Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Since I've got nothing better to do this evening, I might as well give my theory as to this supposed "most shocking, heartbreaking moment in Amazing Spider-Man in the last 50 years" might be. Considering what (little) we know already, I'm guessing the story comprising of ASM #21 to #26 will not only do a series of flashbacks showing "What Did Peter Do?" but also take place during the present. And my crazy goes like this:

Basically, Spider-Man battled Wayeb--the Mayan Trickster God from that one BND story wells wrote--in a small suburb of Pennsylvania, probably the same town where Gayle and her kids lived, which gives a reason for why MJ is also there. In any case, during the fight, Peter used some science stuff on Wayeb and caused some sort of chain-reaction, resulting in not only Wayeb being seemingly vaporized but also that entire town in Pennsylvania. That's what the giant crater might be in the opening prologue of ASM #1, and of course Peter is screaming because he thought he killed MJ and the entire town in the process.

However, it turns out the town wasn't destroyed but wound up in Xibalba--the Mayan Underworld. Basically, the town got WandaVisioned. Thus while Peter was desperately trying to get help to free MJ and the other townsfolk from this pocket dimension, MJ and the rest of the townsfolk had to wait it out. Moreover, time ran differently in Xibalba than it does in our world. So while it took Peter six months to try and free MJ and the town from this pocket dimension (including stealing from the Fantastic Four, getting help from Norman Osborn, building a new suit, etc.), the equivalent of six years passed. During that time, MJ met Paul, who said he was there in that town from New York on a business trip. He's also the one who came up with the Slot Device that MJ wears, which she used to protect the other townsfolk from attacks by Xibalban demons. She also discovered she was pregnant, and since Peter was the only guy she had been with, she naturally assumed he was the father. In any event, she gave birth to twins, a boy and girl. She also, during that time, fell in love and married Paul. And although MJ misses Peter, she feels content with her new life. That is when Peter finally frees her and the residents of that Pennsylvania town, but of course, it's already too late. Since from Peter's perspective it's only been six months instead of six years, he can't fathom how MJ wound up with some other guy and has kids---especially she hasn't actually aged six years. His stalking her is an attempt to try and explain what happened but, of course, she doesn't want to hear it and neither, of course, does Paul. And of course, MJ doesn't want to tell Peter that he's the biological father of her kids since her kids regard Paul as their dad.

But just when Peter seems finally ready to move on, Wayeb returns. Having been dematerialized after his fight with Spider-Man, Wayeb has spent that time trying to reconstitute himself. And that's when we get the next big twist: the kids are also an aspect of Wayeb. Basically some of aspect of Wayeb's power got imprinted onto her and, along with her desire for Peter, resulted her giving "birth" to "their children." Now Wayeb wants them "back" so he can become whole again. The "tragic heartbreak" is that MJ loses "her kids" and Paul also dies trying to save them. Naturally, Peter feels guilty about all of this because, even though the kids weren't "real," they were real to MJ, and she still lost a husband.

Could be wrong about all this, of course, but that's what I'm guessing.
    Seems on par with where we are expecting this story to go. I think you packaged it quite neatly.

A story like this is what I am expecting and dreading. It will be a big hit for me in terms of MJ. I just can’t get behind all the crap since Beyond and future implications of such a story. It doesn’t make it ok, it doesn’t work even if it will be reconned. I have seen many lows for MJ but for me this will probably be the straw that breaks the camels back. In terms of emotional investment in a character I have liked MJ since I was a young boy who figured out where the comics were in the store. But as with any character that bond isn’t forever and unconditional. I am preparing myself to cut ties with MJ, OMD was a huge hit, so was Slotts run, Spencer sort of brought me back but I doubt I will be here after Wells big reveal.
    Last edited by Malachi; 02-15-2023 at 07:30 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Seems on par with where we are expecting this story to go. I think you packaged it quite neatly.

A story like this is what I am expecting and dreading. It will be a big hit for me in terms of MJ. I just can’t get behind all the crap since Beyond and future implications of such a story. It doesn’t make it ok, it doesn’t work even if it will be reconned. I have seen many lows for MJ but for me this will probably be the straw that breaks the camels back. In terms of emotional investment in a character I have liked MJ since I was a young boy who figured out where the comics were in the store. But as with any character that bond isn’t forever and unconditional. I am preparing myself to cut ties with MJ, OMD was a huge hit, so was Slotts run, Spencer sort of brought me back but I doubt I will be here after Wells big reveal.
    I mean Wells is the last BND writer that will every be on the book and after that we'll be getting more pro MJ writers and this is also all speculation and I can see this whole thing being swept under the rug soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    I mean Wells is the last BND writer that will every be on the book and after that we'll be getting more pro MJ writers and this is also all speculation and I can see this whole thing being swept under the rug soon enough
    what are you basing this on?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    what are you basing this on?
    Intuition and hope as evident with valentines video they do see as Peter and MJ as the 'it' couple. We're just stuck with a few writers who don't

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Since I've got nothing better to do this evening, I might as well give my theory as to this supposed "most shocking, heartbreaking moment in Amazing Spider-Man in the last 50 years" might be. Considering what (little) we know already, I'm guessing the story comprising of ASM #21 to #26 will not only do a series of flashbacks showing "What Did Peter Do?" but also take place during the present. And my crazy goes like this:

Basically, Spider-Man battled Wayeb--the Mayan Trickster God from that one BND story wells wrote--in a small suburb of Pennsylvania, probably the same town where Gayle and her kids lived, which gives a reason for why MJ is also there. In any case, during the fight, Peter used some science stuff on Wayeb and caused some sort of chain-reaction, resulting in not only Wayeb being seemingly vaporized but also that entire town in Pennsylvania. That's what the giant crater might be in the opening prologue of ASM #1, and of course Peter is screaming because he thought he killed MJ and the entire town in the process.

However, it turns out the town wasn't destroyed but wound up in Xibalba--the Mayan Underworld. Basically, the town got WandaVisioned. Thus while Peter was desperately trying to get help to free MJ and the other townsfolk from this pocket dimension, MJ and the rest of the townsfolk had to wait it out. Moreover, time ran differently in Xibalba than it does in our world. So while it took Peter six months to try and free MJ and the town from this pocket dimension (including stealing from the Fantastic Four, getting help from Norman Osborn, building a new suit, etc.), the equivalent of six years passed. During that time, MJ met Paul, who said he was there in that town from New York on a business trip. He's also the one who came up with the Slot Device that MJ wears, which she used to protect the other townsfolk from attacks by Xibalban demons. She also discovered she was pregnant, and since Peter was the only guy she had been with, she naturally assumed he was the father. In any event, she gave birth to twins, a boy and girl. She also, during that time, fell in love and married Paul. And although MJ misses Peter, she feels content with her new life. That is when Peter finally frees her and the residents of that Pennsylvania town, but of course, it's already too late. Since from Peter's perspective it's only been six months instead of six years, he can't fathom how MJ wound up with some other guy and has kids---especially she hasn't actually aged six years. His stalking her is an attempt to try and explain what happened but, of course, she doesn't want to hear it and neither, of course, does Paul. And of course, MJ doesn't want to tell Peter that he's the biological father of her kids since her kids regard Paul as their dad.

But just when Peter seems finally ready to move on, Wayeb returns. Having been dematerialized after his fight with Spider-Man, Wayeb has spent that time trying to reconstitute himself. And that's when we get the next big twist: the kids are also an aspect of Wayeb. Basically some of aspect of Wayeb's power got imprinted onto her and, along with her desire for Peter, resulted her giving "birth" to "their children." Now Wayeb wants them "back" so he can become whole again. The "tragic heartbreak" is that MJ loses "her kids" and Paul also dies trying to save them. Naturally, Peter feels guilty about all of this because, even though the kids weren't "real," they were real to MJ, and she still lost a husband.

Could be wrong about all this, of course, but that's what I'm guessing.
    This is something I wrote on the Mary Jane thread a few days ago, but it didn't get any response. I'll cut and paste it here since it's similar to the theory above:

This is where my thinking has been going as well since the latest piece of trash issue came out and we found out she's married. Dan Slott has said that he never bothered to put Peter and Mary Jane back together because it has to lead to a what comes next situation: If they can be together, why can't they be married? Slott is a hack of course, so I give him no credit for coming up with this idea--rather I think this what editorial told him and he just repeated it like the yes man he is. But I think after Spenser's "unbreakable" splash page, the editorial office was thinking they were at the "what next?' question and had/have no desire to undo OMD. Spenser got a close anyone to addressing it, and in the end they pulled back on it. So I think the idea became how do we tear them apart and drive a stake into fans who want the marriage back? Let's ruin Mary Jane's character so badly fans won't even want her and Peter back together.

So I think what we're going to get is a story where Mary Jane is stuck in some other dimension where time moves slower, she gives up on Peter coming to get her and moves on. Maybe she even blames him, just like they made her do in OMIT. She meets someone else, gets married, has kids, and lives another life. As for why she looks the same age when she comes back, hey they don't have to explain it, it's magic! And despite everyone thinking this will be undone, the fact remains ALL THIS HAPPENED! No matter what story comes next, in continuity Mary Jane got married to someone else and had kids!!!

So now Spidey editorial can look at Peter/MJ marriage fans and taunt them: "I thought you guys loved marriage so much? Do you want to break up a marriage now? Do you like Peter as home wreaker? How about as a stalker? Hey, you want us to kill some kids now?"

That's how it feels to me. I don't think Marvel has any interest in bringing back the marriage and I think they would happily give us a story that goes in the other direction and makes marriage fans give up hope. It's been 15 years since OMD and Marvel has never given any signal that they aren't happy with that storyline and what it did to the comic and the characters. I know Spenser put them back together and that Joe Quesada signed off on it. But I think Joe knew he was leaving Marvel, or at the very least doesn't want to be remembered as the principal person behind ending the marriage. (even though he was) Both Spenser and Joe are gone and I think editorial wants to put the Peter/MJ relationship to rest.

By the way, the town in Pennsylvania that appears in issue 1 in York. I live in York and there's no giant crater here...

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Mercury View Post

By the way, the town in Pennsylvania that appears in issue 1 in York. I live in York and there's no giant crater here...
    Next you'll tell me there's no Spider-Man either.

Amazing Member

The only way it could be "the most shocking issues in 50 years" is if they actually publish a story worth reading

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    The only way it could be "the most shocking issues in 50 years" is if they actually publish a story worth reading
    Not necessarily Wells can come up with a bad story designed to shock and anger people (see Shed). Kindred and the number of times they killed Peter shocked me ( not to mention OMD and Sins Past). None of which were shocking in a good way.

It's going to be revealed that Ben was Mephisto all along; he gave Peter and May false memories of him existing, then "died" in a "tragic accident" to instill that responsibility message into him, knowing how much torture and grief it will ultimately put him through. Peter did become a hero, but he also caused a lot of damage. And since his daughter won't ever be born, Mephisto's biggest threat is out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    It's going to be revealed that Ben was Mephisto all along; he gave Peter and May false memories of him existing, then "died" in a "tragic accident" to instill that responsibility message into him, knowing how much torture and grief it will ultimately put him through. Peter did become a hero, but he also caused a lot of damage. And since his daughter won't ever be born, Mephisto's biggest threat is out of the way.
    One can only hope. My theories in order are 1: Mysterio. 2: A nightmare of Peter’s

Fantastic Member

Have they explained what happened with Mary Jane after the X Men ball? Did Peter have to make another deal to bring Mary Jane back? Did Moira succeed in killing MJ?
    --jthree

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Have they explained what happened with Mary Jane after the X Men ball? Did Peter have to make another deal to bring Mary Jane back? Did Moira succeed in killing MJ?
    --jthree
    no they didn't kill MJ how far back are you?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

It turns out that Peter and Mary Jane actually switched bodies six months ago, so the weirdo we've been following around all this time is actually Mary Jane! How does this make sense at all? I dunno!

Spectacular Member

So would this be a replay of what happened in the West Coast Avengers with Scarlet Witch and her children...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, you can say the same for stuff like Dark Web and Spider-Verse. That ship has kind of sailed.
    It's a bit different when it's a story meant to shake up the status quo.

Spider-Verse and Dark Web were big adventures, but it's not like major characters got killed off. Spider-Verse ended up being big, because some new characters were popular, not because Peter Parker got a new job or a long-standing supporting cast member died.

A comparison might be One More Day, but Marlowe did a Faust story in 1592, so that kind of stuff has been mainstream for centuries.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets