Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Kal-L of Earth-Two

Many fans were not happy with how the Pre-COIE Superman of Earth-Two was treated in INFINITE CRISIS and BLACKEST NIGHT. Considering that he was the embodiment of the Golden Age Superman, his ultimate fate left much to be desired.

Now that the original Multiverse is back in play, is there any possibility of a proper Kal-L revival?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

What's the point if the guy is gonna be written like main universe guy?There is a whol superman family with little variety as far as i can tell.One more superman doesn't do much.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What's the point if the guy is gonna be written like main universe guy?There is a whol superman family with little variety as far as i can tell.One more superman doesn't do much.
    That family is missing a grandfather figure, and Kal-L would fit the bill. Pre-COIE, Kal-L often demonstrated a worldly wisdom that the younger Kal-El hadn't yet developed.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't mind a mention of the fact that wherever Kal-L, Prime, Lois and Alex Luthor went at the end of Crisis, it wasn't wherever the characters shown in Infinite Crisis came from. But I definitely don't want to see Kal-L brought back into the current DCU. I'd rather remember him as the hero he was rather than what current writers would make him into.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 02-16-2023 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    That family is missing a grandfather figure, and Kal-L would fit the bill. Pre-COIE, Kal-L often demonstrated a worldly wisdom that the younger Kal-El hadn't yet developed.

Yeah!dude!these guys(writers) generally think ma and pa are wise..when it comes to execution we get nothing.

On top of that,kal l is the kinda guy when he hears what he thinks is bullshit would say so.Remeber when kal el got a car to his face in post crisis.Yeah! that's not too far off(though characterisation of clark as some nostalgia guy was stupid..he was the man of action.. present is all that matters). if clark is to be wise..i would prefer it to be something actual and tangible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I wouldn't mind a mention of the fact that wherever Kal-L, Prime, Lois and Alex Luthor went at the end of Crisis, it wasn't wherever the characters shown in Infinite Crisis came from. But I definitely don't want to see Kal-L brought back into the current DCU. I'd rather remember him as the hero he was rather than what current writers would make him into.
    That guy is just an another character..Nothing more or less.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-16-2023 at 04:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I was kind of hoping that they would bring back the pre-Crisis versions of all the characters after these stupid "Crisis" or whatever were over. But considering the fact that they gave "mainstream" Superman Kal-L's costume in the new JSA book, I'm not holding my breath we'll see any of them anytime soon.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Amen to this. None of those characters, including Alex, deserved their fates. Kal-L, Lois, and Superboy deserved paradise for their sacrifices. Alex was also a hero and lost his world, never knowing his parents. Bringing them back and making them villains or killing them was stupid and ugly, the hallmarks of Dan DiDio.

In my mind, they're still out there, hopefully restored to their original Earths and living happily ever after.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Amen to this. None of those characters, including Alex, deserved their fates. Kal-L, Lois, and Superboy deserved paradise for their sacrifices. Alex was also a hero and lost his world, never knowing his parents. Bringing them back and making them villains or killing them was stupid and ugly, the hallmarks of Dan DiDio.

In my mind, they're still out there, hopefully restored to their original Earths and living happily ever after.
    Yeah!happily ever after ending for goldenage inspired superman is dumb idea,in my opinion..I see that guy going out in a blaze of glory.He should have died in crisis,not kara.That's my biggest gripe with story.kal el and kara should be survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Many fans were not happy with how the Pre-COIE Superman of Earth-Two was treated in INFINITE CRISIS and BLACKEST NIGHT. Considering that he was the embodiment of the Golden Age Superman, his ultimate fate left much to be desired.

Now that the original Multiverse is back in play, is there any possibility of a proper Kal-L revival?

Yes but I don't know if it would be proper Kal-L. Best case scenario is Johns tackles him in JSA.

Idk why he would need to return. The only difference between him and Earth-1 Superman was that Earth-2 Superman was married to Lois and editor of the Daily Star.

Retired

Maybe they should establish a separate imprint for Elseworlds/Imaginary Stories/Alternate Earths and give the job of Editor-in-Chief to someone outside the current regime. Someone we can trust to respect the concepts and not screw around with them.

I'd put Roy Thomas in charge, but's he's probably too old and been through too many wars to want the job. And most of the others I could name are dead.

The idea itself isn't a bad one--it's just that the publisher will always find a way to turn it into a pig's ear. So there has to be someone in charge who has enough distance and creative autonomy to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Yes but I don't know if it would be proper Kal-L. Best case scenario is Johns tackles him in JSA.
    Johns is the last person I want going anywhere near Kal-L. Last time he literally dragged his corpse around the DCU.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Didn't he get killed off in rather perfunctory fashion by Johns? As a bare afterthought and cheap emotional pop, (largely cheap because it was clear from the start Johns planned on killing him off for effect, and because no one had seen this character in 40 years)? And didn't Johns then drag his corpse through the mud in that Final Night thing? Not that sure Johns is who you want...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Didn't he get killed off in rather perfunctory fashion by Johns? As a bare afterthought and cheap emotional pop, (largely cheap because it was clear from the start Johns planned on killing him off for effect, and because no one had seen this character in 40 years)? And didn't Johns then drag his corpse through the mud in that Final Night thing? Not that sure Johns is who you want...
    Yes. Yes he did.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Johns is the last person I want going anywhere near Kal-L. Last time he literally dragged his corpse around the DCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It's not who I want, it's the most likely option of who would use Kal-L.

Johns is doing JSA which feels like the ideal place for him.

Unless Johnson or Williamson would wanna take a crack at him. Taylor has Jon try to save alternate versions if his father from Ultraman so he'd be a likely pick.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-16-2023 at 05:07 PM.