Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

My feeling is that the Yanks and Boras worked out a guideline for an extension. Of course what kind of year Soto and the Yankees have will have an impact on that.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

So, that's all she wrote for the 2024 season. Oh, wait, no, it just seems that way. But it IS the end of the Shohei sweepstakes according to SI and others. And the winner is:

The Toronto Blue Jays appear to have pulled of the biggest upset in MLB since the last biggest upset in MLB. Yeah, go figure that. Goodbye Dodger manager Dave Roberts! I suspect, if true, it came down to that other guy playing for the Jays who is from Shohei's actual high school. And boatloads of cash. Many of them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My feeling is that the Yanks and Boras worked out a guideline for an extension. Of course what kind of year Soto and the Yankees have will have an impact on that.
    They'd have been fools not to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The Toronto Blue Jays appear to have pulled of the biggest upset in MLB since the last biggest upset in MLB. Yeah, go figure that. Goodbye Dodger manager Dave Roberts! I suspect, if true, it came down to that other guy playing for the Jays who is from Shohei's actual high school. And boatloads of cash. Many of them.
    It's been a fairly ridiculous day but as I type this Ohtani has not signed with anyone, and despite earlier rumor mongering he has not actually been in Toronto today he's been at his home in Southern California.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It's been a fairly ridiculous day but as I type this Ohtani has not signed with anyone, and despite earlier rumor mongering he has not actually been in Toronto today he's been at his home in Southern California.
    Yes, for now I'm inclined to view this as SI's reporter jumping the gun; I have not heard anything from anyone else, or anything more from the reporter either to confirm this. Perhaps Roberts' number at the Dodgers isn't yet up, though I gather his misstatements have gotten him in a bit of hot water with a seemingly very annoyed management. Honestly, if I were Shohei, wanting good weather and a competitive team that will be in a position to challenge for a Series, with a good tax regime and great money, the Braves, and the Rangers would be top of my list.

Ohtani Dodgers 10 years 700 million dollars

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just found out about it. The rich just got richer.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Getting even close to the first Billion Dollar player.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Roberts is happy for sure. That's a bit more than I thought.

70 million dollars a year to play baseball. DAMN!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    70 million dollars a year to play baseball. DAMN!
    Good work if you can find it. This might sound crazy, but $70 million could well be a bargain when you factor in increased TV ratings, merchandise sales which will go through the roof for Shohei’s jersey, not to mention sky levels of popularity, both here and in Japan now that he’s with THE biggest name in baseball behind only the Yankees. Will all that help the Dodgers win a championship? Unknown, but, I guess we’ll find out.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

700 Billion dollars . Wow. Just wow.

What was the highest per year player before Otahni?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What was the highest per year player before Otahni?
    Think it was Scherzer and Verlander 43 and a third mil a year

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Good work if you can find it. This might sound crazy, but $70 million could well be a bargain when you factor in increased TV ratings, merchandise sales which will go through the roof for Shohei’s jersey, not to mention sky levels of popularity, both here and in Japan now that he’s with THE biggest name in baseball behind only the Yankees. Will all that help the Dodgers win a championship? Unknown, but, I guess we’ll find out.
    They need at least one quality starter THIS year, plus a couple of good relievers, then they're basically the champs.

Betts, Otahni, and Freeman. Hard to imagine a much better 123 slot in MLB.