Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default If superpowers useles...

Randomly,a video short of alan moore just popped into my recommendation.i was wondering.If superpowers are useless by extension Then superheroes are.Wouldn't that mean superman arguably the best of the lot be the best usless person?so,my question is simple.are superman's abilities useless in your opinion.Should clark start restaurant for better use of his powers and be in charge of delivery?The great kryptonian kitchen...
    https://youtube.com/shorts/C8h4CjwmAOA?feature=share
    On side note,This made me also think of a concept with comedy satire of supehero genre with superman being absolutely useless..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Superpowers don't exist and are as useless or useful as a writer makes them.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.39.46 AM.jpg

Clark is pretty handy in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Superpowers don't exist and are as useless or useful as a writer makes them.
    How absurd...i will have you know i have a superpower..i can sleep however i want and whenever i want..
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.39.46 AM.jpg

Clark is pretty handy in the kitchen.
    Order up!!!!

I don't see how anyone could say superpowers are useless, well, Alan Moore not withstanding. He seems to hate everything.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Randomly,a video short of alan moore just popped into my recommendation.i was wondering.If superpowers are useless by extension Then superheroes are.Wouldn't that mean superman arguably the best of the lot be the best usless person?so,my question is simple.are superman's abilities useless in your opinion.Should clark start restaurant for better use of his powers and be in charge of delivery?The great kryptonian kitchen...
    On side note,This made me also think of a concept with comedy satire of supehero genre with superman being absolutely useless..
    Alan Moore is simply another guy with an opinion to me. Just like a broken watch he can be right on occasion. Others, not so much.

In this case, I do not agree with him.

And that's fine.

It's part of a larger video so Mr. Moore might've had more to say in his writing class.

Superpowers are a power fantasy so most powers aren't useful outside of a fight. So that's why superheroes have a life outside of being a hero.

There are series like My Hero Academia and Tiger Bunny that showcase how a society with superpowers could operate. So I don't mind Marvel and DC exploring the idea further.

How absurd...i will have you know i have a superpower..i can sleep however i want and whenever i want..

And still be tired afterwards.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    There are series like My Hero Academia and Tiger Bunny that showcase how a society with superpowers could operate. So I don't mind Marvel and DC exploring the idea further.
    I never even realised that watching my hero because of how normalised superpowers are.You would have who can randomly pop eyes out of his skull and transmit photos be doing guard duty or something.

But,still though on average my hero has wayyy wackier abilities compared to dc or marvel.Sure,you have your arm fall off boy or boomerang man or polkadot man.but, that's about it.superpowers at dc and marvel have become generic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Alan Moore is simply another guy with an opinion to me. Just like a broken watch he can be right on occasion. Others, not so much.

In this case, I do not agree with him.

And that's fine.
    Sure..but unless you have story(which i genuinely like to read) where superman(clark) get's a job and be productive...aside from punching aliens.You don't have much to counter with.
    (I am sure there might be a tale or two in the imaginary tales of silverage)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    And still be tired afterwards.
    Half sleep is better than none...
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-13-2023 at 09:04 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm with this to a point.

If everyone Superman fights is as powerful as Superman, can fly/leap really far, breathe in space and has an energy projection power, what is the point?

I see it as a power-scaling issue rather than an issue specific to powers.

As you often say yourself Superman is mostly used as a flying brick. Instead of using his powers in an imaginative or innovative ways against new and different foes he have Mongul, Doomsday, Zod, Bizarro and Metallo who each have a gimmick but are still pretty much Superman with a different coat of paint.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm with this to a point.

If everyone Superman fights is as powerful as Superman, can fly/leap really far, breathe in space and has an energy projection power, what is the point?

I see it as a power-scaling issue rather than an issue specific to powers.

As you often say yourself Superman is mostly used as a flying brick. Instead of using his powers in an imaginative or innovative ways against new and different foes he have Mongul, Doomsday, Zod, Bizarro and Metallo who each have a gimmick but are still pretty much Superman with a different coat of paint.
    The question here is not that everyone having superman powers makes superman generic . That's certainly it to certain degree for me. I don't think it powerscaling matter either.but,besides the point ..

Here it's more about,does superpowers like clark add value to society and civilian life?what kinda job would be perfect for a superman that really taps into all his potential other than punching baddies..you know?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

The question here is not that everyone having superman powers makes superman generic . That's certainly it to certain degree for me. I don't think it powerscaling matter either.but,besides the point ..
    I'm sure there is a much larger context and point Moore is making but that's all we get for free.

To me it sounds like he's making a broader point about how does a power affect the person, the character, who posesses the power. Because most comic book heroes are written power-first and character be damned.

There's an interesting question in there about levelling the playing field and seeing if you still have a character.

Here it's more about,does superpowers like clark add value to society and civilian life?what kinda job would be perfect for a superman that really taps into all his potential other than punching baddies..you know?
    Being a reporter is perfect. He can see through any wall, hear any conversation, get access anywhere he wants and couldn't be removed. He can even write really really fast!

DC, in the 80's/90's at least, added to Clark's character that he didn't use powers as a reporter as that'd be cheating and he wanted to achieve it legitimately and for himself (as Clark). Otherwise the question quickly becomes why doesn't Clark expose every single misdeed that happens every day in Metropolis.

There's always the problem that Superman/Clark could easily change the world for the better but DC can't allow that. He has to be restricted to punching aliens because after exposing/collapsing the structure of the entire world to make a fair and equal utopia there's not really anything else to do. Except fight aliens.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm sure there is a much larger context and point Moore is making but that's all we get for free.

To me it sounds like he's making a broader point about how does a power affect the person, the character, who posesses the power. Because most comic book heroes are written power-first and character be damned.

There's an interesting question in there about levelling the playing field and seeing if you still have a character.

Being a reporter is perfect. He can see through any wall, hear any conversation, get access anywhere he wants and couldn't be removed. He can even write really really fast!

DC, in the 80's/90's at least, added to Clark's character that he didn't use powers as a reporter as that'd be cheating and he wanted to achieve it legitimately and for himself (as Clark). Otherwise the question quickly becomes why doesn't Clark expose every single misdeed that happens every day in Metropolis.

There's always the problem that Superman/Clark could easily change the world for the better but DC can't allow that. He has to be restricted to punching aliens because after exposing/collapsing the structure of the entire world to make a fair and equal utopia there's not really anything else to do. Except fight aliens.
    Superman already cheats.He has stolen lois's byline.Not to mention the guy get's sun juice and he gets stronger.When he fights some who doesn't have that kinda magic like a martian or kalibak or dragga, it's already not fair.He already has to punch people below his weight class.It's not like he enjoys a bit of competition either.

Yeah!but,his usp isn't being fully utilised..His strength.Some of the others like heat vision and freeze breath.And the way if the guy's main "talent" ain't being used then he is wasting away..

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Alan Moore tried to explain how superpowers are useless, but explained how superpowers are useful. I'd fucking love a speedster delivering my pizza. Green Lantern would be the best handy ever. Superman could stand atop the fortress of solitude and sing babies to sleep all around the world. Wonder Woman would make a killing in BDS... I mean teaching construction.

Also, Kurt Busiek created the concept of sideliners in Astro City, superpowered individuals using their powers in everyday life.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Jerry Siegel had Clark boots to the ground and it's exciting to read.