Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

In the 90s, Cable was one of Marvel's highest-selling titles, the same as his variant X-man (Nate Grey).

Gambit was one of Marvel's most popular characters, he's been completely pushed aside.

The Punisher has always been around but he's not the top-seller he once was.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Hank's currently dead. He is constantly referenced though, whenever one of the Wasps or Ant-Man appears.

About the names in the first post, Monica's going to be in The Marvels movie and Wonder Man has a Disney+ show in the works, so both should see a resurgence soon.
    She also has a mini series Monica Rambeau Photon currently running in Marvel. Issue # 3 comes out next week.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    She also has a mini series Monica Rambeau Photon currently running in Marvel. Issue # 3 comes out next week.
    Yep, Monica is definitely getting some love now, since she's been in series here and there for the past few years, from Ultimates to Strike Force to Thunderbolts to her current limited series. She also appears in the MCU, which will make her a known quantity to the public at large.

Also, my understanding is that there's a pitch for a Wonder Man intro into the MCU. Not sure if that was idle chatter or a legit possibility. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

Also, my understanding is that there's a pitch for a Wonder Man intro into the MCU. Not sure if that was idle chatter or a legit possibility. We'll see.
    ?
    WONDER MAN will be a Disney+ series. The lead has been controversially cast with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II ("Watchmen", "Aquaman", "Candy Man").

Marvel Producer Shares First Details On “Wonder Man” Disney+ Show
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Wolverine. He's still a huge name but after Battle of the Atom I've noticed a drastic cool-down of the character which was quite refreshing as I thought he was oversaturated. By de-pushing him I found myself appreciating him more.

Venom. I remember a time when Venom was one of the coolest most popular villains turned anti-heroes in comics. Nowadays he's still a name but with so much that has changed and multiple Spider-folks Venom just doesn't seem to stand out as much as he used to. Maybe it's just me?

Gambit. Much like other characters from the 90s Gambit was one of those super cool heroes everyone loved. It almost feels like a lifetime ago when that was true.

Fantastic Four. Again, still a big name but not as big as it was in the past. I feel like Dr. Doom and Galactus are bigger names then the FF right now. And to those who only view the MCU I bet the Guardians of the Galaxy are a bigger name then them now.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Wolverine. He's still a huge name but after Battle of the Atom I've noticed a drastic cool-down of the character which was quite refreshing as I thought he was oversaturated. By de-pushing him I found myself appreciating him more.

Venom. I remember a time when Venom was one of the coolest most popular villains turned anti-heroes in comics. Nowadays he's still a name but with so much that has changed and multiple Spider-folks Venom just doesn't seem to stand out as much as he used to. Maybe it's just me?

Gambit. Much like other characters from the 90s Gambit was one of those super cool heroes everyone loved. It almost feels like a lifetime ago when that was true.

Fantastic Four. Again, still a big name but not as big as it was in the past. I feel like Dr. Doom and Galactus are bigger names then the FF right now. And to those who only view the MCU I bet the Guardians of the Galaxy are a bigger name then them now.
    I think I'm the only one in the entire world who never liked Gambit.

The FF is a real head scratcher. I think Marvel keeps hoping that the group will eventually catch fire like the X-men did and enjoy this awesome renaissance, but I just don't see it happening in my lifetime. A shame, really.

I always wished that John Byrne's "The Last Galactus Story" would have been about Galactus returning to Earth in the far, far distant future, not finding any surviving remnants of the FF, and using his powers to create a new version of the team, albeit with a different family of characters, for the next cosmos. Nova (Frankie Raye) then goes on to become the mother of that new cosmos with the seeds of that new FF team planted firmly in her conscience.

Luke Cage was a central figure of the Avengers during all the Bendis years. Now he is at best a support character, and mosty useless, as mayor of New York.

Cannonball, while not as popular as the Not New Not Different X-Men, used to be the most successful New Mutant in the 90s. He was a pillar of X-Force, hyped as a future Cyclops. For a reason that is still beyond me, Wells destroyed him in his New Mutants series. Now Sam is in Shi'Ar limbo, only popping up sometimes to follow other character's orders.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

No, I think a lot of older, long term readers like you and me resented him. I hated pretty much everything about him, from his very 90’s look (the long duster coat over body armour), seemingly multiple unrelated powers, weapon accessory, and the way we were constantly told how good looking he was - it was just oversell. I think the reason he stopped being popular is that a lot of the writers at Marvel felt the same way and deliberately sabotaged him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post

Venom is still a very big deal.

I would argue his profile is higher now than before with big movies and Marvel featuring him as the central character in multiple events.

Truthfully I was one of those fans who grew out of Gambit as time went on. I blame the animated series. Once I got into comics and learned about other characters Gambit just seemed less cool as time went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Venom is still a very big deal.

I would argue his profile is higher now than before with big movies and Marvel featuring him as the central character in multiple events.
    It feels like the Venom movies divided his fanbase on whether they are good or not. I know Venom still has a sizeable fanbase and is still around today and used in stories and events but I still don't think he's as big popularity wise as he was in 90s and early 2000s where he was dominate popularity wise. He's a Spider-Man character so he'll always have a place in Marvel though.

A lot of mutant characters depending on the era. The Generation X kids had their own book thad made it to 75 issues and then, with the exception of Jubilee and M, dropped off a cliff after it got cancelled. We only just recently got Synch back in a major role in the X-books after having been dead for decades.

A lot of the New X-Men as well. Again, another teenage team book that had a bit of a fanbase but now most of them are background fodder, with a few exceptions like X-23 and Prodigy.

Definitely Ghost Rider, the Danny Ketch version. He was all over the place and was a hot commodity. Over the years, his popularity dwindled and now can't carry an on-going title for the life of him. To make matters worse, now Robbie Reyes is the one overshadowing both Danny and Johnny.

Deathlok (Michael Collins). Also gained success in the early 90's, but his popularity eventually fell just as GR did. Hasn't had a new on-going or mini series for quite sometime.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Definitely Ghost Rider, the Danny Ketch version. He was all over the place and was a hot commodity. Over the years, his popularity dwindled and now can't carry an on-going title for the life of him. To make matters worse, now Robbie Reyes is the one overshadowing both Danny and Johnny.

Deathlok (Michael Collins). Also gained success in the early 90's, but his popularity eventually fell just as GR did. Hasn't had a new on-going or mini series for quite sometime.
    Danny Ketch is a good one. He too was pretty huge in the early 90s.

Michael Collins doesn't even seem to exist anymore.

Angela. What happened to Angela?

And I thought Conan was slated to be a big deal when they brought him to the present and made him an Avenger. Anything ever come of that?

Wendell Vaughn probably deserves mention as well.

And Captain Marvel, Jr.

Ultimate Member

Angela. What happened to Angela?

And I thought Conan was slated to be a big deal when they brought him to the present and made him an Avenger. Anything ever come of that?

Wendell Vaughn probably deserves mention as well.

And Captain Marvel, Jr.
    I think Conan's rights have been taken from Marvel.

Good call on Quasar.

Angela still appears occasionally in Thor but she isn't doing much anymore.