Default Spoilers/Review - Captain Marvel #46

We open on a variation of the classic 9 panel grid and if you've been following the series previously you'll soon understand they are each aspects and memories of the missing character Binary, who we see imprisoned on the next page. The panels with her kitten really got me! Already off to an effective emotional start as we see Binary is not in a good way.

Then we go to Carol and her team of Kwannon and Spiderwoman. Carol is internally distraught over what might be happening to Binary as she has suffered at the Brood's clutches and it impacted her life severely. Jessica Drew is trying to keep their minds off the stress by hanging upside down adorably and making humorous conjectures about Brood vending machines, but Carol's not feeling it. Kwannon is having trouble blocking out Carol's strong emotional thoughts as she is linking the whole group and speaks to Carol of her concerns. They all agree it's suspicious that they haven't encountered more resistance so far, but what choice do they have?

Also we have an interesting moment where Kwannon picks up on Carol's thoughts about her alternative future daughter with Forge named Sora (see Captain Marvel 22-26)! Carol allows her to look and Kwannon seems surprised but kind of pleased to learn about this daughter and they agree to table discussion for another time. I hope we get that someday! I have to think after losing her daughter in this universe this is something near to her heart and Sora is a fascinating character. I also would love the alternative kids from that timeline to come visit including Irene LeBeau!

Anyway, they finally locate Binary, realizing Carol's worst fears, and can't determine right away if she is still even alive as Binary is an energy being and so much about her is a mystery.

We then cut abruptly to team B with Gambit, Polaris, Laura, and Hazmat. They seem to be dealing with more Brood resistance and we get great moments from each character and a lovely show of their teamwork. I really loved the verbal interplay of this group and how they each get moments to shine. Hazmat seems bemused by this trio and how they gel and finds herself fitting right in.

Gambit blows a final door, making note of how tired he is of the Brood hurting his people (yay continuity!!!), and they are relieved to discover that Rogue is indeed here and was not the Brood they mercy killed earlier! Woot!

The bad news is now that the Brood have them where they want them, monitors show the whole planet is coming for them! The odds feel impossible.

Time for Hazmat to have her big damn hero moment and it's awesome. Lorna shields herself, Gambit and Rogue while Laura braves the radiation to keep Hazmat clear of Brood while she does her thing.

Kwannon gets the notice just in time for Carol to shield their group.

And then, Hazmat makes the Brood go boom! Hell yeah!

Excellent issue! Great pacing and sense of urgency and stakes that feel real.

Can't wait for #47 and it sounds like this will all come together with X-Men for issue #49.

I hope they collect this crossover together

Well, thank you for taking the time to write this recap AppleJ, I’m actually buying this title even if I find the writing boring and unexciting, characterization is quite flat and stories seems to always drag longer than needed while Carol’s inner monologues are getting harder and harder to bear, on the bright side I find the art quite stable and pleasing to the eye so that’s a plus.
    The guest-starring has been a staple of this book ever-since its inception and I believe it has worked for the most part despite the fact that most characters feel the same and a bit predictable.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

While I found the earlier issues to be plodding I really liked the pacing of this one. Can't wait for next issue to see what happens with Rogue.
    And, yes... Pina's art was beauty-full to look upon.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I liked the issue, thought it flowed well enough. Certainly for someone like me who didn't buy it for Carol I would have appreciated more focus on the B team but I am happy with what we got. KT balances the cast really well and for me this is what I hoped adjectivless X-men would be in terms of team dynamic.

I haven't read much of Kwannon but I quite like her here. Sadly Betsy under Tini's pen has taken a turn for the worse. As it is now I prefer Kwannon over Betsy. Not that I or anyone else have to choose but the realisation struck me when reading this.

Polaris and Laura where fun. Hazmat got more space and a nice final page.

Carol was written well and for a character I never really warmed up to before she has been quite enjoyable over these issues. Big props to KT for that!

With Gambit I am mostly happy. But there are two nitpicks for me:
    * He and Laura have yet to have a dialogue. Some cute moments but no dialogue as in one of them saying something and the other responds.
    * It was a bit hard to understand what exactly Gambits explosion did judging from the art. It was a big beautiful explosion but hard to see what it hit and what the impact was.
    Still nitpicking about things like this only happens when I am happy. It's a luxury I am glad to enjoy.

Next issue I hope we get some Rogue and a big action scene.
    Last edited by Malachi; 02-16-2023 at 07:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This was a fun little story with nice character moments. Not sure it's worth blowing it up to a crossover with adjectiveless X-Men but Duggan's opening salvo on that book was strong so no complaints so far.

Javier Pina makes every panel look luscious and every face so gorgeous... let's keep him around Krakoa please. How does he not have a regular X-book yet?!

I liked the story. The art was gorgeous as mentioned and the banter was entertaining. The combos between Polaris and Laura and Hazmet and Laura were nice. I wish we saw more mutant circuits between the other characters (I feel like Polaris magnetism and Gambit's kinetic energy could get very... explosive, as an example).

Curious on how exactly the Brood was able to capture Rogue, is it a Contest of the Champions II scenario again? Rogue should really learn to better discern illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    This was a fun little story with nice character moments. Not sure it's worth blowing it up to a crossover with adjectiveless X-Men but Duggan's opening salvo on that book was strong so no complaints so far.

Javier Pina makes every panel look luscious and every face so gorgeous... let's keep him around Krakoa please. How does he not have a regular X-book yet?!
    As others have suspected… it’s giving crossover in name only. Duggan’s book will have moved back to Orchis stuff will this book is still dealing with the Brood in May.

BANNED

I liked X-Men #19, it was good. And probably my favorite, Yr. 2 issue so far, save Iceman's spotlight in #14 & maybe the annual featuring Firestar.

But I think I liked this a li'l better, for some reason(s), especially the 2nd, more mutant heavy half. Both had some really great art moments, and Pina in particular, was at his most impressive yet.

As always, I anXiously anticipate...
    seeing how this ALL ends up and...
    hope everybody makes it out OK...
    to see it. 🤞😰

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    As others have suspected… it’s giving crossover in name only. Duggan’s book will have moved back to Orchis stuff will this book is still dealing with the Brood in May.
    I think the may issue of captain marvel is the epilogue issue

Wasn't he subbing for Pepe Larraz on the first year of Duggan's X-Men? He did the Jean\Nightmare issue!

Carol Corps stole Pina away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Wasn't he subbing for Pepe Larraz on the first year of Duggan's X-Men? He did the Jean\Nightmare issue!

Carol Corps stole Pina away!!!
    Javier did only that one issue if I recall correctly. Villa has mostly been subbing for Larraz during the first year. I would be very happy to have Pina alternating with Cassara going forward, their styles don't mesh as well as Larraz's and Pina's but I think they would complement each other well.

BANNED

Javier did only that one issue if I recall correctly. Villa has mostly been subbing for Larraz during the first year. ...
    It's the opposite, actually, Villa only did #9.

Pina drew #s 4, 8, and 10 while also sharing duties on 5 w/Ze Carlos.

Everything else was by Larraz, w/Gracia's colors gracing all but 4 & 5.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    It's the opposite, actually, Villa only did #9.

Pina drew #s 4, 8, and 10 while also sharing duties on 5 w/Ze Carlos.

Everything else was by Larraz, w/Gracia's colors gracing all but 4 & 5.
    Whoops, my memories must have been corrupted during the last Cerebro backup. I blame Sinister Xavier.

BANNED

Whoops, my memories must have been corrupted during the last Cerebro backup.

I blame Sinister Xavier.
    I consider this version of Charles eXempt, as he was shown...
    to be corrupted early on in Hickman's HoX, by Moira X.
    SO...

I ONLY BLAME
    SINISTER
    EVERYTHING🤬

Whichever that is and/or...
    whoever,
    it may really be.