Thread: New Arkham?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default New Arkham?

I think everyone can agree Arkham Asylum is a joke. Has there ever been a story were Bruce offers to build a new state of the art Asylum in Gotham? It would make sense to create a new maximum security Asylum with state of the art technology to finally close the revolving door that Arkham has always been. I know the old creepy Arkham is iconic, but it gets harder and harder to justify keeping mentally ill people in dungeons.

You would think it would just make Batmans job easier if there was a more secure place to take his villains

They tried Arkham Tower but that blew up in everyone's faces.

The problem is just that by it's very nature Arkham has to be a joke to service the story because we can never have villains permanently neutralized or locked up because the story will need them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And then there was that period where Wayne Manor served as Arkham.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I think Wayne is usually linked to Arkham, be it heavily financing it and/or putting in money for it's bi-annual build/rebuild. That has certainly been mentioned on and off since the 90s.

Speaking of redesigned Arkham Asylums, anyone else remember this monstrosity? Lol.

arkham-reborn-1-003-04.jpg
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's something you just kind of have to accept.

It's really no more silly than the Batmobile really, even in a smaller city like Boston the traffic at night is going to make getting anywhere fast by car(even if it is suped up) not especially fast but we accept that Batman is able to beat the GCPD to the scene in his car all the same.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The problem is just that by it's very nature Arkham has to be a joke to service the story because we can never have villains permanently neutralized or locked up because the story will need them again.
    Yeah putting Arkham Asylum in a skyscraper in the middle of Gotham City was a terrible decision.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah putting Arkham Asylum in a skyscraper in the middle of Gotham City was a terrible decision.
    Always count on Nakano to make stuff worse .