Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Grayson View Post
    Avoid alternate re-tellings of stories we’ve seen in the main 616 universe. It will inevitably invite comparison and rarely, if ever, live up to the original.
    thats the goal if Marvel calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I agree that Marvel and DC shouldn't stay stuck in the past. At the same time I don't think that the teenage characters have to age into adults to keep them moving forward. Let's say that instead of creating the New X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men kids you simply used their stories for the teen members of the O5, All New All Different, and New Mutants characters. You would still get the new stories from the newer comics, they would just be used for the older characters instead. And you could still create new teen characters to mix into the X-Men to help keep the line fresh. You could have new stories such as a Cyclops/Jean/X-23 love triangle as an example. Or instead of Angel developing a rivalry with Wolverine it could be someone like Warpath or Hellion instead. Magik could hand Limbo off to Pixie or Dani Moonstar instead of giving it to Maddie Pryor. The characters still move forward with new stories without having to age up.

I just don't need the characters to grow older in the comics as I grow older in real life.

I can't comment on Harry Potter because I have not read any of the books or watched any of the movies.
    i found it easier to return to characters that have gotten older especially the under 20 crowd. Unless their adventures are more finite like Digimon so its a preference.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-12-2023 at 02:34 PM.

I wanna see a new take on X-statix. Yes, it was a trainwreck... but it's written as a tragic story, so being a train-wreck in-universe makes sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    The problem with these new takes when done in comics is that they inevitably go against 60 years worth of comics history, some of which is the best comics ever created, and try to cram what was created over decades of storytelling in a few story-arcs.
    It could be argued those "best comics ever created" in regard to the X-men, are mainly those of the early 30 years up until Claremont left around X-men #3 and most from 1992 onward it was sadly very often mediocrity (as in not bad but not very memorable either) with the occasional stand out hit. Which means half of those 60 years is actualy somewhat detrimental rather than beneficial for the comics.

1992-2000 is often regarded as a rather "aimless" time and therefor seldomly referenced or has parts from it re-used. It's no suprise that during 00's it was often labeled as the "bad times".

Morrison's run as popular as it seemingly was with readers at the time, also heavily altered the core X-men into a shape (characterization and direction wise) they weren't known for.

House of M and Decimination, basicly destroyed the foundation of the X-men and enforced a status quo for more than 15 years that actualy goes contrary to how the X-men and their world are remembered by a wider audience.
    Because the general image of the world of the X-men is one where the mutant population is slowly but steadily increasing, hence constant tension with normal humans, rather than them being close to dying out.

The less said about the current state of things the better (especialy considering my bias).

Obviously there were still some good stories everywhere during thse later 30 year period, but they largely failed to become the "modern classics" that would be referenced, remembered or adapted like many stories and moments of the previous 30 years.

Tellingly when adaptations pick from the comics, they mostly do so from those "golden years" of Claremont's run.

The destruction of Genosha and sudden death of 90% of the world's mutant population, Decimination, M-Pox, conflict with the Inhumans and perhaps even the current state of affairs simply don't seem to be particular enticing compared to the first 30 years of the X-men.

And eventually it all devolves into a dystopia setting to set it apart from the original.
    Considering how dystopic the last 23 years of continutiy have been. Wouldn't a new universe actualy need to go full blown utopic to actualy set itself appart from the mainline comics now?

I'd leave "Ultimate" versions of the X-Men to movies, shows and cartoons, which are adapting the source material, not necessarily changing things for the sake of change and taking a longer-range approach to storytelling.
    Fair enough.

Perhaps the more ideal method would be to take the first 30 years as groundwork and then just deviate at the point around 1992 into new direction instead?

Or go...

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm fine with a new Elseworlds. I was fond of the God's and Monsters movie focusing on all new versions of the Justice League.

So I'd do that approach for this Elseworlds and use it to build new talent or reach established authors.

I used UU 2023 as a placeholder name. Plus another poster prefers Miles when he's in the 1610. The UU was my intro to Marvel Comics so I don't mind returning to it but using a new universe is just as fine.

It would be Marvel's graphic novel line similar to DC's Earth One and Future State but better.
    ...with the full Elseworld approach.

I loved Ultimate X-Men pre Ultimatum. I’d like to see more of those stories, the characters we all know but a bit modern and more realistic in terms of how people like that would actually be. Everyone said the UU was filled with jerks, problem is people with power that go through what the X-Men go through usually end up with a hard outer shell.

The post Ultimatum universe had some great stuff also (Miles!) but it never really hooked me like the first few years.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It could be argued those "best comics ever created" in regard to the X-men, are mainly those of the early 30 years up until Claremont left around X-men #3 and most from 1992 onward it was sadly very often mediocrity (as in not bad but not very memorable either) with the occasional stand out hit. Which means half of those 60 years is actualy somewhat detrimental rather than beneficial for the comics.

1992-2000 is often regarded as a rather "aimless" time and therefor seldomly referenced or has parts from it re-used. It's no suprise that during 00's it was often labeled as the "bad times".

Morrison's run as popular as it seemingly was with readers at the time, also heavily altered the core X-men into a shape (characterization and direction wise) they weren't known for.

House of M and Decimination, basicly destroyed the foundation of the X-men and enforced a status quo for more than 15 years that actualy goes contrary to how the X-men and their world are remembered by a wider audience.
    Because the general image of the world of the X-men is one where the mutant population is slowly but steadily increasing, hence constant tension with normal humans, rather than them being close to dying out.

The less said about the current state of things the better (especialy considering my bias).

Obviously there were still some good stories everywhere during thse later 30 year period, but they largely failed to become the "modern classics" that would be referenced, remembered or adapted like many stories and moments of the previous 30 years.

Tellingly when adaptations pick from the comics, they mostly do so from those "golden years" of Claremont's run.

The destruction of Genosha and sudden death of 90% of the world's mutant population, Decimination, M-Pox, conflict with the Inhumans and perhaps even the current state of affairs simply don't seem to be particular enticing compared to the first 30 years of the X-men.

Considering how dystopic the last 23 years of continutiy have been. Wouldn't a new universe actualy need to go full blown utopic to actualy set itself appart from the mainline comics now?

Fair enough.

Perhaps the more ideal method would be to take the first 30 years as groundwork and then just deviate at the point around 1992 into new direction instead?

Or go...

...with the full Elseworld approach.
    I'd probably set it in the Ultimate Universe after a timeskip or in the 23rd century.

Either way I'd do an imprint like Warren Ellis's the Wild Storm.

An initial miniseries to set the status quo and introduce the main players. It will be followed up by spinoff titles focusing on the players in following their own adventures. One of them will be the new X-men. .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-13-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I loved Ultimate X-Men pre Ultimatum. I’d like to see more of those stories, the characters we all know but a bit modern and more realistic in terms of how people like that would actually be. Everyone said the UU was filled with jerks, problem is people with power that go through what the X-Men go through usually end up with a hard outer shell.

The post Ultimatum universe had some great stuff also (Miles!) but it never really hooked me like the first few years.
    Same. Pre-Ultimatum I preferred it to the 616 Marvel U honestly.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”