Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default any fans of Wild C.A.T.S?

Just wondering if anyone is still a fan of the old Wild CATS comic and the cartoon show.

Today Im binge watching the last half of the cartoon show on Tubi and its still pretty good even though Ive never read the original Wild C.A.T.S comic

Invincible Member

I saw the cartoon maybe twice when it was originally broadcast. I thought it was weird just in the fact that it was a kid's version of a comic that was considered kinda edgy for it's time. As far as the original run of the comic is concerned, if you like Jim Lee and Travis Charest's art, you probably enjoy it. Storywise, it ran out of steam pretty quickly but got better when James Robinson came on board, then more so when Alan Moore did a couple of arcs.

^^^Yeah! In total agreement about Alan Moore (XD)

For what it's worth, Moore/Charest made a wonderful team. Too bad Charest could only do a few issues, though...

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-23-2023 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Incredible Member

The Moore and Casey runs are the only times I was onboard for this series. I think those two made the best use of the concept and characters. Ellis was off to a good start as well with the Wild Storm stuff, but sadly that got discontinued.

Honestly after Alan Moore finished his run, Lee should've just ended there because IMHO nobody has or ever will top it. Do solo books on characters maybe rename the team of with Mr. Majestic, Savant, and the others give them a new series, but after Alan Moore Wild C.A.T.s just seemed rather directionless. Yes, I know there have been other writers that followed Moore but none of them made me want to buy another issue of Wild C.A.T.s (and none of the teams or their takes didn't interest me anyway) at this point even if Jim Lee drew a 12 issue arc written by Jim Starlin that MIGHT be the only creative team to get me buy it and even then it would be for as long as Starlin was involved.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    The Moore and Casey runs are the only times I was onboard for this series. I think those two made the best use of the concept and characters. Ellis was off to a good start as well with the Wild Storm stuff, but sadly that got discontinued.
    I need to finish the holes I have in the Casey runs. I like the idea that he was leaning more into the corporate espionage aspects of the book.

I agree about the Ellis revamp. Too bad it was killed as it was just getting started.

Joe Casey's run (Wildcats series 2 #8-28 and Wildcats 3.0 #1-24) is one of my all-time favorite comic runs. Even though Alan Moore put a definitive end to the core Kherubim vs. Daemonite conflict, Casey wrote fascinating stories about what soldiers do when their war is over, and how corporate power and super powers could combine to both change and save the world (and who would stand against that kind of progress). Sean Phillips and Dustin Nguyen both turned in incredible, but very different artwork.

Moore's run (WildC.A.T.s series 1 #21-34 and 50) is great too, but it suffered from getting caught up in Wildstorm crossovers (Fire From Heaven and another one I'm blanking on). I loved Travis Charest's artwork. Also, Moore's WildC.A.T.s set up Ed Brubaker's Point Blank and Sleeper, which I recommend highly to all.

Now that Wildcats and the rest of Wildstorm have been integrated into the DC Universe, I look forward to reading Matthew Rosenberg's first Wildcats TPB, after enjoying his Grifter serial in the Batman: Urban Legends book.
    Last edited by Big Bad Voodoo Lou; 04-09-2023 at 12:38 PM.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    Joe Casey's run (Wildcats series 2 #8-28 and Wildcats 3.0 #1-24) is one of my all-time favorite comic runs. Even though Alan Moore put a definitive end to the core Kherubim vs. Daemonite conflict, Casey wrote fascinating stories about what soldiers do when their war is over, and how corporate power and super powers could combine to both change and save the world (and who would stand against that kind of progress). Sean Phillips and Dustin Nguyen both turned in incredible, but very different.

Moore's run (WildC.A.T.s series 1 #21-34 and 50) is great too, but it suffered from getting caught up in Wildstorm crossovers (Fire From Heaven and another one I'm blanking on). I loved Travis Charest's artwork. Also, Moore's WildC.A.T.s set up Ed Brubaker's Point Blank and Sleeper, which I recommend highly to all.

Now that Wildcats and the rest of Wildstorm have been integrated into the DC Universe, I look forward to reading Matthew Rosenberg's first Wildcats TPB, after enjoying his Grifter serial in the Batman: Urban Legends book.
    Since it did not get a mention...

You might want to look into The Wild Storm if you are/were a fan of what is in blue.

As for the current ongoing, I'd politely advise against getting one's hopes up.

I mostly just watched the cartoon as a teen and thought it was cool

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I stuck with it while Lee was still drawing the book.
    Bailed after the Claremont storyline and Lee.

I did peek in for the second series for a bit, but haven't looked back. I do break out the originals every few years for a summer nostalgia re-read but like with the other original Image titles I was following, I bailed when Lee, Silvestri, and McFarlane quit as regular artists.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

You might want to look into The Wild Storm if you are/were a fan of what is in blue.

I'm planning to read The Wild Storm very soon, since all four volumes are available on Hoopla, through my public library system. I read some of it years ago, but don't remember anything and never finished it.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

BANNED

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Yeah, it's not a bad comic in the big scheme of things, but compared to other runs it seems a little unambitious.

Ultimate Member

The problem I have with DC’s handling of the Wildstorm heroes is they now exist to basically show how “good and upright” the DC heroes are. From Captain Atom Armageddon to the current Wild C.AT.S title, the Wildstorm heroes look to have severely regressed.

Outside of the Wild Storm by Ellis (which was a reboot of the entire Wildstorm universe), most of the characters are treated like murderous buffoons that get their asses handed to them by the DC characters while also being lectured by them.

Seriously, the current Wildstorm book has a Majestic that’s nothing like the original one and was kicked about by Superman like he was nothing. He’s basically a childish wannabe kryptonian and lacks all of the grandeur and maturity the original character possessed.

Anyways, the original Wild C.A.T.S book became something much more sophisticated when Moore took over the title. It was a little similar to how Ellis overhauled Stormwatch. That to me is the best part of the original run.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-06-2023 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The problem I have with DC’s handling of the Wildstorm heroes is they now exist to basically show how “good and upright” the DC heroes are. From Captain Atom Armageddon to the current Wild C.AT.S title, the Wildstorm heroes look to have severely regressed.

Outside of the Wild Storm by Ellis (which was a reboot of the entire Wildstorm universe), most of the characters are treated like murderous buffoons that get their asses handed to them by the DC characters while also being lectured by them.

Seriously, the current Wildstorm book has a Majestic that’s nothing like the original one and was kicked about by Superman like he was nothing. He’s basically a childish wannabe kryptonian and lacks all of the grandeur and maturity the original character possessed.

Anyways, the original Wild C.A.T.S book became something much more sophisticated when Moore took over the title. It was a little similar to how Ellis overhauled Stormwatch. That to me is the best part of the original run.
    Part of this is applying infantile cartoon morality to comics.... This is the same era of DC where Batman will do everything but killing someone.... cripple them for life... leave them in a place where they'll need medical attention or die.... fair game. also the "heroes don't kill" rule apparently only applies to HUMANS. Vampires? Martians? Kill 'em all and let the Source sort it out!

Now it IS true that this isn't a universal thing. It's more true the more a character is tainted by association with Batman. Green Lantern adjacent characters apply their moral logic to all races... since only a tiny handful of GLs ARE Human.