Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    To be fair, it's clearly a gaff on Peter's part. But it's still horrendous that they're being written like high school kids.

It's also clearly an example of the writer talking through the characters. There was no natural buildup to this.
    I mean that's how they want Peter to act like's still at high school.

Like I said before, you can't tell me this run isn't deliberately trying to insult the audience's intelligence, but even I didn't expect it would get this low. And I thought the non-Bat wedding was bad. At least Selina didn't leave Bruce at that rooftop because she suddenly realized she loved him like a brother.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Like I said before, you can't tell me this run isn't deliberately trying to insult the audience's intelligence, but even I didn't expect it would get this low. And I thought the non-Bat wedding was bad. At least Selina didn't leave Bruce at that rooftop because she suddenly realized she loved him like a brother.
    I mean it will be ignored anyways. We have the next arc coming up and it's with a time skip to the spring. So anything could have happened between everyone after this issue. This is just lazy writing and sure enough Peter will more Intune with his feeling with he has to be near MJ. Which is always the case

There is 0 reason to have have Peter have to justify things to Felicia with the "like a sister" or "friend zone" to MJ commentary. The explanation is already there - MJ is with another man with kids. It can't work so Peter needs to move on and find someone else. Period.

This is just poor writing, out of character writing, and I'm not sure what it's for or what they are thinking, but how did editors let this writing get through? It takes readers out of the story and question if the writers have any knowledge on the character because it's like an alternate non-canon take being shoved down our throats and causes no one to like the direction. It's pathetic. Meanwhile, Marvel marketing is posting Peter and MJ content with them kissing with flowers in his iconic upside down pose on twitter for Valentine's Day. There is such a huge disconnect between the marketing Marvel wants for Peter and MJ, and the writing in the comics. It feels like they need to make some course correction in the comic side because this is not aligned with Marvel as a whole or the Spider-Man brand.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 02-22-2023 at 08:24 AM.

So much for "filler arc!"

By golly, this'll get people talking. The spoilers:
    sister
    end of spoilersline will haunt the internets, sans context, as it usually goes. But yeah, the narrative direction from the first arc, thru 900, the asking out to here is crystal clear, right? Let's see if developments in the next arc will do anything to stifle or subvert it. I honestly don't know! How exciting!

And, yeah, glad the big reveal is coming. Once you drop and issue like this one, you gotta justify it.

Sublime art, fun banter, exciting developments. All in all, great issue! There, I said it! And I mean it, too!

punisher-the-punisher.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Joe Kelly also created and try to make happen Norah Winters, a discount Joy Mercado which I rather they bring back. Norah is more annoying and obnoxious. I like how Spencer tried to make Norah purposely more unlikable.
    Too bad there was never any fallout to her working with the Chameleon.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoth82 View Post
    I literally don’t have time for this anymore. It’s not 2007 and I’m not 25, I’m 40 and getting older. I’d like to see these characters make actual lasting progress before I get any older or sicker.
    I think everybody has to make peace with the fact that Spider-Man is still going to be 25 long after we're all dead. And that's the only way to enjoy any Spider-Man or Marvel/DC comic

Of course the other thing we should all do is read comics where actual, lasting progress is a thing. Basically fuck Marvel, read Love and Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by icefour33 View Post
    I think everybody has to make peace with the fact that Spider-Man is still going to be 25 long after we're all dead. And that's the only way to enjoy any Spider-Man or Marvel/DC comic

Of course the other thing we should all do is read comics where actual, lasting progress is a thing. Basically fuck Marvel, read Love and Rockets
    Yeah it's not even that, it's just getting them back to where they had been pre-OMD which was way better than what we have now. We have gone beyond regression and into just plane out of character/nonsensical BS that makes readers face palm. I'm not sure if writers do this intentionally or if it's some type of cult thinking in the Spider Offices that has taken over that says out of character and/or poorly writen characters is ok because it subverts expectations and gets the book attention.

It's like Marvel are just writing stuff in the book to create click bait on the internet or something with this run. There is nothing wrong with making a story create shocking moments for click bait either, but it should be "I can't believe X happened in the story or to this character" not things like "what are writers/editorial thinking making the characters behave this way"?
    Last edited by Vortex85; 02-22-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Astonishing Member

like they say in memes towards some messed up anime/manga. if you like Peter MJ together, then "Incest is Wincest"

Fantastic Member

Joe Kelly also created and try to make happen Norah Winters, a discount Joy Mercado which I rather they bring back. Norah is more annoying and obnoxious. I like how Spencer tried to make Norah purposely more unlikable.
    I lie Norah, think she's a fun character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    So much for "filler arc!"

By golly, this'll get people talking. The spoilers:
    sister
    end of spoilersline will haunt the internets, sans context, as it usually goes. But yeah, the narrative direction from the first arc, thru 900, the asking out to here is crystal clear, right? Let's see if developments in the next arc will do anything to stifle or subvert it. I honestly don't know! How exciting!

And, yeah, glad the big reveal is coming. Once you drop and issue like this one, you gotta justify it.

Sublime art, fun banter, exciting developments. All in all, great issue! There, I said it! And I mean it, too!

punisher-the-punisher.jpg
    They haven't justified anything so far. Why start now?

(Also, still a filler arc. It did nothing except push the current status quo. Hopefully we get some decent memes mocking the "sister" line.)

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    I lie Norah, think she's a fun character.
    Norah rules.

like they say in memes towards some messed up anime/manga. if you like Peter MJ together, then "Incest is Wincest"
    Suddenly, Game of Thrones!

I love her like a sister.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Let's put aside how Peter getting back together with Felicia is completely inorganic and unearned, in part because Peter and MJ broke up off-panel and we still have *zero *context how that happened (until the next arc anyway). Peter saying to Felicia that his love for MJ is no longer the same as it once was not only contradicts his previous actions all throughout this run, it contradicts his own behavior* in this very story!* This is a classic example of both the writer and editorial of telling instead of showing, and anyone with any ounce of reading comprehension realizes just how artificial Peter current relationship status' is with both MJ and Black Cat--especially since Wells is devoting a six-part story in order to explain (finally) why Peter and MJ are no longer together and why she wound up with Paul and has two kids. And if you have to justify that much time for a break-up, then you're trying too damn hard. It didn't work with One More Day. It didn't work with One Moment in Time. And it's certainly not going to work now.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Hey, Joe Kelly? What is happening?
    Get Felicia out of there before the worst happens, where's Jed MacKay to take care of her