Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

The only story I've had time to read so far is the Stormwatch story. I actually enjoyed it for what it was. A mash up of DC and Wildstorm characters as basically an alternative to the Suicide Squad. I guess I'm the odd man out because I've also been enjoying Batman Inc. Btw there are 2 returning OG Stormwatch characters in Winter and Flint. Not just one and the original Weatherman is NOT in this Stormwatch despite being mentioned by another reader earlier in the thread. I have the feeling that maybe they didn't actually read the story but flip through it because they got a lot wrong. Anyway it was fun seeing Rose and Phantom-One interact and as mentioned by others the art is stellar. I'm really interested to see where they go with this version of Stormwatch.

Mr. Baseball? I sleep.

Matches Malone? Now you have my attention.

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Brave and the Bold #2 Preview
    Writers: Tom King, Ed Brisson, Christopher Cantwell and Joelle Jones
    Artists: Mitch Gerads, Jeff Spokes, Javier Rodriguez and Joelle Jones

Laughing Fish did it better.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Laughing Fish did it better.
    It would actually be an improvement if it was a redux of Steve Englehart's "Laughing Fish" from 'tec #475-476 as that story hasn't gotten a modern take other than the B:TAS episode. Instead we're getting another re-do of "The Joker" from Batman #1 which already got a modern, noir inspired reboot in "Batman: The Man Who Laughs" back in 2005 by Ed Brubaker and Brubaker is a way better writer than King.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Brave and the Bold #3 Preview
    Writers: Dennis Culver, Ed Brisson, Christopher Cantwell, Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing
    Artists: Otto Schmidt, Jeff Spokes, Javier Rodriguez and Jorge Molina

A guy with a bat doesn't sound that intimidating but it's interesting how he was "friends" with Matches.

I kind of like the idea of a "friend of Matches Malone" gone bad (well, worse) story. We don't really see a lot of that side of Bruce's operation, which is kinda sad when you think about it - the whole secret identity as a low level criminal to get info from real criminals to use to stop crimes is actually a pretty awesome idea on the face of it - like the right writers could make whole series based on that concept alone if it wasn't tied to Batman. Arguably the Green Hornet is this idea but with the hero playing a fake supervillain more instead of a fake "low level" guy.

Anyways, it'd be cool to see more Matches Malone stuff sprinkled throughout all the regular Batman stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I kind of like the idea of a "friend of Matches Malone" gone bad (well, worse) story. We don't really see a lot of that side of Bruce's operation, which is kinda sad when you think about it - the whole secret identity as a low level criminal to get info from real criminals to use to stop crimes is actually a pretty awesome idea on the face of it - like the right writers could make whole series based on that concept alone if it wasn't tied to Batman. Arguably the Green Hornet is this idea but with the hero playing a fake supervillain more instead of a fake "low level" guy.

Anyways, it'd be cool to see more Matches Malone stuff sprinkled throughout all the regular Batman stuff.
    I remember Paul Dini during his 'Tec run coming up with another criminal identity that had his own different relationship with different criminal groups.

Extraordinary Member

Batman: The Brave and the Bold #4 Preview
    Writers: Various
    Artists: Various

Poor Cullen...

i would buy this series if it was cheaper and only a batman book lol dont care about the other stories in it hopefully theres a TPB of just the batman stories