Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I really like how Flash was handled in this, was true to his character I felt. Wondering how Peter is gonna get his memories back, also is there now two versions of Silk, og 616 Silk traveling the Spider-Verse and new timeline 616 Silk from the altered reality?

I was doing fine at the start and then i got to the part where they made Jameson racist, at that point i stopped completely.

It could've been a lot worse. He did incorrectly assume she was an immigrant. If he was truly being racist though, he'd have probably called her Chinese or Japanese (thinking that all East Asians look the same) rather than Korean. And maybe used some offensive slur like Chinkee (an old derogatory name for Chinese). Instead, he only called her foreign.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't she go through most of the major stuff before that though?

It just totally makes it seem like Peter as Spidey is easily replaceable.
    Well, as I understand it, she did, but with Peter helping her, so, he is not so replaceable after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It could've been a lot worse. He did incorrectly assume she was an immigrant. If he was truly being racist though, he'd have probably called her Chinese or Japanese (thinking that all East Asians look the same) rather than Korean. And maybe used some offensive slur like Chinkee (an old derogatory name for Chinese). Instead, he only called her foreign.
    It could have been a lot worse, but that's still truly racist. Assuming that anyone is foreign because of their physical appearance is racist, no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Racists these days know to be a bit more subtle. Or more often these days racists think that just because they're not being blatantly out and out racist they must be not actually racist at all.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    Well, as I understand it, she did, but with Peter helping her, so, he is not so replaceable after all.
    From the sounds of it it came a lot later after she'd already accomplished a bunch without his help.

Who needs Spider-Man, I guess.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I'll be damned but this was the best Spider-comic of the week IMO - when the spoilers first hit of what the book was supposed to be I was ready to write it off, but I'm glad I didn't. The interaction between Peter and Flash felt pretty organic and it lines perfectly with his character, in that he was a bully but still managed to admire selflessness (like with Spidey himself). Also, now that Bagley isn't forced to draw 30 uninteresting variants of Spider-people per page, it seems he's allowed to have fun again and everything felt more polished and that was a delight to see. Sure, we're gonna be doing the song-and-dance of the all too serious absolute threat of the "end" of the Spider-verse next month, but as its own thing I thought this was a pretty solid What-If.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Has CBR just spoiled the next issue? Or did I miss a preview?

In this article (caution, spoilers from issue 6, to be released next month) they say:

spoilers:
    "Spider-Man #5 and Spider-Man #6 introduced readers to a different version of Peter who seems to come from Silk's universe but has made his way to Earth-616. The series also introduced a new Spiderman (no hypen) named Peter Palmer, who met a quick and unfortunate death at the beginning of Spider-Man #6".
    end of spoilers

WTF?
    Last edited by Marvel Man; 02-17-2023 at 12:45 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    Has CBR just spoiled the next issue? Or did I miss a preview?

In this article (caution, spoilers from issue 6, to be released next month) they say:

spoilers:
    Spider-Man #5 and Spider-Man #6 introduced readers to a different version of Peter who seems to come from Silk's universe but has made his way to Earth-616. The series also introduced a new Spiderman (no hypen) named Peter Palmer, who met a quick and unfortunate death at the beginning of Spider-Man #6.
    end of spoilers

WTF?
    That is some serious lack of discipline there. That said, having read #5 myself, it was actually quite decent, at least as a "What If?"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That is some serious lack of discipline there. That said, having read #5 myself, it was actually quite decent, at least as a "What If?"
    Silk and spidey came from the same reality

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Silk and spidey came from the same reality
    I meant in the sense of, "What if Peter hadn't been bitten by that radioactive spider?" It does seem like things generally worked out better for him in the long run, even if the version of reality where Peter does become Spider-Man will ultimately reassert itself.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

This was good, as far as What If? comics go, there were some things that I had misgivings about (the portrayal of Jonah, Peter being made redundant as Spider-Man, etc.) but the parts with Peter, Flash and Liz did put a smile on my face. Peter working as a scientist was cool too. This was a nice little detour from the madness of the past few issues.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

They are just saying from guessing as it's clearly Peter getting sent to another dimension. Which was clear from us seeing Peter getting stabbed then we see him as a teen and we essentially get a what if in the 616 style but Peter never getting bit. So it's not a change or anything, but essentially a weird pause away from the main story. Now if Peter Palmer does die quickly in the next issue then yes that is a spoiler. But what's really funny is that we got a big hype from Dan about how he had to make so many calls and emails about about a crazy change to Spidey and all it was is a power upgrade

Dan Slott with the clutch-confirm that #8 is, indeed, the start of a new arc.

"To clarify:
    8 is the START of a NEW storyline. Mark Bagley and I will be bringing you a more “grounded” street-level story with some very important personal stakes for Peter Parker/Spider-Man!"

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1627002599269613568

Glad to hear it. Sad if it's gonna be Electro. Mad if it's gonna be "Toast for Personality" Max Dillon, and not Ms. Francine Frye

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Dan Slott with the clutch-confirm that #8 is, indeed, the start of a new arc.

"To clarify:
    8 is the START of a NEW storyline. Mark Bagley and I will be bringing you a more “grounded” street-level story with some very important personal stakes for Peter Parker/Spider-Man!"

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1627002599269613568

Glad to hear it. Sad if it's gonna be Electro. Mad if it's gonna be "Toast for Personality" Max Dillon, and not Ms. Francine Frye
    well to be fair he hasnt been use since his resurrection besides sinister wars
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy