Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Wonder Woman Continuity

I'm still lost so Wonder Woman is still Zeus daughter or made of clay? Member of the Justice Society so Steve Trevor/Etta Candy in the modern times not the 40's? And Diana found Donna Troy in a fire or was Donna still created as a weapon against Diana... And finally I guess Hippolyta was never Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy1977 View Post
    I'm still lost so Wonder Woman is still Zeus daughter or made of clay? Member of the Justice Society so Steve Trevor/Etta Candy in the modern times not the 40's? And Diana found Donna Troy in a fire or was Donna still created as a weapon against Diana... And finally I guess Hippolyta was never Wonder Woman.
    Hence the problem with current " continuity" of DC where everything happened, instead of just delegating varying continuities to various Earths...lol

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Are you new to DC comics? They threw continuity out when they made the rule that everything is canon. Since they have don't have editors that can do their job, they shoved that canon bs on us.

Basically "Everything is canon nothing matters" is an accurate descriptor of DC's current canon. Writers can just pick and choose whichever story they want from DC's long history even if it is contradictory to what another writer did.

It's what happens due to poor leadership resulting in characters having 2-3 origins and both creators and fans playing tug of war over which version they prefer. The current editorial seem interested in the character, they have pushed Nubia heavily into the spotlight and there are more WW books now than ever but it's going to take a while for all the holes and cracks to be fixed.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Basically "Everything is canon nothing matters" is an accurate descriptor of DC's current canon. Writers can just pick and choose whichever story they want from DC's long history even if it is contradictory to what another writer did.

It's what happens due to poor leadership resulting in characters having 2-3 origins and both creators and fans playing tug of war over which version they prefer. The current editorial seem interested in the character, they have pushed Nubia heavily into the spotlight and there are more WW books now than ever but it's going to take a while for all the holes and cracks to be fixed.
    How many of these books are with Wonder Woman as the main character?

Nubia as a character with her own series is fine with me if the sales can sustain it, yet I absolutely don't care for her as a main character. If you are counting her as a WW book, it's not a book that I will pay money for in a trade. Wonder Woman has to be the main character for me to call it a WW book.

When did this whole "Everything is canon" thing start and, is there any particular title in which the notion was first represented? What does it entail? Does it mean that if the next team after Cloonan & Conrad decide that their WW will be Themysciran clay brought to life and given powers by the Olympian goddesses, they can do it?

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    When did this whole "Everything is canon" thing start and, is there any particular title in which the notion was first represented? What does it entail? Does it mean that if the next team after Cloonan & Conrad decide that their WW will be Themysciran clay brought to life and given powers by the Olympian goddesses, they can do it?
    The answer to your question is YES! The writers can pretty much do what they want since editorial has no power or that they just don't really do their job. It's no wonder that both DC and Marvel comics have been losing fans for the comic medium for a while now. I think they rank 7th and 8th now for copies sold per month.

I don't acknowledge ANY of that yack. As far as I am concerned the continuity took a multiyear pause after the Odyssey concluded.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 02-15-2023 at 11:27 AM.

This is so true. Everything is canon, nothing matters = everything contradicts something else.

Example:
    Donna: adopted as an orphan, raised on Themiscyra joins the Titans, is mindwiped w/ original Titans and forgets this team ever existed.
    THEN she emerges from a vat of goo to battle Diana NEVER HAVING EXISTED BEFORE.
    THEN the Titans reform as the New Titans (but...they were mindwiped and forgot they were ever Titans in the first place...????)
    THEN later the OG Titans reform, having their memories restored. Vat-of-goo Donna, born after the OG Titans broke up, rejoins the team.

So in short, OG Donna served on the OG Titans, but was born afterward from the clay pot.
    Donna is America's sweetheart, except she also wanted to murder Diana as she was created to.
    The New Titans come together after the OG team is mindwiped and never remembers they even were Titans (thus, Cyborg's membership, and apparently Raven must have been 5 years old).

As far as I'm concerned, clay!Donna was a fake, just like the rapists Amazons

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, clay!Donna was a fake, just like the rapists Amazons
    Now if we could just get DC to STOP re-affirming this horrible origin for claypot Donna.
    At least they seem to have stopped specifically referring to the nu52 Amazon lore (rapist Amazons et al).

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Now if we could just get DC to STOP re-affirming this horrible origin for claypot Donna.
    At least they seem to have stopped specifically referring to the nu52 Amazon lore (rapist Amazons et al).
    Rebirth fixed all that, the problem comes in with the World War II business.

Spectacular Member

I always simplify the whole WW publishing history into three Diana.
    Golden age Diana who ascended to somewhere before COIE(and the one who come back to aim Diana during Infinite crisis)
    Silver age Diana who killed by anti monitor during COIE.
    Post crisis Diana who go through all story from 87 to present.
    Everything is canon now so Hippolyta was wonder woman is also canon.

Basically, Rebirth is her current canon.

But after Dark Metal (?) or whatever all the borders between continuities became undone, Diana met her Golden Age self and so 'everything is canon'. In Infinite Frontier, characters mention that their memories are returning and it will take a while before everything settles in. The most recent runs refers to Diana being born of clay, Worlds Finest also refers to her as being born from clay and even Historia (which is not canon but is considered to be by many fans) also refers to the clay origin.

I suspect WW's origin is going to depend on what they do with her in adaptations. So we better pray that Gunn uses the clay origin in Paradise Lost.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hkgkindaichi View Post
    I always simplify the whole WW publishing history into three Diana.
    Golden age Diana who ascended to somewhere before COIE(and the one who come back to aim Diana during Infinite crisis)
    Silver age Diana who killed by anti monitor during COIE.
    Post crisis Diana who go through all story from 87 to present.
    Everything is canon now so Hippolyta was wonder woman is also canon.
    Yeah, this is pretty much how I see it.

Except, I think the idea was that the Silver Age Diana, after getting hit by the Anti-Monitor's blast, was 'reverted' back to her clay form, with her timeline being wound back, and this is what set the stage for the Post-COIE version.

I actually wouldn't mind them using some version of this to explain the transition from the Golden Age/JSA Diana to modern Diana in the current version. Have her get killed and reverted to clay, and then 'reborn' as the modern version.

Basically, Rebirth is her current canon.

But after Dark Metal (?) or whatever all the borders between continuities became undone, Diana met her Golden Age self and so 'everything is canon'. In Infinite Frontier, characters mention that their memories are returning and it will take a while before everything settles in. The most recent runs refers to Diana being born of clay, Worlds Finest also refers to her as being born from clay and even Historia (which is not canon but is considered to be by many fans) also refers to the clay origin.

I suspect WW's origin is going to depend on what they do with her in adaptations. So we better pray that Gunn uses the clay origin in Paradise Lost.
    I think what Gunn does depends on whether Gadot agrees to return for a third solo film, and potentially a future JL movie. But yeah, I see them going to the clay origin if Diana gets recast/rebooted.