Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    That blue and yellow exoskeleton look is great.
    I agree. It's very 'Steve Ditko' or maybe even 'Jack Kirby'. Maybe they shouldn't have covered so much of it up. I'd be fine if he ditched the helmet and shield and just became known as Exo, but I guess that's too close to XO (a Valiant character).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Well, she is more than that. She's an inventor -- so she's more similar to Hank Pym than she is to Janet (in comics). There aren't really that many unique power sets in comics -- it more about the character design and how they are utilized. Both characters could be at least B-list if someone took the time to do something interesting with them.
    I guess my problem is that Karen, despite being an inventor, doesn't get her shrinking ability from anything unique to her. Hank's shrinking power comes from Pym Particles which he invented himself and Palmer's power comes from the white dwarf star which he discovered himself. Karen's power comes from a Zeta Beam accident which is connected to Adam Strange and in the YJ show through Pay Palmer since she works in his lab.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I hate The Herald gimmick but I think Mal is super cool as The Guardian.

One of the many many underused characters/concepts of DC.
    I agree. Mal as the Guardian is way better.

The whole Hornblower thing is...kind of lame, and its not like the original Guardian has a huge fanbase (if any at all) that will protest.

Just make him the Guardian again and be done with it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I guess my problem is that Karen, despite being an inventor, doesn't get her shrinking ability from anything unique to her. Hank's shrinking power comes from Pym Particles which he invented himself and Palmer's power comes from the white dwarf star which he discovered himself. Karen's power comes from a Zeta Beam accident which is connected to Adam Strange and in the YJ show through Pay Palmer since she works in his lab.
    The other problem is that DC has with The Atom already franchise like Ant-Man that is all about shrinking.

Astonishing Member

Personally, I would eliminate the shrinking. As stated, DC already has shrinking heroes who can explore that power better -- including a couple of Atoms, Shrinking Violet and Doll Man. No reason she has to shrink!

You can have more than one shrinking hero. Hell, there’s like 20 human Green Lanterns (and how many members of the Flash family now?!?).

Except for Ray Palmer’s quick stint on the Titans when he was de-aged, there’s not gonna be anyone but Karen to fill that role in “Nightwing’s generation”. There’s also not a lot of super scientist in that generation either. So she has that Ant-Man/Atom role all to herself.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That something a future appearance could address. Is she an inventor in the comics and does she have any credits to her name? Did she invent the stingers and wings?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-03-2023 at 05:38 PM.

Extraordinary Member

You can have more than one shrinking hero.
    But it makes more sense when they are somehow connected.
    And it is a power that's also kind of circumstantial.

In Justice League they bring Ray usually only in for one story where they have a good use for the power than he is out again.

Except for Ray Palmer’s quick stint on the Titans when he was de-aged, there’s not gonna be anyone but Karen to fill that role in “Nightwing’s generation”.
    Ryan Choi?

Both characters have potential and I'm hoping DC uses them better in the future.

You can have more than one shrinking hero. Hell, there’s like 20 human Green Lanterns (and how many members of the Flash family now?!?).

Except for Ray Palmer’s quick stint on the Titans when he was de-aged, there’s not gonna be anyone but Karen to fill that role in “Nightwing’s generation”. There’s also not a lot of super scientist in that generation either. So she has that Ant-Man/Atom role all to herself.
    Shrinking is just a power, not a "role" to be "filled". "Nightwing's generation" doesn't NEED a shrink-er. (Why do I have to put in a hyphen in that word to get it not censored?)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I agree. Mal as the Guardian is way better.

The whole Hornblower thing is...kind of lame, and its not like the original Guardian has a huge fanbase (if any at all) that will protest.

Just make him the Guardian again and be done with it.
    What about Jake Jordan?

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Shrinking is just a power, not a "role" to be "filled". "Nightwing's generation" doesn't NEED a shrink-er. (Why do I have to put in a hyphen in that word to get it not censored?)
    YJ made her a legacy to Atom so you could follow suit in the comics.

I think it would be better if she wasn't a legacy but I see the value of her being one.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What about Jake Jordan?
    He's even more obscure than Mal so I could see him getting tossed away.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-04-2023 at 10:10 AM.

Karen and Mal animated appreciation (Mostly Karen)

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    YJ made her a legacy to Atom so you could follow suit in the comics.

He's even more obscure than Mal so I could see him getting tossed away.
    Doubtful. DC still uses him.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Doubtful. DC still uses him.
    He popped up in a Future State backup but has he been used since?

So I'm doubtful he's gonna be a consistent presence.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-04-2023 at 10:22 AM.