Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Editorial shouldn't have let the sister line through, I get it's Peter being awkward and lying to himself but editorial should know that line now is gonna be used against them for decades to come just by letting it see print lol.

This whole era since OMD has been some of the worst written and edited spiderman ever. Worse than anything out of the clone saga. I somehow hate Peter Parker these days. I guess when I was a teenager I tolerated the fact he was portrayed as a loser who always did the right thing and never took care of himself. At 41 this **** got old a long time ago and young people don't read comics to benefit from this axiom. I mean its not even charming anymore. It is not a timeless thing. Kids these days would not see the beauty of it that Marvel thinks its portraying. Mostly because of the way it is portrayed. Like there is an invisible force called editorial that constantly pulls the carrot on the string away from him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Flip around the scenario

If the Renew Your Vows status quo appeared in 616, in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man, and the single Spider-Man at the time appeared as a side title called something else based on an alternate reality Secret Wars story, then the married status quo would have outsold the single status quo vastly. I can promise you that.
    I agree. From that we can conclude that "the fans" don't care too strongly about Peter's relationship either way, or they do but they're happy to enjoy the rollercoaster wherever it goes. It's not a make-or-break priority to them when it comes to their purchasing decisions.

Following the continuing adventures of the regular Spider-Man, who's part of the greater Marvel Universe, has proven to be a priority when it comes to Spider-Man comic readers' purchasing decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    I would say most love the character for sure, but the current run on Amazing Spider-Man? I would say if you were to take any survey on thoughts on the current run, it would lean negative without a doubt.
    I'm not so sure about that. If it was a poll of online fan communities, then maybe. But a random selection of the larger readership?

At the end of the day, the polls that matter the most are what people are spending their money on, and what people are reading on Marvel Unlimited.

"The fans don't want this thing they keep buying" isn't going to convince Marvel.

BANNED

"Sister" LMFAO

"Lower case L in love" LMAFO

Could you be any more desperate to kill off the relationship and spite fans? just kill MJ off now, this is horrendous stuff all round.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse era of Spider-man in 33 years of reading Marvel, he's written like a thick, unlikeable, man child, moron, deadpool lite joke.

Lowe, Slott, Broovert, Joe Q, Wells and all involved in BND since have utterly, utterly killed the comic version of this character.

When the MCU version marries MJ, I can't wait for the back tracking by these "writers".

Peter Parker always had bad luck but he wasn't ever a POS, thank god for epic collections.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Nobody involved with this issue should be working at Marvel any longer. This is pathetic.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. If it was a poll of online fan communities, then maybe. But a random selection of the larger readership?
    Exactly, people don't seem to recognise the echo chambers they're in sometimes.

Just looking at the review on Amazon will show a very different sentiment about these books. These are people who have bought these books and are the few who have bothered to leave a score.

Only including the books with 10+ reviews we show a generally pretty happy crowd. Before you at me, the books with very few ratings are even higher.

ASM by Wells #2 - 49 votes 3.8/5
    ASM by Wells #1 - 69 votes 4.3/5

Beyond #4 - 61 votes 4.1/5
    Beyond #3 - 64 votes 4.2/5
    Beyond #2 - 83 votes 4.2/5
    Beyond #1 - 116 votes 4.4/5

Want to go to individual issues on Kindle?

Amazing Spider-Man #19 - 77 votes 4.04/5 stars
    Amazing Spider-Man #18 - 88 votes 3.94/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #17 - 97 votes 3.84/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #16 - 97 votes 4.24/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #15 - 101 votes 4.14/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #14 - 119 votes 3.84/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #13 - 94 votes 4.24/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #12 - 130 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #11 - 125 votes 4.24/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #10 - 140 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #9 - 150 votes 3.94/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #8 - 159 votes 4.44/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #7 - 158 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #6 - 158 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #5 - 177 votes 4.44/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #4 - 165 votes 4.44/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #3 - 197 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #2 - 221 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #1 - 300 votes 4.34/5

This paints a very different picture to the majority voice on here who'd categorise this as a 0-2 out of 5 (myself included).

This is the general market who just buy their books, read them and apparently enjoy them at least enough for a lowest rating of 3.8/5, which is very much in the good/enjoyable territory.

That's the bulk of the readership.
    Last edited by exile001; 02-23-2023 at 05:26 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

ARkadelphia.."Paul IS Mephisto"...good call mate..

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

"Peter is not Matt Murdock"..and Felicia is not Elektra....Peter isn't Spidey because a burglar stole a painting/some jewellery...but because a burglar murdered Uncle Ben...Pete is not on a mission to track down every thief (or murderer even)....

But look, these discussions and these arguments can be made about what we want...how we want things to be....that's not my point...

All this angst, and lobbying about the marriage, sorry I'm bored of it...moving on...getting worked up about the sister line, I ask you...

And I've been in the pro marriage camp, and boycotted ASM for a while..

I'm not against MJ in favour of Felicia, I love both characters....as of now though Peter can have a relationship with Felicia, does have a relationship with Felicia, and, IS IN a relationship with Felicia...and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that...it's a good thing...I'm happy, so far...

Let's see next what happens with the "mystery box" issues featuring MJ....

BANNED

And the comic media wonder why Manga is killing western comics...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Yeah, sentiment in online fan spaces doesn't always carry over to the general buying audience. I think most people on Batman forums would be inclined to agree that The Joker is over-exposed. I agree with that too. But as far as the buying audience goes, people love The Joker, they want more more more Joker.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Just looking at the review on Amazon will show a very different sentiment about these books. These are people who have bought these books and are the few who have bothered to leave a score.

Only including the books with 10+ reviews we show a generally pretty happy crowd. Before you at me, the books with very few ratings are even higher.

ASM by Wells #2 - 49 votes 3.8/5
    ASM by Wells #1 - 69 votes 4.3/5

Beyond #4 - 61 votes 4.1/5
    Beyond #3 - 64 votes 4.2/5
    Beyond #2 - 83 votes 4.2/5
    Beyond #1 - 116 votes 4.4/5

Want to go to individual issues on Kindle?

Amazing Spider-Man #19 - 77 votes 4.04/5 stars
    Amazing Spider-Man #18 - 88 votes 3.94/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #17 - 97 votes 3.84/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #16 - 97 votes 4.24/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #15 - 101 votes 4.14/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #14 - 119 votes 3.84/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #13 - 94 votes 4.24/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #12 - 130 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #11 - 125 votes 4.24/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #10 - 140 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #9 - 150 votes 3.94/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #8 - 159 votes 4.44/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #7 - 158 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #6 - 158 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #5 - 177 votes 4.44/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #4 - 165 votes 4.44/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #3 - 197 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #2 - 221 votes 4.34/5
    Amazing Spider-Man #1 - 300 votes 4.34/5

This paints a very different picture to the majority voice on here who'd categorise this as a 0-2 out of 5 (myself included).

This is the general market who just buy their books, read them and apparently enjoy them at least enough for a lowest rating of 3.8/5, which is very much in the good/enjoyable territory.

That's the bulk of the readership.
    That's still a very small fraction to go off of. In fact if you look at it, there are less people leaving a vote at all as the series goes on which tracks with people leaving the book and the ones who are just collectors. It does entail people don't like the book and could be one of the things addresses at the retailers expo this week

BANNED

This issue isn't even in the top 100 comics sales on Amazon, I would suggest people should avoid mainstream comic news outlets because they're scared of losing interviews/comic reviews when it comes to the big two.

However, on the same day this issue came out, Superman 1 knocked it out of the park with a great comic that showed Marvel how to do a married super hero RIGHT.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    That's still a very small fraction to go off of.
    As is this forum. There are, what, 50 of us who post regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    In fact if you look at it, there are less people leaving a vote at all as the series goes on which tracks with people leaving the book and the ones who are just collectors. It does entail people don't like the book and could be one of the things addresses at the retailers expo this week
    The point I'm making is that our echo chamber isn't representative of the whole fanbase regardless of how much we may agree and want it to be true (and this forum will pretty much bend reality to "prove" the consensus is correct). Amazon proves there are people who feel this is a fine run.

You've immediately concocted a situation to disprove the numbers I've posted, which I only did to show there are people who like this.

Accept it or not, the likelihood is that the bulk of readers are enjoying this book to some degree and that's why they continue to buy it. That's just the reality of the situation.

I still think it's utter trash, but I've voted with my wallet (and refuse to waste my time reading it). That's all any of us can really do.
    Last edited by exile001; 02-23-2023 at 07:03 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    "Sister" LMFAO

"Lower case L in love" LMAFO

Could you be any more desperate to kill off the relationship and spite fans? just kill MJ off now, this is horrendous stuff all round.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse era of Spider-man in 33 years of reading Marvel, he's written like a thick, unlikeable, man child, moron, deadpool lite joke.

Lowe, Slott, Broovert, Joe Q, Wells and all involved in BND since have utterly, utterly killed the comic version of this character.

When the MCU version marries MJ, I can't wait for the back tracking by these "writers".

Peter Parker always had bad luck but he wasn't ever a POS, thank god for epic collections.
    Depends if they accept her as MJ most people here don’t so I won’t be surprised if some in editorial do
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

As is this forum. There are, what, 50 of us who post regularly?

The point I'm making is that our echo chamber isn't representative of the whole fanbase regardless of how much we may agree and want it to be true (and this forum will pretty much bend reality to "prove" the consensus is correct). Amazon proves there are people who feel this is a fine run.

You've immediately concocted a situation to disprove the numbers I've posted, which I only did to show there are people who like this.

Accept it or not, the likelihood is that the bulk of readers are enjoying this book to some degree and that's why they continue to buy it. That's just the reality of the situation.

I still think it's utter trash, but I've voted with my wallet (and refuse to waste my time reading it). That's all any of us can really do.
    I'm not saying there are not people who don't like this run, but the bulk number is every changing, but with trade sales too it's severly losing and all 3 vol are losing out to a resurging Spider-Man loves Mary Jane. They know it's not doing well at the margin of success that they like and Dark Web which was the writers main reason for taking this run underperormed a lot which is not good