Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Seeing Batman team-up with a Batman without his parents dead would be interesting.
    I think that Bruce still would have become Batman. But under different pretenses and probably would have taken a bigger step in Wayne Enterprises in terms of helping the community and the law enforcement. I could see that Bruce Wayne eventually running for Mayor of Gotham City and winning, while still being Batman.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    As it happens, this has already been answered:

https://screenrant.com/batman-saves-...change-origin/
    I forgot about this classic, Detective Comics #500 “To Kill A Legend”, I must say it is a most persuasive story (if neither parent died). And a good reminder that while quotes like I am vengeance! I am the night! are badass for Batman moments, Batman is more about justice than vengeance.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Absolutely not, Batman only exists because his entire world was ripped away in a sudden, shock moment. Also, the money he inherited allowed him to travel and eventually accrued what Batman would need.

If a parent had survived, he'd likely have been strongly inclined to remain very close to the survivor and become a doctor like his father.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    As it happens, this has already been answered:
    This doesn't really count, as his parents were saved BY Batman. It inspired him.

That's a different question to what would happen if event were the same, without intervention, but one parent was only wounded in the incident.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Absolutely not, Batman only exists because his entire world was ripped away in a sudden, shock moment. Also, the money he inherited allowed him to travel and eventually accrued what Batman would need.

If a parent had survived, he'd likely have been strongly inclined to remain very close to the survivor and become a doctor like his father.

This doesn't really count, as his parents were saved BY Batman. It inspired him.

That's a different question to what would happen if event were the same, without intervention, but one parent was only wounded in the incident.
    Yeah I know its not the same thing. But I and the others who've brought it up are just highlighting that its the closest DC has gotten to giving us an answer to a similar scenario.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

It's true, "To Kill A Legend" perhaps only works on its own idiosyncratic terms, circumstances. Great classic story nonetheless. Worth bringing up in this discussion.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah I know its not the same thing. But I and the others who've brought it up are just highlighting that its the closest DC has gotten to giving us an answer to a similar scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It's true, "To Kill A Legend" perhaps only works on its own idiosyncratic terms, circumstances. Great classic story nonetheless. Worth bringing up in this discussion.
    Definitely. It's a great story, too, probably my favourite Phantom Stranger story.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrynorine View Post
    Let say either his mom/or dad survived the shooting that night, would Bruce Wayne still have the strong desire to become the batman? Would Alfred still take on a parental role for the young lad?
    I think he would become Batman but a different one than what we have now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think you could do the same type of thing, Martha becomes a vengeful mama bear Batwoman, maybe with instead of Bruce becoming Robin in secret he's actually brought in by Martha the thinking being that the only way to keep him safe is to make him a weapon.

I'd read it.
    I do like it. However the Wayne’s would have to be awfully gifted to become Batman or Batwoman so late in life. I know they did it with Thomas in Flashpoint and made Martha the joker so whatev. Neat idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    I do like it. However the Wayne’s would have to be awfully gifted to become Batman or Batwoman so late in life. I know they did it with Thomas in Flashpoint and made Martha the joker so whatev. Neat idea.
    You could make them a more limited take on Bats rather than Batgod. They would have some skills due to prior expierence but would rely on stealth more.

Personally I don't think so. I think if Bruce had one of his parents the trauma would still be there and he'd want to do something for justice but I don't know if he'd become the same Batman he is today. I think he'd be a lot more stable and probably overprotective of the parent he still had left.

Gene Yang did a version of Bruce Wayne raised by his mom in the 1930s. I'm curious how he'd be as Batman.

Extraordinary Member

Modern Batman absolutely not imo. Too much of his backstory is based in how alone he felt and how obsessive he was into trying to prevent that tragedy from happening for someone else and the extremes he would go. Alfred couldn't put his foot down. If Thomas or Martha survived, he would have latched on very close to one of them and wouldn't have the hole that losing both of them left.