Thread: Doom vs. Earth

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Default Doom vs. Earth

Doctor Doom has had a terrible day. He's had to take out three rogue Doombots, had his breakfast cereal taken off the shelves after that damnable Richards announced that mankind "wasn't ready" for it, and inexplicably discovered squirrel poop in his spare mask. Then he sat down, turned on the TV, and discovered that he was being made fun of by a cable talk show, and snapped.

Earth didn't *deserve* to be taken over and ruled by a benevolent dictator, he decided. As the American peasants would put it; Earth could "suck it." Doom was going to find a better, alternate Earth to take over, and as a little goodbye present, Doom was going to make sure mainstream Marvel Earth was *destroyed.*

Here are the terms:
    - Even as a scenario, Doom is bloodlusted. He ain't stopping because someone he cares about lives here.
    - There are no convenient cosmic beings on Earth for him to powerjack.
    - In his fury, Doom feels no need to posture, gloat, or otherwise warn anyone about what he's doing - if he can destroy the Earth without alerting anyone, he will do so.
    - "Destroying the Earth" can consist of anything from merely causing an extinction event that wipes out humanity past the point of recovering the species, all the way to completely disintegrating the planet, blowing up the Sun, or whatever.
    - Doom has as much prep time as needed, but wants to get this over with - he's taking the fastest route he can.

How quickly can Doom destroy the Earth?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Oh I was thinking someone was opening a Hell Portal on Mars.

This will be even more annoying for the MunchKING to clean up.

Oh wait, the Scenario's about him blowing up Marvel U, not being the Earth that he tries to conquer.

Anyway, there's too many Over-powered just-shy-of-Cosmics on Earth for him to beat if they get any warning he's coming. I'm guessing as soon as he blows up something big, all the heroes and all the villains that like living band together and the collective amount of character shielding eventually takes him down. I mean he's a guy in a metal suit who likes throwing robot-duplicates at people. If he doesn't START with some kind of "Mind control the entire world" thing, Magneto and the other magnet powered guys ought to get a significant body count of Doombots. Let alone Franklin Richards, Scarlet Witch, whomever the Phoenix Force is inhabiting this week, or any other Casual Reality warpers.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

The breakfast cereal trigger was inevitable. Doom is a super-genius, but not a marketing expert, so he named his cereal Doom Flakes. Reed knew that the resulting mockery would have angered Doom, so he was trying to be proactive. He just didn't know about the squirrel poop.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    How quickly can Doom destroy the Earth?
    Without PIS/CIS, Doom destroys the Earth extremely quickly. It doesn't take him very long to built a giant antimatter bomb, or create a dangerous temporal rift, or whatever. His capabilities are too great.

Doom, working in secret, builds a super-weapon and destroys the Earth. It's done.

How long does it take? He probably already has everything he needs. Say, twenty-four hours simply to assemble everything?

No heroes show up to stop him because (1) they don't know what he's doing, and (2) even if heroes were told, the present scenario is so far outside of Doom's modus operandi they wouldn't believe it. ("No, your source must be wrong. Doom wants to rule the world, not destroy it.")

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Without PIS/CIS, Doom destroys the Earth extremely quickly. It doesn't take him very long to built a giant antimatter bomb, or create a dangerous temporal rift, or whatever. His capabilities are too great.

Doom, working in secret, builds a super-weapon and destroys the Earth. It's done.

How long does it take? He probably already has everything he needs. Say, twenty-four hours simply to assemble everything?

No heroes show up to stop him because (1) they don't know what he's doing, and (2) even if heroes were told, the present scenario is so far outside of Doom's modus operandi they wouldn't believe it. ("No, your source must be wrong. Doom wants to rule the world, not destroy it.")
    Co-signed.

Doom easily has the means to destroy the planet, should he desire. The ONLY chance is if Reed has some bizarre sensor system set up that's keyed to detect the specific energies of whatever Doom is putting together, and that Doom hasn't figured out that the accursed Richards surveils him (I mean, this is pretty common knowledge by this point). And that's only if Reed figures out what Doom is doing, other than the above. Most of the time it'll be 'Ah, Doom is futzing around with Time/Antimatter/whatever again, better get the team ready to fix whatever he messes up.' *Peter Parker's Spider-Sense goes wild, five seconds later planet explodes*

Will some of his enemies be left over? Sure. But that's about it, and he'll be gone.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Destroying the planet just isn't that hard by sci-fi standards. The real world has had the ability to make it uninhabitable for 70 years, after all. And a mindless rock smacking into it caused an extinction event back in the day. Not only could Doom do this, but characters below him in intellect could do it as well. I think even Wizard or Mad Thinker could pull it off if they really wanted to.

How long does it take? Doom did it already!

... but then Doom from elsewhere in the timeline went back and stops it. Nobody destroys Doom's planet! Not even Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I think even Wizard or Mad Thinker could pull it off if they really wanted to.
    I don't think the Wizard has any feats on that scale. He is all hat and no cattle.

Mad Thinker would certainly know the odds of his success before trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I don't think the Wizard has any feats on that scale. He is all hat and no cattle.

Mad Thinker would certainly know the odds of his success before trying.
    Wizard likes to think he can. Don't tell him otherwise. You'll just make him sad.

I don't see why Wizard or Mad Thinker couldn't cause an extinction event. Real world humans can do it with with enough resources. Wizard and Mad Thinker can't make 50 year old nuclear bombs, and create some delivery method to barrage key population centers and key ecological areas?

I don't see why Wizard or Mad Thinker couldn't cause an extinction event. Real world humans can do it with with enough resources. Wizard and Mad Thinker can't make 50 year old nuclear bombs, and create some delivery method to barrage key population centers and key ecological areas?
    Mad Thinker could hack into every nation's defense network and trigger the launch sequences. Full scale nuclear war, all atomic assets activated at once.

I assume that we would look to previous feats of mad science to see what they are capable of doing. Wizard seems to specialize in gadgets that work on an extremely local scale, like a suit of armor, or strength-enhancing power gloves, or hand-tossed anti-grav discs. Mad Thinker has at least demonstrated some decent programming skills, judging by the range of androids that he has created, so I could picture him maybe hacking a nuclear launch system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Doom already has a device somewhere capable of destroying the Earth, either on it's own or with very minor modifications. I'd almost be willing to say he snaps his fingers and it's done/set in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    How long does it take? Doom did it already!

... but then Doom from elsewhere in the timeline went back and stops it. Nobody destroys Doom's planet! Not even Doom!
    This.....sounds REMARKABLY accurate.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Doom already has a device somewhere capable of destroying the Earth, either on it's own or with very minor modifications. I'd almost be willing to say he snaps his fingers and it's done/set in motion.
    Pretty much this. Dude has all kinds of stuff just lying around, like Reed. Would be mind-blowing if one of those things weren't capable of making planet go boom or couldn't be modified to do so in a couple of hours.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate