Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman: The Brave and the Bold Anthology Comic

Coming off the spectacular success of Batman – One Bad Day: The Riddler, the Eisner Award-winning team of Tom King and Mitch Gerads reunite for a horrifying four-part retelling of the first bloody clash between The Joker and the Batman. A tale of loathing, lies, and laughter, this may be the most frightening Joker story in a generation.

Superstar artist Dan Mora (Batman/Superman: World’s Finest, Detective Comics) makes his writing debut kicking off a new series of Batman Black & White short stories. In a Gotham City overrun by the cybernetic henchmen of The Joker, the only person who can save us is the mysterious motorcycle-riding, bat-costumed hero of urban legend…

The Justice League may be gone, but its enemies aren’t. Who’ll protect the world from the worst of the worst? Ed Brisson (Batman Incorporated) and Jeff Spokes (Wildstorm 30th Anniversary Special) pick up the story started in the Wildstorm 30th Anniversary Special as Director Bones and his new covert StormWatch team travel the globe on black-ops missions to take super-powered weapons of mass destruction off the board. But this is StormWatch, and as always, not all is as it seems. “Down with the Kings” starts here!

In “The Order of the Black Lamp—Part I,” from writer Christopher Cantwell (Co-creator, Halt and Catch Fire, Briar, Marvel’s Iron Man) and artist Javier Rodríguez (Marvel’s Daredevil, The Defenders), Superman finds a decoder ring with a secret message—“Save Me”—which sends him on a quest to solve a mystery with ties to the Man of Steel’s past.

So another anthology book? Yet it features non-Batman characters? Huh?

I don't think I need to see King depict the first clash between Batman and Joker. I feel like that'll lean into too much of his less than savory aspects as a writer and we've seen that story told to death at this point. Then again it can't be as bad as that wedding chapel encounter.

Dan Mora as a writer? It looks like he's going Kamen Rider with Batman.

StormWatch is back to take over the for the JL?

A Superman story in an anthology book with Batman's name on it...is a choice.

Yeah, that's out of place. You'd think it would be a backup in Superman's main book (I wonder if it was originally commissioned for Action Comics but was moved?)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think I need to see King depict the first clash between Batman and Joker. I feel like that'll lean into too much of his less than savory aspects as a writer and we've seen that story told to death at this point. Then again it can't be as bad as that wedding chapel encounter.
    I liked Joker's wedding story, so I'm down for this King tale. Give it a shot at least. I think King writes Joker pretty darn well like Dixon (even when the story around him might not be as good).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-14-2023 at 02:31 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

So another anthology book? Yet it features non-Batman characters? Huh?

Dan Mora as a writer? It looks like he's going Kamen Rider with Batman.

StormWatch is back to take over the for the JL?

A Superman story in an anthology book with Batman's name on it...is a choice.
    The Stormwatch thing is a continuation of events from the Wildstorm 30th Anniversary. If I recall the team was Rose Wilson, Peacekeeper 0-1, Shado, and some new character named Core, Flint with Mister Bones and some other wildstorm whose name escapes me leading.

Edit: Winter was the other leaders name.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...torm-spoilers/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I liked Joker's wedding story, so I'm down for this King tale. Give it a shot at least. I think King writes Joker pretty darn well like Dixon (even when the story around him might not be as good).
    To me it was just like "let's over-dramatize and overindulge on Batman vs Joker as much as possible." Especially the praying scene and Selina and Joker acting like old pals for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    The Stormwatch thing is a continuation of events from the Wildstorm 30th Anniversary. If I recall the team was Rose Wilson, Peacekeeper 0-1, Shado, and some new character named Core, Flint with Mister Bones and some other wildstorm whose name escapes me leading.

Edit: Winter was the other leaders name.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...torm-spoilers/
    What a random team .

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

To me it was just like "let's over-dramatize and overindulge on Batman vs Joker as much as possible." Especially the praying scene and Selina and Joker acting like old pals for some reason.
    Well, over-dramatizing is kinda Joker's thing, but I hear ya on that. King definitely ruffles feathers with Joker/Selina, but I can somewhat understand his view that basically is: hey, Selina was just a regular ole villain, just like all the rest, and so they probably all were kinda close knit at one point ala Batman (1966). And so King figures that even when the rogues grow apart, go their separate ways, they don't just totally lose that old pal-like familiarity they once had.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-15-2023 at 06:41 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Well, over-dramatizing is kinda Joker's thing, but I hear ya on that. King definitely ruffles feathers with Joker/Selina, but I can somewhat understand his view that basically is: hey, Selina was just a regular ole villain, just like all the rest, and so they probably all were kinda close knit at one point ala Batman (1966). And so King figures that even when the rogues grow apart, go their separate ways, they don't just totally lose that old pal-like familiarity they once had.
    It was just kind of weird. King treated everything in-continuity even Selina's more outlandish Supervillain career but continuity-wise it just didn't jive so well considering how the characters actually acted and how we've seen the characters develop, but that's just me.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Two JOKER stories in one issue?! ***YAWN***

Extraordinary Member

Follow along to DC Comics' Dawn of DC panel from Wondercon
    Now time to chat about Batman: The Brave & The Bold (King and Gerads). Gerads says, "A fun true fact about drawing that first issue was that I drew the whole first [issue] forgetting that it happens in Year One" Gerads then had to redraw the entire issue.

Gerads "I'm obsessed with Batman: The Animated Series," saying that there has never been a better Joker than Mark Hamill. Gerads points out the terrifying nature of Hamill's swing between humor and the mean.

About the collaboration between Gerads and King, Gerads says, "We're always trying to push ourselves and outdo ourselves... Tom and I have a shorthand that has developed over years. We understand each other without saying things... which is creepy."

Looks like the type of stuff you would expect from a Batman/Joker story with this creative team.

Gerads cover.

Looks like the type of stuff you would expect from a Batman/Joker story with this creative team.
    I found it very funny how King was on Word Balloon and said “sometimes you go to a fancy restaurant and they give you a delicious four course meal that blows your mind and expands your palate, other times you go to a fast food place and just get a burger and fries. This is one of those burger and fries stories.”
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I found it very funny how King was on Word Balloon and said “sometimes you go to a fancy restaurant and they give you a delicious four course meal that blows your mind and expands your palate, other times you go to a fast food place and just get a burger and fries. This is one of those burger and fries stories.”
    Kings idea of burger and fries might be different than others' idea of burger and fries, though if this is for King fans it makes sense .