Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Humoros nuisance The PhantomDreamlander's Avatar

Question What was the thing that got you into comic books?

I have to admit when I was younger I really was not into them but as time passed and as of last year as I grew older I really appreciated the artwork that went into them as well as the writing of them and even the weird stuff.

But What really got me into comic books mainly was the villains from how layered of characters they can be from their strange motivations and there crazy designs, from Characters like Lex Luthor to more weird but still cool ones like the Trickster (the original one).

Ever since I found a personal love for them I’ve been getting them and reading them when I get the chance to plus watching videos about them like watching Mr.Rouges videos multiple times. it has more than got me hooked and to do try and create some stuff that is very much in lines with the weirdness of the silver age but to an even more exaggerated level full of weird stuff that’s straight out of a fever dream.

What was the thing that got you into them?
    Last edited by The PhantomDreamlander; 02-15-2023 at 08:18 PM.
    ya see the thing with humor is that it could either be real funny or completley terrible, the nightmare comes with everyone thinking your unfunny.

Reading old Archie comics with my dad. I then made the switch to Superhero comics
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Reading old Archie comics with my dad. I then made the switch to Superhero comics
    Same except the Archie comics were my sisters.

A kid on the bus had a Justice League of America comic and that changed everything.

Retired

My sisters. They shared a bedroom and had a big closet where they piled up their comic books. I was the baby of the family and I could crawl through their closet and their comic books right through to the other side which came out in our living room. Very clever. Made me quite happy to crawl through those piles of comics. So that's how I first got into comics.

BANNED

I must have been around 6 or 7 yrs old and my aunt was taking my sister and me from New York to Philadelphia for Christmas. I was most talkative so my aunt bought me a Spiderman comic book at the first rest stop in New Jersey. I must have read that book for the entire rest of the trip and when were arrived at our final destination my aunt said to me, "Boy if I had known that a comic book would have kept you quiet I would have bought you one before we got on the bus."

Astonishing Member

Following the adventures of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck was how I learned to read, a year or two before I started school. A comic book is an ideal tool for learning to read, since the pictures help you figure out the words. This was a very commonplace experience, back in the 1950s.

I liked the funny pages. The Spider-Man comic strip led to me discovering the Spider-Man comic book.

Cartoons introduced me to Batman and the X-Men. I liked Sonic the Hedgehog video games, so the first comic book I followed religiously was Sonic.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of this before, but if my parents got me a Super Nintendo for Christmas instead of a Sega Genesis, I might not be as much into comics. I could've gone into a different hobby.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I've been reading (or 'reading', I guess) comics since before I could read. I literally can't remember my life before comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I've been reading (or 'reading', I guess) comics since before I could read. I literally can't remember my life before comics.
    The same with me. I can't remember not reading comics. Somethings wrong with the Matrix, I guess.

Astonishing Member

I don't remember what got me into comics but I went from Disney to GI Joe to Marvel 616 comics.

The animated series (90's versions). First, Spider-Man and WildCats, then X-Men, FF and Iron Man. Then movie versions started to be made with notable differencies, so I got curious what the original comics were like.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

My gateway to the comics was The Super Friends. My Saturday morning routine was a bowl of cereal watching The Super Friends.

Not long after the "All New" series debuted, I was at a flea market with my family, and one of the booths had a spinning comic rack. I looked it over, and found the first comic I ever bought, issue #14 of The Super Friends, which featured the origin of the Wonder Twins.

When that series got cancelled, I moved on to Green Lantern, JLA Teen Titans and LoSH.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    The animated series (90's versions). First, Spider-Man and WildCats, then X-Men, FF and Iron Man. Then movie versions started to be made with notable differencies, so I got curious what the original comics were like.
    Pretty much this, except a few years, errr decades earlier.

Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 03-04-2023 at 11:14 AM.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Fantastic Member

Probably the cartoons. I remember I had a VHS as a kid that featured Kitty Pryde's 1st time joining the an xmen team that had colossus, night crawler, and dazzler on it.

I started with my dad reading me the Sunday funnies when I was like 3 in the early 70s and graduating to reading them myself. I was more drawn to the adventure strips (Tarzan, Phantom, etc.) than the gag strips, but I like a lot of the gag strips too (Peanuts, Hagar the Horrible. Beetle Bailey, Wizard of Id, etc.). Saturday morning cartoons were big with me as well. I graduated to comic books when I had to go with my parents to the bowling alley on their league night and people would bring comic books to keep the kids occupied (usually Gold Key stuff featuring Saturday morning cartoon characters). When I was in kindergarten, I got a super-hero gift cannister of reels for the Viewmaster (Adam West Batman, Shazam, Superman, Aquaman, etc.) and several Marvel reels featuring Silver Age stories of Captain America, Thor and Iron Man. Super Friends entered the picture at that point, as did Spider-Man on Electric Company. I got my first super-hero comic in 1973 (Batman #250) when I was about 4 years old, but they were few and far between until '75 when I started getting a comic each week with my allowance and they were mostly Marvel.

So there was no one thing that got me into comics, but a process that led me there step by step through various different but related things.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato