Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Most disturbing storyline or scene in a DC comic

DC comics have gone through some dark periods over the years. What was the most disturbing storyline or scene that bothered you?

Mine - 5YL Legion #20

Bloodlines gave me nightmares. So did the destruction of the Lantern Corps. Another was Identity Crisis--that was so vile on so many levels.

And I cannot forget that JLE Starro storyline where the Leaguers were all zombified with those things on their faces. Ick!
    Last edited by Stanlos; 02-14-2023 at 04:40 PM.

This was that scene for me.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Jason Todd's torture and murder.

The origin of the goddess X’hal is pretty horrific. The story took place in the old Omega Men comic.

The alien race The Psions, known for experimenting on other races, kidnapped X’Hal who was one of the leaders of the peaceful planet Okaara. The Psions wanted to create a hybrid race between the peaceful beings of Okaara and the savage Branx warriors. So they put her in a glass room and started sending Branx warriors in one by one to rape her. It was super fucked up.

They experimented on her more and she eventually became a godlike being and worshipped by a whole star system.

Black Mask’s torture of Selina’s sister in his Catwoman run was pretty brutal. Making her swallow her husband’s eye.

Doctor Light ordering Raven and Starfire to hold Donna Troy down so he can rape her in Final Crisis: Revelations.
    Last edited by Twice-named; 02-14-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The origin of the goddess X’hal is pretty horrific. The story took place in the old Omega Men comic.

The alien race The Psions, known for experimenting on other races, kidnapped X’Hal who was one of the leaders of the peaceful planet Okaara. The Psions wanted to create a hybrid race between the peaceful beings of Okaara and the savage Branx warriors. So they put her in a glass room and started sending Branx warriors in one by one to rape her. It was super fucked up.

They experimented on her more and she eventually became a godlike being and worshipped by a whole star system.
    8^o

There is no way that is real! No. #Nope!

Just...unh uh

Extraordinary Member

This was pretty rough - Green Arrow: The Long Bow Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This was pretty rough - Green Arrow: The Long Bow Hunters
    I thought it, but man, I didn't need the image. I mean we can go down a rabbit hole with Sue Dibney,(TWICE in the same series), Alex in the fridge, Katma slaughtered in the kitchen, Animal Man's family, etc.

One scene that's just as disturbing was the opening of Milligan's "Shade, the Changing Man" where Kathy (a white girl) brings her black boyfriend home to meet the parents who live in the south, but when they get there, the parents have been murdered by a serial killer. Kathy's boyfriend fights the killer, but the cop shows up and immediately jumps to a conclusion and shoots her boyfriend dead. That's a F**ked up way to start a series. (and it get more f'ed up after that)

Extraordinary Member

Damn, all that sh!t is disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Black Mask’s torture of Selina’s sister in his Catwoman run was pretty brutal. Making her swallow her husband’s eye.

Doctor Light ordering Raven and Starfire to hold Donna Troy down so he can rape her in Final Crisis: Revelations.
    While the scene is still f*ck up, thoses women weren't Raven, Donna or Starfire. He put them in some cosplays so he could raped them while pretending to do that to the Titans girls.

Thankfully the Spectre shown up.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Retired

Having just re-read the LOIS LANE mini from 1986--"When It Rains, God is Crying" by Mindy Newell and Gray Morrow--and posted about it today on the Superman forum, that wound is fresh. This has some devastating scenes and it's all the more affecting because the situations are real. One can't distance oneself knowing it involves fantasy characters in an unreal world.

Seeing Blue Beetle's brains blown out and the grey matter exploding from his head was something awful I wish I'd never seen--but at least it's about a fictional character. What happens to children in our world is not something you can distance yourself from and still remain human.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    While the scene is still f*ck up, thoses women weren't Raven, Donna or Starfire. He put them in some cosplays so he could raped them while pretending to do that to the Titans girls.

Thankfully the Spectre shown up.
    My bad. You’re right.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This was that scene for me.

This was the first scene that popped into my head when I saw this thread title. Maybe it's because I was just a kid when I came out? Probably also has something to do with how much I like the Aquafamily and that this was the beginning of the end of it.

The destruction of Earth in 5YL Legion #38

Last edited by Tugger; 02-15-2023 at 12:22 PM.