Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Wolverine 30# sysnops. The hank wars begin

On the beach
    Logan: I'm going to kill hank
    Sage: we need to build a case and document his crimes
    Logan: I'm killing hanks

Xforce with black tom and the Cia kid

Tom is playing with the kid but a shadowy figure who looks like hank releases a wasp. The wasp stings the girl, causing her to spasm, vomit and break out in boils.

They take kid to med Bay
    Reyes : ok so that wasp is a bio organic construct and injected her with a bunch of poision
    Sage: is it a krakoan mutation ?
    Logan: it's hank, he tried to kill a child to cover his tracks.

At Cia guys house, it explodes.
    Logan: when she said blue man I though hank, but her dad stood around when hank carved me up and got me to legacy house....

Logan then threatened to cut a guy's dick off to find Cia guy

Cia guy is working for x desk

Logan in Cia guys car
    Logan: miss me ?
    Cia guy crashes and shoots Logan only to be knocked out by Sage

Cia guy: hell kill my daughter
    Logan: we have her
    Cia guy: she's not safe with you
    Logan: I'm killing hank
    Cia guy: thank God. So hank been using me as a spy for xforce in x desk. He said I injected my daughter with somting and she'd die without his help.

Hank shoots Cia guy with a sniper rifle

Logan chases him down; stabes him in his neck and heart.

Hank is dead.

Next issue weapons of x

In a secreat room in x force, a pod opens. Hank had a secret respawn egg.
    Hank: Now everything changes.

Hank is no longer dead, and more evil

Well I guess on the bright side Logan can kill Hank over and over until he gets bored.

I thought this issue was solid. Logan and Sage doing what they do best, and what they should've been doing more of in X-Force honestly (i.e., using their experience and smarts to track down enemies of Krakoa and threats to the mutant nation's sovereign interests... in this case that just happens to be Hank McCoy). Seeing Wolverine slaughter Beast at this point was pretty satisfying. Not gonna lie. Looking forward to the next installment.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Hank shoots Cia guy with a sniper rifle
    I gasped when I read this line, wtf. After trying to kill his daughter.

Sorry Beast fans but Logan killing him sounds great and yeah hopefully he’ll get to do it over and over again. Then maybe we’ll luck out and one of Beast’s clones will somehow be good and replace him.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I gasped when I read this line, wtf. After trying to kill his daughter.

Sorry Beast fans but Logan killing him sounds great and yeah hopefully he’ll get to do it over and over again. Then maybe we’ll luck out and one of Beast’s clones will somehow be good and replace him.
    I still think eventually once they deal w the clones Sage and Logan are going to force someone to resurrect Hank with a super old back-up.

I think they've over-indulged on evil Beast at this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hahaha you haven't even began to see evil hank yet

Oof. Nice of him to give his clones defined abs.

Percy on the twitter:

"Wolverine Issue #30 is out today -- and it just might feature an "after credits" scene you don't want to miss. Shit is about to get crazy.
    With a cover by @leinilyu and interiors by @RypJuan #marvelcomics #Wolverine"
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I didn't really notice that upon first read, but it would appear that Hank has juiced himself up and made enhancements to himself via his resurrection backup system. He's certainly not fat anymore.

This is something I've been thinking about quite a bit actually, the ability to enhance oneself via the resurrection protocols. For example, as much as Logan professes to hate what Weapon X did to him, why does he have the adamantium re-bonded to his skeleton over and over again each time he's killed and brought back? Especially since he is (or was) the leader of the field branch of the mutant CIA, and adamantium has a unique radioactive signature that can be tracked (which we've seen from time to time in the comics)? Not to mention susceptible to metal detectors, magnets, etc. I'm thinking he'd want to be brought back without it, but perhaps with his bones and muscles enhanced so that he can cut through most things, including steel, even without it. And, of course, he does have the Muramasa blade which can both neuralize healing factors and cut through anything. Just in case he comes up against a Sentinel with omnium plated armor and his enhanced bone claws can't easily slice through it. It's not like he isn't proficient in the use of most weapons on Earth, especially a sword.

Just thinking out loud here...

This thread has been fact-checked by true Krakoan patriots

bless

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    This is something I've been thinking about quite a bit actually, the ability to enhance oneself via the resurrection protocols. For example, as much as Logan professes to hate what Weapon X did to him, why does he have the adamantium re-bonded to his skeleton over and over again each time he's killed and brought back? Especially since he is (or was) the leader of the field branch of the mutant CIA, and adamantium has a unique radioactive signature that can be tracked (which we've seen from time to time in the comics)? Not to mention susceptible to metal detectors, magnets, etc. I'm thinking he'd want to be brought back without it, but perhaps with his bones and muscles enhanced so that he can cut through most things, including steel, even without it. And, of course, he does have the Muramasa blade
    this is the dance the writers need to do. Logan is known for those metal claws and bones (even non comic readers that think that's his powers) but in story it would make sense to not have him be poisoned by it, tracked by it ect...

Do you make a drastic change to status quo? is it worth it?
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    this is the dance the writers need to do. Logan is known for those metal claws and bones (even non comic readers that think that's his powers) but in story it would make sense to not have him be poisoned by it, tracked by it ect...

This kind of reminds how Laura was "resurrected" with a full Adamantium skeleton just to justify Polaris being able to control her body (and then never really addressed again) only for a later body to be back to her normal state?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post

Yeah... I know. Status quo changes are tricky. But in my experience when done well they are absolutely worth it. As someone who got into Wolverine and the X-men in the early 90s, I still remember having my mind blown when Magneto yanked the adamantium from Wolverine's bones in X-men #25... and this was all pre-internet so there was no warning or spoilers of any kind to be found until you turned the page and it happened! Then my little mind gets blown again when in the very next issue of the Fatal Attractions crossover, Wolverine #75, he pops bone claws! From there, without his healing factor and the vaunted unbreakable metal that seemingly makes him Wolverine (or Weapon X to be more precise I suppose) he leaves the X-men to find himself with all of his enemies on his trail hunting him down one by one by one... Lady Deathstrike... Bloodscream and Cylla... Cyber... the Hand... and then run ins with the Hunter and Darkness and Albert and Elsie Dee, Maverick, Deadpool, Garrison Kane and Copycat, Ghost Rider and Ogun... and to top it all off, a badass throwndown with Sabretooth in Wolverine #90 where he pops a claw through Creed's brain at the end... right as the world ends and reality shatters and... well, we enter the Age of Apocalypse. Another mindblowing status quo change that lasted for about four months or so.

That was such a cool time IMO. And then after AoA we go all the way up to issue #100 (with an awesome bar room showdown with Juggernaut that sees Logan sticking up for a drunk junior X-man in Cannonball along the way) and you think, "this is it; he's finally getting the metal back"... except, psych! Bait and switch. And he doesn't! Not until issue #145 many years later. By the time he finally got it back we'd gone through the noseless feral Wolverine period which was pretty dumb admittedly, so it was time. But that was a status quo change that lasted six years... from November of '93 until December of '99.

Very memorable period for me personally and I loved it. If Marvel wanted to differentiate Laura's Wolverine from Logan's today, especially since she now has a full adamantium skeleton due to a mistake by Proteus in resurrecting her; then I say they make Logan the Nick Fury of the mutant world and de-adamantiumize him and make him a natural being again... with some enhancements to make his bones stronger/sharper and his physiology stronger. That way he's the sneaky "off the radar" Wolverine doing dark, black ops stuff while she's the more superheroic one.

Just my $.02. Won't happen, but fun to think about.

This kind of reminds how Laura was "resurrected" with a full Adamantium skeleton just to justify Polaris being able to control her body (and then never really addressed again) only for a later body to be back to her normal state?
    Oh... did they fix that mistake already and take away Laura's full adamantium skeleton? I must've missed that.

At this point I genuinely gotta wonder who this story is even for because this is just blatant character assassination. At this point, Beast needs to be exiled from Krakoa and have to reassess himself and how he’s fallen so low as to become the very thing that he used to fight against as both an X-Man and Avenger.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah... I know. Status quo changes are tricky. But in my experience when done well they are absolutely worth it. As someone who got into Wolverine and the X-men in the early 90s, I still remember having my mind blown when Magneto yanked the adamantium from Wolverine's bones in X-men #25... and this was all pre-internet so there was no warning or spoilers of any kind to be found until you turned the page and it happened! Then my little mind gets blown again when in the very next issue of the Fatal Attractions crossover, Wolverine #75, he pops bone claws! From there, without his healing factor and the vaunted unbreakable metal that seemingly makes him Wolverine (or Weapon X to be more precise I suppose) he leaves the X-men to find himself with all of his enemies on his trail hunting him down one by one by one... Lady Deathstrike... Bloodscream and Cylla... Cyber... the Hand... and then run ins with the Hunter and Darkness and Albert and Elsie Dee, Maverick, Deadpool, Garrison Kane and Copycat, Ghost Rider and Ogun... and to top it all off, a badass throwndown with Sabretooth in Wolverine #90 where he pops a claw through Creed's brain at the end... right as the world ends and reality shatters and... well, we enter the Age of Apocalypse. Another mindblowing status quo change that lasted for about four months or so.

That was such a cool time IMO. And then after AoA we go all the way up to issue #100 (with an awesome bar room showdown with Juggernaut that sees Logan sticking up for a drunk junior X-man in Cannonball along the way) and you think, "this is it; he's finally getting the metal back"... except, psych! Bait and switch. And he doesn't! Not until issue #145 many years later. By the time he finally got it back we'd gone through the noseless feral Wolverine period which was pretty dumb admittedly, so it was time. But that was a status quo change that lasted six years... from November of '93 until December of '99.
    It's weird to look back and see how Wolverine regaining an adamantium laced skeleton, which he then kept until his physical death in HOX/POX was almost a trivial side addition to the whole "Wolverine is the Horsemen of Death" reveal.

If i recall right it got more detail in his own series, but even then him regaining it, long after it seemingly stopped being important for the character, feels like another example of the rather chaotic and aimless nature of the X-men core comics during that time.

As for the subject of the adamantium skeleton itself and it's drawbacks.

Looking at the almost comical amount of injuries and damage writers had Wolverine survive and heal back from over the years, especialy the last two decades, which practically remove all pretense of his survival and healing ability being in any way reasonable (by the original standards set), i do wonder if his character would even need it anymore?

He will sustain horrible injuries with or without it constantly and then heal back from them (or die with the RP currently still in place). It does not decrease injuries or increase his survival chance and it's absence would not increase the amount of injuries he sustains nor would it cause his death.

The illusion has been broken ages ago.

So at this point they could just remove it as beneficial problem for the character and if they need to explain why his bones might still be there after being hit by ... death star laser hit, they could just write that his bone density has increased to adamantin level by itself. After all they allready made a big deal out of him having some special blood, seemingly to explain why he is better than "regular" people with healing.

At this point his adamantium skeleton seems more of a big deal because of being heavily associated with the character and his backstory than because it really give him any benefit anymore.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-15-2023 at 05:52 PM.