Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Living Battery Armor GREEN LANTERN by Scott Kolins
    Oh yeah. That Alan Scott design was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. It was like a parody of a bad costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Honestly, I always thought this one was a coloring mistake than they later never knew how to fix.

But this one, from Halo, really is one of the worst:

Attachment 129391
    That's not a costume, that's just body paint!

I love how it’s actually in continuity that even Dinah feels this Black Canary costume was terrible.

I recall an issue of Gail’s Birds of Prey were the team was at a mall and Dinah saw something at a toy store that was troubling. Turns out it was Black Canary action figures and they were in that godawful costume. Dinah bought every figure so that she could destroy them

Retired

Iron Mike Grell--that tough guy artist, fresh out of the air force, having done a tour of duty in Saigon--sure did like to draw his characters with as few clothes as possible or as the Comics Code Authority would allow. But one good thing you can say about that, he was an equal opportunity offender. He was not some Édouard Manet drawing the female subject in various states of undress while surrounded by fully clothed males. If his women showed some leg or some cleavage, then by gum, so too would Mike's men. I can't but respect that.

New 52 Beast Boy and Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Iron Mike Grell--that tough guy artist, fresh out of the air force, having done a tour of duty in Saigon--sure did like to draw his characters with as few clothes as possible or as the Comics Code Authority would allow. But one good thing you can say about that, he was an equal opportunity offender. He was not some Édouard Manet drawing the female subject in various states of undress while surrounded by fully clothed males. If his women showed some leg or some cleavage, then by gum, so too would Mike's men. I can't but respect that.
    Without making any assumptions about Grell's thought process, artists have also been enamored with the human form since forever, and there's a reason superheroes used to wear tight costumes that had nothing to do with exploitation or titillation. I also don't recall Grell as an artist who indulged in a lot of cake, despite characters showing skin. (or maybe artists have gone so far since him that my memory of his art is tame by comparison)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    As long as Saturn Girl and Shadow Lass were running around semi-clad back then, teenage me wasn't going to complain.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

This isn't a debate. It's Codpiece from Doom Patrol.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-11-2023 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Without making any assumptions about Grell's thought process, artists have also been enamored with the human form since forever, and there's a reason superheroes used to wear tight costumes that had nothing to do with exploitation or titillation. I also don't recall Grell as an artist who indulged in a lot of cake, despite characters showing skin. (or maybe artists have gone so far since him that my memory of his art is tame by comparison)
    What cheesecake that was around in the '70s, it wasn't as plentiful or as egregious as it later became (probably due to changing demographics).

Boisterously Confused

Yeah, this will always be my answer to any comment about a Legion costume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Cosmic Boy!
    And, representing the entire "Somebody Needed to Call the 1990s An Uber To Get Them Home" community:
    Image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Regarding the WW costumes here: though I'm not an advocate for Diana to wear pants, they are still preferable to Wonder Thong. The latter might be considered sexy, but dignified it's not.
    Thankfully, it's not an either/or proposition. Wonder Woman in shorts need not be a thong and Diana in pants need not be...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Thankfully, it's not an either/or proposition. Wonder Woman in shorts need not be a thong and Diana in pants need not be...
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    This isn't a debate. It's Codpiece from Doom Patrol.

But this one is intentionally ridiculous.

The other ones were actually trying to look good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Regarding the WW costumes here: though I'm not an advocate for Diana to wear pants, they are still preferable to Wonder Thong. The latter might be considered sexy, but dignified it's not.
    WW in pants has never really been a problem for me, though I'll admit I've never seen one I would say is good either. The Wonder Thong is bad but that can be avoided so long as the artist decides to not be a perv.

I singled out the Injustice ones for having the worst elements of pants designs and "armored designs"

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Another that springs to mind.
    Why take an iconic costume & replace it with THIS???
    Oh the machinations of DC Comics....

wonder_woman_costume_5f8e2d8ecab888.01578426.jpg
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.