Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    Joe Casey's run (Wildcats series 2 #8-28 and Wildcats 3.0 #1-24) is one of my all-time favorite comic runs. Even though Alan Moore put a definitive end to the core Kherubim vs. Daemonite conflict, Casey wrote fascinating stories about what soldiers do when their war is over, and how corporate power and super powers could combine to both change and save the world (and who would stand against that kind of progress). Sean Phillips and Dustin Nguyen both turned in incredible, but very different.

Moore's run (WildC.A.T.s series 1 #21-34 and 50) is great too, but it suffered from getting caught up in Wildstorm crossovers (Fire From Heaven and another one I'm blanking on). I loved Travis Charest's artwork. Also, Moore's WildC.A.T.s set up Ed Brubaker's Point Blank and Sleeper, which I recommend highly to all.

Now that Wildcats and the rest of Wildstorm have been integrated into the DC Universe, I look forward to reading Matthew Rosenberg's first Wildcats TPB, after enjoying his Grifter serial in the Batman: Urban Legends book.
    i agree with the bolded part. never read the Moore stuff though.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Honestly after Alan Moore finished his run, Lee should've just ended there because IMHO nobody has or ever will top it. Do solo books on characters maybe rename the team of with Mr. Majestic, Savant, and the others give them a new series, but after Alan Moore Wild C.A.T.s just seemed rather directionless. Yes, I know there have been other writers that followed Moore but none of them made me want to buy another issue of Wild C.A.T.s (and none of the teams or their takes didn't interest me anyway) at this point even if Jim Lee drew a 12 issue arc written by Jim Starlin that MIGHT be the only creative team to get me buy it and even then it would be for as long as Starlin was involved.
    I think if Grant Morrison/Jim Lee run would have lasted twenty issue or hell six issues it would have been better than Moore's or at the very least have the potential
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

That first issue of Morrison Lee Wildcats remains one of my favourite comics ever. Such an effortless combination of all that has come before with tons of new ideas and hooks going forward. Wildstorm became the place where DC writers experimented with the actual effects of superbeings and supertech on a 21st Century Earth like world. "Our Village is too poor to even afford a Spartan!"

Pity Lee hated it with a passion. He wanted something less fantastical and gonzo. The Wild Storm of Ellis and co, was much closer to what he wanted and while very well done, i feel it lacked the glorious kitchen sink madness that Morrison had in mind. Pity.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since it did not get a mention...

You might want to look into The Wild Storm if you are/were a fan of what is in blue.

As for the current ongoing, I'd politely advise against getting one's hopes up.
    I binge-read The Wild Storm last week. It was good, but changed some things that didn't really need to be changed. I get that it was its own continuity, though.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Incredible Member

I just recently started getting collected editions of the original 1990s run.

20230415_202924.jpg

Only missing the Wildcats Trilogy TPB, I think.

Incredible Member

With Jim Lee having been at DC in a leadership position for a couple decades now, and with the current WildCATS series coming out, I'm surprised there hasn't been any modern collections for this book, including the Moore/Robinson/Claremont/Casey stuff. Most of the older trades are overpriced on Amazon. With Top 10 and Tom Strong coming out in compendiums, this would be a great candidate for that format.
    Last edited by newparisian; 04-18-2023 at 01:03 PM.

Incredible Member

The only Wildstorm comics that DC has bothered to put out collections for are the ones written by Warren Ellis (Planetary, Authority & Stormwatch), Jim Lee's first 13 issues of Wildcats and more recently the first 12 issues of Campbell's Gen13. Keeping the old Wildstorm books in print clearly isn't a priority for Jim Lee.

How I wish the new series was better. It’s like Rosenberg took the corporate concept only to take in the least interesting and cliched directions. I don’t even know what the team is supposed to be doing and what their goal is. And not because he’s building suspense, it’s just very badly written.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    How I wish the new series was better. It’s like Rosenberg took the corporate concept only to take in the least interesting and cliched directions. I don’t even know what the team is supposed to be doing and what their goal is. And not because he’s building suspense, it’s just very badly written.
    Just to point this out...

A lot of what is in blue became quite a bit more clear in the most recent issue.

Is it getting hunted down by Haydonites?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I wonder if he meant it in a "I'm gonna call Jim Lee and ask him to reprint his own comics" kinda way or "I'm gonna make a movie about these comics so they'll be forced to reprint them" LOL

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I just recently started getting collected editions of the original 1990s run.

20230415_202924.jpg

Only missing the Wildcats Trilogy TPB, I think.
    Man, looking at that Absolute edition...and then after-market prices...would be nice to see that reprinted in a "lesser" format.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Love the original team so much
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    Love the original team so much
    I know, right?! The one from Alan Moore/Travis Charest will always be a personal fave, though...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-23-2023 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.