Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    In my opinion, the Dodgers' drunken sailor spending spree this winter was the end result of embarrassment over early round playoff flameouts to lesser teams the last two years (San Diego in 2022, Arizona last season). So they decided to act like the Yankees from a generation ago, snatch up any superstars that strike their fancy and try to buy their way to a World Series title. Whether or not that strategy will work while Dave Roberts is still the manager is anybody's guess, heaven only knows what L.A. will do if they come up short yet against this season.
    Entirely true. If they don't win the whole thing, it will be judged as a massive failure by fans who haven't won a real WS in decades, (I don't count the COVID shortened season). Dodger fans are tired of mostly winning the division every year but never winning the Series. I don't think much of Roberts' chances if they don't win it this year.

Extraordinary Member

Shohei's interpreter has been fired for committing "massive theft" from the Dodger star. Amounting to the "millions" of dollars to fuel a gambling habit. He was also Shohei's close personal friend. Pretty huge betrayal.

Reds lose another starter, potentially for a long period. 2B Matt McLain is getting an MRI on his shoulder and will likely miss time. They've also lost CF TJ Friedl with a broken wrist (which even if he comes back he won't be 100% hitting until next season as wrist injuries take at least a year before they fully heal (every MLB hitter I've seen with a broken wrist that came back lacked power and hard hit balls during the season they came back). They also lost 3B Noelvi Marte for 80 games for a PED suspension. This looked like a promising season for the Reds where their rebuild could finally reach fruition and they could contend for the division, but with 1/3 of their line up being unavailable, I don't think it's going to happen this season. So cue up another typical Reds season.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Shohei's interpreter has been fired for committing "massive theft" from the Dodger star. Amounting to the "millions" of dollars to fuel a gambling habit. He was also Shohei's close personal friend. Pretty huge betrayal.
    More proof that friends you had before you had money are just as bad as the ones who want to be your friends after you get the money.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Heard about that this morning. Yeah, that was a huge stab in the back.

Meanwhile, Michael Lorenzen, a trade dealine pickup from Detroit who pitched the 14th no-hitter in Phillies history last season signed a one year deal with Texas after having by cut loose by my squad. While Lorenzen's early August no-no against Washington before the fans here in Philly was amazing, he pretty much sucked after that and was never even remotely effective the rest of the season and through the playoffs, making his release a done deal.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Social media is all over the place regarding the Shohei mess. Skeptics, haters and conspiracy nuts are now saying it was Ohtani who did all the gambling and had his friend/interpreter take the blame. Look, I'm as cynical as they come, but I'm doubtful about that, hell, this wouldn't be the first time a wealthy superstar athlete was taken to the cleaners by so-called friends who turned out to be greedy leeches, and I suspect that was the case here. In any event, I think there should be some sort of investigation to find out just what went on. Will that happen? Now I'm donning the tin foil hat and saying it won't, I suspect a jittery Rob Manfred doesn't want the grief, so he'll just look the other way and hope it all goes away.

Meanwhile, on the field, Yoshinobu Yamamoto's first start for the Dodgers was imminently forgettable as he lasted only one inning, giving up five runs on four hits in a 15-11 loss to the Fathers. Does that mean anything in the long run? Probably not, but still, YIKES!

Extraordinary Member

Well, he did also have a nearly 9.00 ERA in Spring training. At the least, there are some nervous people in Dodger town right about now. As for the Shohei thing, I take him for what he seems, a guy who only does baseball and video games. A bit naive about trusting those close to him, and a guy in a foreign land whose language he doesn't speak well enough to be confident enough to use it in public. Vulnerable to being used and robbed.

MLB is opening an investigation into the Shohei situation, and all I'll say is hold on to your butts cause of all the pro sports no league is harsher on gambling infractions than MLB

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    MLB is opening an investigation into the Shohei situation, and all I'll say is hold on to your butts cause of all the pro sports no league is harsher on gambling infractions than MLB
    Hopefully, it's only the translator and the bookie, not Shohei. If it is, MLB is really in trouble with it's top star involved.

It's 4 million in debt to bookies. Count me as one of those who is skeptical that it was only the interpreter gambling.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's 4 million in debt to bookies. Count me as one of those who is skeptical that it was only the interpreter gambling.
    I guess we'll all see. But again, for the sake of baseball, I hope Shohei didn't gamble. This is the last thing the game needs. As a side note, I've been appalled by the close kissing MLB and the sundry gambling sites have had; thinking among other thoughts that it would lead to problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yeah I’d like to extend the benefit of a doubt but it’s very eyebrow raising, Pete Rose should be following this case VERY intently, potentially with lawyers at the ready

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I’d like to extend the benefit of a doubt but it’s very eyebrow raising, Pete Rose should be following this case VERY intently, potentially with lawyers at the ready
    OTOH, his crew did apparently ask for an investigation. Who knows though. There are certainly questions.

This case is very different then the Pete Rose case. Pete Bet not only on Baseball but on the Reds while he was a player.manager. So far it seems that the interpreter did not bet on baseball It was mostly soccer games and that Shohei didnt place any bets at all. This information could all change as the investigation goes through.

In the MLB players and employees can gamble they just can not bet on any baseball games nor can they go through an illegal bookie which is Cali is everyone because they have no sports betting there.

I think this was just a case of Shohei trusting the wrong person and giving money to help his best friend out of a massive debt. Even if Shohei did bet the interpreter will never admit to that because he is going to cover his friends ass.

I dont see Shohei getting suspended over this.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-23-2024 at 05:59 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Just learned Shohei will speak to the media tomorrow.