Mighty Member

Default Legion of Super-heroes respect thread 2023

Since legion of Super-Heroes stared of as a Superman spin-off let's give some love to this underrated team from Dc.

Let hope for they returning soon.
    Long Live the Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

026_001.jpg

I liked it when they met Bugs Bunny.

For what it's worth, I still loved it when Superboy was a member.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Long live the Legion! The LOSH belong firmly in Superman's mythos and backstory. This was such an incredible addition to Superman's lore. It adds some thematic heft to the whole "Man of Tomorrow" moniker. The Legion always works best when Superman is involved.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think this thread is actually one of the most contentious Superman topics but I am 100% team Superboy ( Kal El Clark Kent) Superboy and the Legion. They are definitely strong enough to be their own thing, but just like Kandor or the Phantom Zone, the Legion and time travel are parts of the Superman journey. I see echoes of Superboy and the Legion in the X Men and Avengers. Days of Future Past even reminds me of Superman and the Adult Legion right around the Death of Ferro Lad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I think this thread is actually one of the most contentious Superman topics but I am 100% team Superboy ( Kal El Clark Kent) Superboy and the Legion. They are definitely strong enough to be their own thing, but just like Kandor or the Phantom Zone, the Legion and time travel are parts of the Superman journey. I see echoes of Superboy and the Legion in the X Men and Avengers. Days of Future Past even reminds me of Superman and the Adult Legion right around the Death of Ferro Lad.
    I liked the old school 'inspired by the legend of Superman' idea in the classic version of the Legion, but also was intrigued by how Smallville mixed it up by having the Legion be ready to kill Brainiac until Clark talked them out of it. An already established Legion developing it's code against killing after meeting Clark was a neat twist on the original story, I thought.

I also liked how Clark's first real regular 'super-friends' were the Legion, long before the League, and could be thought to at least be part of the reason why he grew up so well-adjusted and never felt alone or alienated, knowing that even if he was mostly growing up among regular folk in Smallville, he had some 'super' peers to share adventures with in the Legion, and a glimpse of a more hopeful future to look forward to.

But that might also be why some modern writers, who *wanted* a more angsty 'angry' young Superman, feeling more alienated and all red-eyed and scary at times, might have wanted to excise the Legion's more upbeat positive influence from his formative years, and have him grow up in a more repressive 'closeted' life, a la the Man of Steel movie.