Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As a Phillies fan, I thought this was a decent deal.
    The numbers sound right, against comps.

Ultimate Member

So far the Cardinals front offices big plan to fix their own failures is to sign Lance Lynn for 1 year at 10 million with extra incentives, color me and others not impressed unless he's just there to eat innings.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    So far the Cardinals front offices big plan to fix their own failures is to sign Lance Lynn for 1 year at 10 million with extra incentives, color me and others not impressed unless he's just there to eat innings.
    He's just there to eat innings. Most teams need 7 starters now to get through a season, and a proven innings eater is more valuable than their stats, He doesn't need to be a top of the rotation guy to have value to the staff, just a #3 or #4 starter who regularly goes 6-7 innings and can save the bullpen on his turn in the rotation, pitching just well enough to give the offense a chance to keep up or outscore their opponent rather than shutting down the opponent's line up. 1 year $10 mill for Lynn, who can do that most of the time, is not a bad deal. And better to strike early on guys like that than late, when the market is set by the big name starters available and teams are scrambling to find anybody to fill out their rotation driving up prices and length of contracts to get them signed. It would have likely taken 2 years at around $15 per to sign a guy like Lynn at the tale end of the free agent signing frenzy rather than at the beginning. Big money teams who missed their targets would overspend on guys like him (think Padres, Mets, et. al) at that point.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

The only problem is that he actually has to get some outs for that to happen. He hasn't recently. If they just want someone to put a lot of people on base, or give up home runs, I can do that for them for only half of what he's getting...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    He's just there to eat innings. Most teams need 7 starters now to get through a season, and a proven innings eater is more valuable than their stats, He doesn't need to be a top of the rotation guy to have value to the staff, just a #3 or #4 starter who regularly goes 6-7 innings and can save the bullpen on his turn in the rotation, pitching just well enough to give the offense a chance to keep up or outscore their opponent rather than shutting down the opponent's line up. 1 year $10 mill for Lynn, who can do that most of the time, is not a bad deal. And better to strike early on guys like that than late, when the market is set by the big name starters available and teams are scrambling to find anybody to fill out their rotation driving up prices and length of contracts to get them signed. It would have likely taken 2 years at around $15 per to sign a guy like Lynn at the tale end of the free agent signing frenzy rather than at the beginning. Big money teams who missed their targets would overspend on guys like him (think Padres, Mets, et. al) at that point.

-M
    And what I boldfaced was why my Phillies resigned Aaron Nola instead of chasing after that shiny object that's Blake Snell. While Nola has his up and down moments, he does eat innings consistently while Snell barely goes longer than five since he came from Tampa which favored analytics and the stat that starters aren't as effective the third time through a lineup.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

RIP to Willie Hernandez, Detroit Tigers's great, (and other teams), who died at 69 of heart ailments. He is one of three players to win the MVP, Cy Young, and World Series in the same year. The others were Sandy Koufax in 1963 and Denny McClain in 1968. Hernandez won them in 1984. RIP to him.

Ultimate Member

After the big signing if Lance Lynn our idiotic front office has signed Kyle Gibson from Baltimore. At best he's another innings eater along with Lynn, just a lot more expensive than last years failures, but he's only signed for 1 year so they must think that our AAA guys will be ready afterwards, as of now we Cards need a whole lot more pitching help for starters.

Ultimate Member

Reportedly the Cards are about to sign 34 year old Sonny Gray for 3 years and 75 million, making it at about 25 million a year. Not a fan of the big cost but the Cards needed pitching help badly, leaving us with perhaps the oldest starting rotation in baseball. Guess they're hoping for the AAA guys to be ready soon, or pinning everything on them being ready.

Extraordinary Member

Reportedly the Cards are about to sign 34 year old Sonny Gray for 3 years and 75 million, making it at about 25 million a year. Not a fan of the big cost but the Cards needed pitching help badly, leaving us with perhaps the oldest starting rotation in baseball. Guess they're hoping for the AAA guys to be ready soon, or pinning everything on them being ready.
    Well, I hear the Angels are sniffing around Daniel Vogelback, who is 1,345 years old, weighs 6 tons, hits nearly 0.34, and can manage nearly one home run every 15 seasons. Fortunately, however, he's a gold glove at hanging around in the dugout.

Don't get me wrong, he's my brother's favorite players due to his look, but damn, he's an Angels' prime target if I ever saw one. Only dead players might attract more interest from the Angels...

That said, I love BB and football SO much. Both watching them played by great or even college or high school players, and playing myself in amateur leagues is just heaven for me---I love those games. (I don't have the height for Basketball, only 6 foot, and not nearly the talent to even make a pick-up game fun.

Extraordinary Member

Juan Soto to the Yanks for Higi and about 6 or 7 others. Padres dumping some payroll. Soto trended up last year from his disastrous first season with the Friars, but he's still a rental for the Yanks, with his contract coming up next year. This gives the Yanks an on paper formidable line-up. On paper, unless like Soto in his first Friars season or the Yanks last season decide to simply not hit.

Extraordinary Member

I would say that Dave Roberts had better hope and pray the Dodgers land Shohei, or he might well be toast. The team is irritated with him, fans are leaving the Roberts train at quite a pace as he can't quite deliver a Series that isn't somewhat tainted like their mini Series title of a couple years back. Losing the Shohei race for the Dodgers won't be a feather in his cap, and, as with most things with Roberts, wasn't necessary.

His excuse for trying to blow the Shohei deal? "I tell the truth, and I was asked" is basically it. Well, Dave, you could have done what literally everyone else does, not answer, say "no comment", or do the same thing in a more elliptical was, but that evidently didn't occur to the very experienced manager who's done this time and again before. Now...Roberts isn't the total problem, the GM needs to go and the management team needs to step back more and let whoever their manager---and I would say "new manager" if the Shohei deal falls through---do the managing. But Roberts also has a big problem with managing pitchers, veering from overprotecting them by pulling them when they're working on no-hitters as one example of that, to burning those same pitchers out in a normal regular season by over-using them---his normal pattern. And he plays the lefty-righty game a bit too closely, following the stats rather than the real world condition of players---are they hot, are they cold, are they feeling good that day, that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Juan Soto to the Yanks for Higi and about 6 or 7 others. Padres dumping some payroll. Soto trended up last year from his disastrous first season with the Friars, but he's still a rental for the Yanks, with his contract coming up next year. This gives the Yanks an on paper formidable line-up. On paper, unless like Soto in his first Friars season or the Yanks last season decide to simply not hit.
    For all the hype about how great Soto is, he'll be joining his THIRD team, and he's only 25. Is that symbolic of what baseball has become today, or just a series of circumstances?

Real thing to watch is if he's willing to sign an extension otherwise the Yankees just threw a LOT for a one year rental

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Real thing to watch is if he's willing to sign an extension otherwise the Yankees just threw a LOT for a one year rental
    I think Soto’s agent is Scott Boras, so the Yankees had better be prepared to back a Brink’s truck to his front door, especially if he does have a terrific season.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I think Soto’s agent is Scott Boras, so the Yankees had better be prepared to back a Brink’s truck to his front door, especially if he does have a terrific season.
    Sounds like he's a rental to me.