Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    You're not being biased at all, are you?
    I am literally never biased nor wrong tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Is Ambaryerno coming back? I'm eagerly awaiting his response to page 6.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Is Ambaryerno coming back? I'm eagerly awaiting his response to page 6.
    I mean if you're desperate for a counter point; that's the reverse dynamic, the character is upset do to unrelated things and is lashing out at an available target rather then reacting to the character themselves or their conduct, and most importantly we are afforded a perceptive of how that relationship developed; it was also the only relationship that had a proper set up (The Angel relationship was complete trash that in no way worked on multiple levels that no one invested in the character liked.) despite, ironically, her never technically being in a relationship with him, but people think of them as if they were in a relationship because, again, the set up. Where as the Synch relationship went from a negative to in love, without providing a satisfying or any relationship arc to be invested in.

That page was not checkmate you seem to think it is.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    The 'is X-Men sexist' thing felt like dropping that bit into the story simply to acknowledge its a discourse that exists in parts of fandom, not because Duggan had anything to actually say about it
    I didn't have a problem with the Summers joke, since Corsair is known to be flippant like that.

But, I was totally taken out of the comic by Firestar's X-men question. I felt like I was missing a panel, since I initially didn't know what name she was referring to. At first I was thinking, 'is she asking is Firestar a sexist name?' or 'is she asking if Iceman is a sexist name?' or 'is she asking of Brood is a sexist name?'. I know, dumb me and my reading comprehension, since the previous sentence ended with the word X-men. But the question had nothing to do with the preceding conversation, nor the actions they were doing.

Once I realized she was referring to 'X-men', it still felt out of place cause she goes from saying it feels awesome being able to do full power kills without worry, to randomly asking if something is sexist.

A pretty jarring transition, and oddly a little sociopathic. It'd be like if the characters were talking about killing dogs, and then asking about hot dogs.

Ironically, this stream of consciousness type of jarring transitions would work in a Bendis written comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I mean if you're desperate for a counter point; that's the reverse dynamic, the character is upset do to unrelated things and is lashing out at an available target rather then reacting to the character themselves or their conduct, and most importantly we are afforded a perceptive of how that relationship developed; it was also the only relationship that had a proper set up (The Angel relationship was complete trash that in no way worked on multiple levels that no one invested in the character liked.) despite, ironically, her never technically being in a relationship with him, but people think of them as if they were in a relationship because, again, the set up. Where as the Synch relationship went from a negative to in love, without providing a satisfying or any relationship arc to be invested in.

That page was not checkmate you seem to think it is.

Seriously, people always ignore the context of this and the Danger Room scenes to say, "LoL! SeE HoW BaD HeLlIoN Is To LaUrA?! ROFLeleventyone!"

Apologies.
    My intent was not "LoL! SeE HoW BaD HeLlIoN Is To LaUrA?! ROFLeleventyone!" but rather to simply draw a parallel to the "how we met" vibes between the two respective love interests.
    Both encounters began as, we'll say--less than romantic.

Edit: Additionally, if I may be so bold as to point out that we as comic book readers embrace "established off panel" romance all the time. Mileage will always vary on how well, how often, or even how fully we embrace it but the X-Men mythos specifically brings us such relationships in abundance via time travel, alternate realities, dystopian futures, etc. The Age of Apocalypse is a great example. Pietro & Storm, Dazzler & Exodus, to name a few. Are they stand-the-test-of-time pairings? It would seem not. Do we ALL like these pairings? It would seem not. Such is the case with any romantic pairing. I guess what I'm getting at is -- my sincere sympathies to any and all who feel their favorite character is under, mis, or poorly used in the pages they're currently featured in. I know all too well the sting of some of my beloveds being written, by my own standard and preference, oddly or incorrectly -- again, by my own preferences. May each and every one of you find the peace and serenity needed to heal from these wounds of loss. I encourage sandwiches and rigorous masturbatory therapy -- if self-love is your bag. If not, lean to the sandwich.
    Last edited by Fokken; 02-17-2023 at 11:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Apologies.
    My intent was not "LoL! SeE HoW BaD HeLlIoN Is To LaUrA?! ROFLeleventyone!" but rather to simply draw a parallel to the "how we met" vibes between the two respective love interests.
    I don't agree that there's even a parallel. In HiX-Men Laura was being written by someone who clearly had no understanding of her personality. It's just another example of her being reduced to "Logan With Tits," and Hickman deciding that means Laura MUST respond to social situations by snarling and popping claws.

In New X-Men, she's being written by the two people who CREATED her personality; She's doesn't pop her claws on Hellion until AFTER he decides to start poking at her playing Wolverine in the Danger Room.

In NXM she doesn't engage until she was provoked. In HiX-Men she's aggressive and (to use Hickman's own descriptor) surly to someone who's not even doing anything.

That's not a parallel.

lmaoooooooooooooooo

Eyes wide shut it is. May yon sandwich prove to be nummers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I am literally never biased nor wrong tbh
    I was wrong once. It was that time that I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was right all along.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Apologies.

Edit: Additionally, if I may be so bold as to point out that we as comic book readers embrace "established off panel" romance all the time. Mileage will always vary on how well, how often, or even how fully we embrace it but the X-Men mythos specifically brings us such relationships in abundance via time travel, alternate realities, dystopian futures, etc. The Age of Apocalypse is a great example. Pietro & Storm, Dazzler & Exodus, to name a few. Are they stand-the-test-of-time pairings? It would seem not. Do we ALL like these pairings? It would seem not. Such is the case with any romantic pairing. I guess what I'm getting at is -- my sincere sympathies to any and all who feel their favorite character is under, mis, or poorly used in the pages they're currently featured in. I know all too well the sting of some of my beloveds being written, by my own standard and preference, oddly or incorrectly -- again, by my own preferences. May each and every one of you find the peace and serenity needed to heal from these wounds of loss. I encourage sandwiches and rigorous masturbatory therapy -- if self-love is your bag. If not, lean to the sandwich.
    But if you're in a sandwich, you don't need to masterbate...

Just a little surprised Vaultra told Ev's secret. She seems to be a chatty patty.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    Just a little surprised Vaultra told Ev's secret. She seems to be a chatty patty.
    what secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what secret?
    That he gets old whenever he uses his power a certain way. I think only Dr. Reyes knew this.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    She's often portrayed as blunt and direct in her speech. I remember she met Dust and was like, 'Oh, you're from Afghanistan, I've killed people in Afghanistan.'

I could see it being part of her moving past her own past for her to associate compulsive secret-keeping from even allies to be a bad thing, and to unconsciously sabotage it. (I say unconsciously, because I don't think she does so passive-aggressively, I think it's just in her nature to cut through the softpedaling bullshit and serve it hot.)