocky 6 and run up the stairs to the live music of Eye of the Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Sure...wasn't meant as an insult to America.

Btw, i was in Philly last year and a bit disappointed of the original Philly cheesesteak. But I ve run down the street where Rocky started his training, visited his Restaurant from Rocky 6 and run up the stairs to the live music of Eye of the Tiger.
    Did you go to Pats or Ginos.

Didn't take it as an insult, just wanted to highlight that there are places in America where we know what real pizza is.
    And in fact Pizza in Italy is very different from the one created in the States at the beginning of the 20th Century.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Did you go to Pats or Ginos.

Didn't take it as an insult, just wanted to highlight that there are places in America where we know what real pizza is.
    And in fact Pizza in Italy is very different from the one created in the States at the beginning of the 20th Century.
    It was Patīs.

Extraordinary Member

It's been so long since I had great pizza. There is nothing but chains where I live, no specialty pizza parlors.

The best pizza my town ever had was Mr. Gatti's. But it closed a few years ago.

Does anyone remember Shakey's Pizza? That's where I first tried pizza as a kid in the 1970s. Man, was it great back then.

Damn right.

Tell an Italian Dominos is Pizza and will never speak to you again, lol. Go to a real Pizza restaurant in Italy, France or Germany and you know the difference.
    Eh, those are inspired by Americans.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ano-to-america

Food writer Ed Levine’s opus on the “State of the Slice” for Serious Eats explains that it was only when service members stationed in Italy came home with a taste for pizza did things change. Ira Nevin, one of the G.I.s who had acquired serious pizza lust was an oven-repairman and designed the first gas-powered pizza oven, which allowed restaurateurs to make pies without relying on the difficult to operate and maintain wood-fired or coal-fired ovens used by old-style pizzerias. All of this led to the first pizza boom in the States, leading to the early pizza chains in the 1950s. From there, the American pie snowballed like a giant mozzarella-covered meatball until we got the cheese-stuffed-crust, buffalo-chicken flavored, dessert-pizza diversity we have today.
    It's a fascinating story.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...was-180971454/

Pizza was considered street food in Naples. American GIs loved it, and used post-war GI bill funds to start pizzerias all over the country. The explanation was that they loved it in Italy, but most of them probably experienced when they came to New York after the war was over (at that point, they are likely to be in a good mood.) American tourists going to Italy in the 50s kept asking for pizza, and eventually the rest of Italy got in on the action, producing decent pizza with top-tier supplies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Eh, those are inspired by Americans.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ano-to-america

It's a fascinating story.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...was-180971454/

Pizza was considered street food in Naples. American GIs loved it, and used post-war GI bill funds to start pizzerias all over the country. The explanation was that they loved it in Italy, but most of them probably experienced when they came to New York after the war was over (at that point, they are likely to be in a good mood.) American tourists going to Italy in the 50s kept asking for pizza, and eventually the rest of Italy got in on the action, producing decent pizza with top-tier supplies.
    It doesn't matter where it originates, it does matter who perfected it.

I would say, the best Pizza I ate was in Italy and Germany.
    Best Burger in the USA.

Im having pizza today Pizza and Star Wars shows on Disney + I am going to start Bad Batch and The Rebels at last.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

I don't consider pizza fast food and I don't consider Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns...pizza.
    OTOH, Little Caesar's is the best pizza out there.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I've only had it at K-Mart stores in the past and I was . . . less than impressed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Are you saying of the chains, or the best pizza period. If the latter, you are insane or suffer from a malady of the taste buds.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It's been so long since I had great pizza. There is nothing but chains where I live, no specialty pizza parlors.

The best pizza my town ever had was Mr. Gatti's. But it closed a few years ago.

Does anyone remember Shakey's Pizza? That's where I first tried pizza as a kid in the 1970s. Man, was it great back then.
    We used to have Shakey's in my area but they are pretty much gone. I remember they would be baking them in front of you and then when they were finished they cut them into slices and set them out on a counter. It was a pizza buffet concept IIRC.

The vast majority of American food is fast food when compared to the eating habits of the rest of the world.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    We used to have Shakey's in my area but they are pretty much gone. I remember they would be baking them in front of you and then when they were finished they cut them into slices and set them out on a counter. It was a pizza buffet concept IIRC.
    We still have one.

That's how they roll still!

Ours bakes it in a conveyer belt oven thingy you can watch, then they cut it up in front of you
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It was Patīs.
    If you ever have a layover in the Philadelphia airport Geno's has a location there in addition to their more famous one. It was also reasonably priced, or very well priced for airport food the last time I went through, which was admittedly 4 or 5 years ago.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It doesn't matter where it originates, it does matter who perfected it.

I would say, the best Pizza I ate was in Italy and Germany.
    Best Burger in the USA.
    These are perfectly valid opinions, although it's got nothing to do with whether pizzerias count as fast food.

One point would be that pizzerias will be quite different, as burger joints are, and the fast moniker won't apply to some.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets